• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hercules Manor Works Long Acre

W

Wendy

Can anyone identify this factory. It may be Hercules Cycle Works but I am not sure. I am still trying to identify and scan a pile of demolition photo's which are unfortunately mixed up and not even dated.

img358.jpg

Looks like Hercules in top left corner & Cycles in top right of building stonework white background,

Can anyone enhance the photo to scan better and possibly get the Two street nameplates clearer.

Cheers John

The photo currently does not have enough detail to zoom into the names as far as I can tell - it pixelates quite quickly. Managed to sharpen it but that was as far as I could get.

Can anyone identify this factory. It may be Hercules Cycle Works but I am not sure. I am still trying to identify and scan a pile of demolition photo's which are unfortunately mixed up and not even dated.

View attachment 86919

If this is Hercules Cycle Factory, then the above does not appear to be the same place.
hercules-cycles-638581483.jpg

View attachment 86919

Could this be the junction of Long Acre, with Salford St to the left and Crompton Road to the right?

and to add, from Wikipedia, not conclusive, but likely, this:-

In 1928 Hercules .......... In 1929, it took over the Dunlop factory in Nechells, less than a mile to the north-west in Long Acre. This site was named Manor Mills.

A third factory was added in the 1950s in Plume Street, Long Acre, a short distance from Manor Mills. By this time, Hercules had become one of the largest businesses in Aston, and helped give the area its character.[5] To this day, the mascot of Aston Villa football club is Hercules the Lion.

I have tried scanning on a high resolution but it makes no difference as the original is not good enough. Here is another photo which may be the other end of the factory. Any suggestions would be great thank you.

img340.jpg

My first job when I left school in 1944 was Hercules Cycles Rocky Lane, and that does not look like it to me (it was a long time ago so I could be wrong) . Lyn (Astoness) sent me a pic of Hercules Cycles  some time ago but cannot seem to find it.   Eric

My first job when I left school in 1944 was Hercules Cycles Rocky Lane, and that does not look like it to me. Lyn (Astoness) sent me a pic of Hercules Cycles some time ago but cannot seem to find it. Eric

Yes Eric. Rocky Lane it is I think this later became Tube Investments (TI) but as soon as Bazz sees this he,ll confirm it Dek

Could it be the Rover works at Tyseley?

My husband is convinced the photo was Smethwick somewhere. So many factories, that's the problem.

Looking at the first photo and remembering these were photo's of demolition. Looking at the picture curly posted the top floor could be missing. Instead of 4 floors there are only 3.

Assuming that the general consensus is the the view is of Long Acre and the road to the left is Salford St this would then make the building in the shot Nicholson S G (Engineers) Ltd air Compressors all we need now is photo to prove or disprove that the building is Nicholson S G (Engineers) Ltd air Compressors

Source 1940 Kelly's Directory

I think that this shot of google earth https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ni...f.&biw=1280&bih=820&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
proves that the build in the photo is the same in Google Earth

Assuming that the general consensus is the the view is of Long Acre and the road to the left is Salford St this would then make the building in the shot Nicholson S G (Engineers) Ltd air Compressors all we need now is photo to prove or disprove that the building is Nicholson S G (Engineers) Ltd air Compressors

Source 1940 Kelly's Directory

Looking at the first photo and remembering these were photo's of demolition. Looking at the picture curly posted the top floor could be missing. Instead of 4 floors there are only 3.

We need to remember that there were three? factories and the brochure may not have been the Long Acre one!!

Eric & Dek, as you say, the Hercules plant did become Tubes Ltd (TI), and when I saw those pictures, even I thought it might be the same building. The second pic appears to be looking up Rocky Lane from just over the little bridge on the bend (just up from William Henry St.) Admittedly, it does look different from my time there between 1964-1977 though.

The more I look at this photo The more I,m sure I was wrong its not Rocky Lane at all. Its the Bottom of Long Acre There,s a van coming out of Cuckoo Rd and 2 Pylons in the background going to Nechells Power Station.Dek

The single story building on the left of the photo is still in Long Acre but has a different frontage that would make the building that is to be demolished
Nicholson S G (Engineers) Ltd air Compressors of Long Acre

The more I look at this photo The more I,m sure I was wrong its not Rocky Lane at all. Its the Bottom of Long Acre There,s a van coming out of Cuckoo Rd and 2 Pylons in the background going to Nechells Power Station.Dek

Hi Wendy and all, Dek Carr is correct with the location, as I once lived just up the hill of long acre it was the Hercules bike factory also known as the manor works.

here is a photo of the same building taken from Verity's top floor in the 1950's

Wendy I would think your two picture were taken about 1961-3 the reason I say this is I can remember the council replacing the gas lamps on Long Acre.

nechells-long acre late 1950s.jpg

the Hercules Cycle I worked at (in the despatch dept) in 1944 was situated left hand side of Rocky Lane, just down from Aston Cross, not in Long Acre, did they have more than one plant ?? I do not think that pic is the place I worked, but as I said it was a long time ago and I could be wrong. Eric

Wow what a great bunch you are. I can see clearly the photo is one and the same building although it looks like the top floor has gone and the demolition started. It seems to be a massive building. At least I now know definitely thanks again.

I know I am a pain but I am trying to sort these photo's and scan them after all it is still our city's history. Do you think this is the same building.

img343.jpg

I know I am a pain but I am trying to sort these photo's and scan them after all it is still our city's history. Do you think this is the same building.

View attachment 86937

Most definitely. Check out the wall, the telegraph pole & the gas? street lamp. The Standard Ensign would be 62-63 registered!

.......and no, you're not a pain! I, for one, enjoy the challenge.

Could it be, as the cars suggest, the old Roots Motors works along the A45?

I think you'll find that we have identified the factory, but the OP, in post #26, is trying to determine if it's the same factory as in post #1.

Back