• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heathfield Road Handsworth

Used to buy a glass of pop at the sweet shop next to the Villa Cross in the sixties. Lived in Anglesey st of the Lozells rd. Happy memories Saturday morning at the pictures
Ray

Still an open plot of land Pedro. Surprised it’s not been sold to developers for a tidy sum.

Love the spotlights on the caravans in Pedro’s B&W photo ! What did ‘FWC’ stand for on the barriers next to the Slow sign ? Viv.
CCA0ACF5-33CB-4192-B09A-DE1A39BA8B27.jpeg

I have this image of Heathfield Rd, but cannot now locate its origin.
Please assist
David

Attachments

• Heathfield.png
    Heathfield.png
    345.5 KB · Views: 23
It loads fine for me too. Reposting the modern-day comparison from post #22. The other photo in that post was the same as post #65. Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707_081617_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707_081617_Chrome.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 20
This house/shop has been mentioned on the Villa Cross thread. The B&W photo dates to 1963. To its left, just in view, is the Villa Cross Cinema. It’s possible the original cast iron road sign is the same one still above the doorway. The cinema has gone and new residential buildings have replaced it, although I think they’re set further back than the original cinema footprint. We might have been able to detect a ghost sign on the wall of the alleyway, but it now seems to have had several years of paint applied. Looks a bit forlorn today compared to the days when it was part of a quaint terrace. Viv.

View attachment 171671View attachment 171672
just doing a bit more research on this building as it played a big part of my childhood...loved going in there before going to the villa cross picture house next door...used to pay a penny for a glass of tizer..happy days..as you will read the shop was once part of heathfield terrace..amazing how it escaped demo..dates back to at least 1829...the info below is courtesy of mikejee..it just looks so sad standing there all alone after the best part of 200 years of history...if only it could talk..i passed it the other day

7 Heathfield Road

Originally (1867-1873 directory) was 1 Heathfield Terrace. Someone living in the terrace is mentioned in 1829 and also when the terrace was sold in 1831. Presumably the houses in the terrace were similar and had similar tenants. In that case it can be seen from a sale in 1836 that the inhabitants of the terrace were "genteel"
In 1845 Mr J.P,Lucas is recorded as selling the cottage (no 1). In the 1845 Directory a James Phillip Lucas is listed as being an auctioneer, appraiser and land surveyor at 61 High St. I think it likely this is the same person.
1858 directory did mention 3 Heathfield Terrace, but not no 1 ,
1866 - 1868 Mr Gideon Goold
1876 - 1878 Henry Edward Knight, shopkeeper
1879 - 1882 Henry Edward Knight, carpenter & toy dealer
1883 - 1888 Henry Edward Knight, carpenter
1908 - 1915 Mrs Mary Asbury , toy dealer
1921 - 1924 Mrs Mary Asbury , confectioner
1932 - 1933 Misses Williams & Allcock, confectioners
1936 - 1949 Thomas Powell, confectioner & Benjamin Brant
1950 - 1970 Mrs Florence Brant , confectioner and Benjamin Brant
1971 T.M. & P.J.Vernon, confectioners, & Benjamin Brant
1972 - 1973 T.M. & P.J.Vernon, confectioners

The Birmingham Journal lists Gideon Goold as being bankrupted in 1857
The 1861 directory lists Gideon Goold as a jeweller with residence in Victoria Road
The 1862 directory lists Gideon Goold as a jeweller in Victoria Road
In 1866 Gideon Goold at the wedding of his daughter is stated to be living in Heathfield
1867 directory lists Goold & Goold , goldsmiths & jewellers at 46 Northampton St
In 1874 Gideon Goold patented an improvement on cocks and valves for controlling the flow of liquid

todays st view below

Last edited:
Was that the little old house now standing on it's own? How sad it looks, it must be strange to be living there now - I wonder if it will survive all the redevelopment.

Was that the little old house now standing on it's own? How sad it looks, it must be strange to be living there now - I wonder if it will survive all the redevelopment.
ive tried to post vivs photo which is on post 50 but it wont let me...saying not expected image but i am having no problem emailing it..very odd but like i said there is a photo of it on post 50

lyn

correction i cant email the photo that is on post 50 so no idea what the problem is

ive tried to post vivs photo which is on post 50 but it wont let me...saying not expected image but i am having no problem emailing it..very odd but like i said there is a photo of it on post 50

lyn
Easiest to post link to post #50. I can't post image either.

That is Mrs Brandts sweet shop! I went there most Saturday mornings before going to the pictures And when I go5 a little older went there right before going to the pictures. Opposite there was a chip shop on I believe Barker opposite Cowdrils bycle shop after the pictures. All this cost 2 shillings!
snap richard..nice to know the shop is still there even though it is all by itself doing nothing

lyn

thanks jan..yes they had quite few planning apps refused over the years

lyn

Back