• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hide and seek

S

sga

When I was kid, a game we played and I'm sure most if not all of you also played the the same game was HIDE AND SEEK.
Whoever had to do the seeking when they found one of the hidden,had to run back to their base (lampost usually) and shout AKKEY 1 2 3 (don't know if i spelt it right)
Did anybody else play this game with the same saying and if so what does AKKEY mean?

Hi sga
Of course everyone must have played that game but as I remember it we used to shout Hacky 123 with a H,
Either way I still haven't got a clue what it meant but I'm sure one of our learned friends will come up with the answer

Hi sga
Of course everyone must have played that game but as I remember it we used to shout Hacky 123 with a H,
Either way I still haven't got a clue what it meant but I'm sure one of our learned friends will come up with the answer

thats alright jerryd I read with both ears and I'm ambridextrous (bet thats spelt wrong) in both eyes

:D Well guys found this here.

Ackers = Money (Akkey - me thinks :idea: )
www.virtualbrum.co.uk/slang

(The Ackers were a very well known wealthy English family in the 18-19 century. Ackers Hall, mills, coal Pitts, shipping the lot.)

But nothing with a 'H' - don't think I ever used ' H's ' when I was a kid, Yo musta bin posh jeryd :) . "Me air", "Me at", " Me ed ", "Our ouse" and Paul's " Oorses " :? :lol:. Played 'oide an seek' though, still do with the kids at work, butI'm now 'Posh' too and call it Hide and seek. :lol: :lol:

Also looked here but there was nothing.
LINK REMOVED

I an't gunna even try that other word :!:
Chris :)

I worn't posh onest
Maybe it was ackee but as I recall the game when you spotted someone you had a race with them to get back to the ackee post - if they got there before you you couldn't ackee them so maybe we said hackee because we were out of breath - that's my story anyway

What's in a name?

:D A sga this is a quote from another thread...

Why do people always think 'POM' is a BOY
'... I am Woman...' or something like that ...

.CHRISTINE

sga
nice one lads its appreciated...

sorry diana and lasses

So where's my name :?: :cry: :cry:
And don't say I was included in the 'lasses' 'cause I don't believe it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What can I say Chris? I will stand Chastised in the corner for a hour later today.Sorry about that :(

Hide & Seek

Yes, when I was a lad Wow was it that long?
We used to say Akey 123, Why? I dont know
as regards "Acker"s / Akers, we would use that term for lolly when I was overseas
Another game comes to mind, How about
"Polly on the mobstick" remember that?

I think ackey was excusing yourself from being found .

We used to say "arley barley" as well but with hide and seek it was ackey ..

I remember Acky 123 so well. As I remember, if you shouted 'Barley' you were claiming it wasn't your fault when you were caught. It was always somebody else's (a likely story I must say). Anyway that is why lawyers were invented, your Honour! It wasn't fair!
Peter

SARDINES

Never mind hide and seek and akkey and all that, a better game was SARDINES. This was where one person went off to hide, usually where we lived it was up a dark entry. Then the others had to find this person, and when they did, they stayed with this person all crammed together. This was the bit I enjoyed especially if it was a GIRL.

I could have stayed there all night.

Peter Arley Barley was also used to pause a game of Army or whatever so that the rules could be argued or added to, it provided a break so no one could shoot or kill you. Mind you how any of us survived is anybodies guess we all carried invisible tommy guns with an endless supply of ammo, the times Ive been shot at point blank and lived to fight on >:D

I know now why I keep coming back to this site :2funny: :idiot2: You all keep me smiling at all the silly things we used to do. But it was very serious. I'm sure we had more fun them days than the kids do today. We also played football and cricket in the season of course with a dustbinlid and a piece of wood for a bat.If the ball went into Mrs Phones you were out.She wouldn't give us our ball back and she locked the gate. I was the littlest, and had to be backstop. The ball always went way down the entry. Good fun though wasn't it? :smitten:

He's never right that Mr Langadoodle,but we love him ::) :smitten:

I am sure we said Hacky too when we played hide and seek - was told it's bad to drop H's ??

Had to laugh about ambidextrous (sp?) thing - I have two sons who are both Ambi.. thingymyjig - when they were little and learning to draw and write I write with my right hand - while their dad writes left handed - so naturally our boys grew up able to use both hands to write with etc..
I absolutley insisted that my boys were left to sort themselves out at school and grow to decide which hand they'd prefer writing with etc.. at school (so no teacher ever dare tell my boys off for using left hand like in the old days) and the result is they still use both hands for writing now - they are 17 and 19 years of age now - they never grew out of it - it still makes me laugh when I see my sons writing or drawing cause they start a sentence with left hand and finish it with right hand.
I'd love to be able to use both hands ;D

Langstraat
I was in Arizona a few years ago with my son and decided one balmy afternoon to climb Thumbe Butte were the Military do all the training.
We got to to top the easy way but as it was a few hours climb I was not prepared to go back the same way, so over the top we went which was a sheer cliff face.
Ashen faced my son followed till we could get no further and we was still about 800ft from the bottom
till I said copy me and went down a chimney. My son was horrified and thought I was going to meet my maker, but I shouted to him I learnt this when I was a kid "Come On" not realizing he had never done it before, anyway we was halfway down when he fell and hit me, I went rolling down the hill and straight for a big cactus and thought "This is is"
My son talks about it till this day, he said our old man was done for and as he appproached that cactus he did a flip and went flying over the top of it.
When I got back to the place I was staying I had a stiff drink and Pete found me asleep in the Shower which was still running.
Great Times
Without those enteries (sic) I would have been done for

Hi, Dennis,I do remember Polly on the ...... but us kids called it Polly on the mop stick 123

HI THANKS TOM /JERRY , I DON,T KNOW WHERE ACKIE COMES FROM IT CERTAINLY AINT ASTON MATE,S BUT I HAVE JUST GOT TO SAY I WAS FEELING ALITTLE DOWN AT THE MOMENT ,CO,S MY MISSUS, HIS AT WORK EARNING OUR ACKER,S FOR OUR HOLIDAY ,S BUT YOU HAVE CERTAINLY PUT A SMILE BACK ON MY FACE WITH THE BANTER YOU HAVE GIVEN EACH OTHER ,, KEEP IT UP LAD,S ACKIE ONE TWO THREE,,

When ever i mention Ackey 123 to anyone outside Birmingham they always look at me very strangely and I have to explain!

What was the game where you faced a wall and threw a ball behind you to your mates and you had to guess who had the ball. Simple wasnt it ! My trouble and strife remembers a similar game without a ball, but you had to guess who had moved position. Was that `Statues`? Somewere in this game you spelled out very quickly L-O-N-D-O-N London .

I remember LONDON, and yes they had to walk up slowly behind you, and the first one to get there without being noticed was the winner, I had forgotten that game,

Back