• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help and Information

• Thread starter Thread starter sfisher57
  • Start date Start date
S

sfisher57

Could someone please help or advise me? I was born 6th march 1957, at Marston Green Maternity Hospital, at the time my mum was back living with her mum in Kitts Green, Sheldon. I only found out 3-4 months ago that my father was an American GI stationed over here at the time, I found out through a family member as my mother never told me, and she died 16yrs ago. His name was left off my birth certificate, but I was wondering if the hospital records or the local church records would possibily show it and how could I find this out? I do know his name through the family member, but that is all the information I have, and wondered if those records, if there are any would have any more information as I am in the process of trying to trace my father through the website GItrace but with little success at the moment, so I would really appreciate some help and advice from someone on this site, if at all possible. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from someone soon. Sharon Fisher(Morse).

Sharon,

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I notice your other posting noting your lack of replies to this one. Probably a hard nut to crack, this one!

If your biological father's name was omited from your birth certifcate, I think it unlikely that there is a record of his name amongst hospital records or for a possible christening. However, according to other sources, the Maternity Hospital was demolished in 1999, so your first problem will be to establish what happened to the records when the hospital closed. An email to Birmingham Archives might be a good starting point.

I'm sure that other Forum members more familiar with the Sheldon area will be able to suggest possible churches where a christening may have taken place. Church records will most likely be held by Birmingham Archives at the Central Library.

A few years ago I was researching details of a similar case involving a Canadian serviceman for a friend. She knew the name and the province in Canada where he came from. With the help of a Canadian family history group in that area I was able to find details of his subsequent death and even obtain a copy of his military record.

Now I've started the ball rolling, perhaps a few members more knowledgeable than me can help you on your way.

Regards,

Maurice :cool:

Thank you for your reply, I will email Birmingham Archives first thing tomorrow. I am off on holiday saturday, so hopefully I can get on a computer while I am away. I dont think I will have the same weather as you in Crete, as I am going to Scotland, but you never know, I have been to Scotland before and had sunburn. Thanks once again for your help. Take care. Sharon.:)

Hi Sharon: Welcome to the forum. If you cannot trace your father through hospital records and his name was not on your birth certificate, etc. then I would think that you would have to try and trace him through his service record. Which service was he in during the l950's in Britain? His name you have already but any other information would be helpful in order to trace him. His age at the time is another important thing. If his surname wasn't that common then he would more than likely be easier to trace.

Here is another couple of sites to trace American GI's if you haven't already seen them. https://www.angelica.dds.nl/armybase.htm........
https://www.militaryrecords.com/....
.https://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=32&aid=70316

The sites are self explanatory and I hope that if you can't trace your father through your birth records then you might find him on one of these sites. Good luck Sharon. Hope you have a great holiday.

Last edited:
Sharon,
Welcome to the

I'm sure that other Forum members more familiar with the Sheldon area will be able to suggest possible churches where a christening may have taken place. Church records will most likely be held by Birmingham Archives at the Central Library.

Regards,

Hi Maurice

Would the records be at Birmingham though? I don't think Marston Green was ever part of Birmingham, but was previously in Warwickshire before
becoming part of Solihull Metropolitan Borough. Both my children were
born there, and I remember thinking at the time (1960's) how many 'Brummies' were not actually born in Birmingham.

A bit like Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham Airport, and the N.E.C. None of these were ever in Birmingham (contrary to popular belief.)

Kind regards

Dave

In 1995 the Marston Green Maternity hospital was brought into the Birmingham hospital area.
It is now demolished and houses built on the site but if you contact the Trust you will be able to access forms which will enable you to request access to the archives.
Anyone born at Marston Green whose birth was registered by the visiting registrar was registered at Meriden.
My son was born at home in Chelmsley in 1873 and registered at Chelmsley but his entry says registered Meriden.
The address on my house deeds 1968 say Chelmsley Estate,Meriden,Warwickshire.We came under the control of Solihull in 1974.

heartofengland.nhs.uk

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Dave,

I think Alberta has partly answered your question as the hospital was apparently demolished in 1999. Successive governments have messed around with the NHS hierarchy, so you can't always be certain who has the records - if they still exist from 1957.

In my limited experience, such records are frequently destroyed after a few years as, for practical purposes, no one is likely to look at them again, and the hospital has neither the space to store them nor the funds to microfilm them. A legal birth certificate has been raised and you're well outside the time limit for bringing an action against the hospital on medical grounds. There seems to be a tendency to dispose of records in many official organisations as soon as they can! Companies House, for instance, automatically destroy records as soon as a company has been out of business for 20 years.

Ooooh Alberta, I thought the oldest man had just died. I think you meant to type 1973 didn't you not 1873?

Regards trebor.

Thanks to eveyone for replying, I hope I can use a computer where I am staying then I will be able to send more personal replies to you all. Thanks again for your help. Sharon.

Hello Sharon Welcome to the forum, it looks as youve made your mind up
about finding your father, if you do its going to be an awlful shock for him if you turned up on his doorstep after all this time, I am no expert in
these matters you read so many times when it would have been better to
let sleeping dogs lie, I remember the words of an song my dad used to
sing, Why should one moment of gladness bring forth a lifetime of sadness. I wish you all the best and hope everything works out for you
Bye Bernard

Hi Alberta,
Thanks for your message, just one question, by the Trust do you mean Birmingham Health Trust? Take care Sharon

Back