• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth during the 50's and 60's

T

Tammy71

Hi I am conducting some research at university about social aspects of Handsworth during the 1950's and 1960's. I have conducted a oral interview with a women who was born and grew up on Alfred Street. If any one else grew up around Alfred Street, Watville Road, Downing Street and or Charles Street or local vicinity I would be so grateful if your would like to share any of your childhood memories.
Do you remember Rolfe Street Baths -
SlipperBathsWattvilleRoadSchool
Baythems
Charabanc (Sharabang outings)
Back to Backs in Handsworth.
I will be eternally Grateful to anyone who may help
Thank You
Tammy

Thanks Guys

Thank You for your tips and have researched both extensively, although there is very little relating to my research on digital Handsworth and a couple of useful things on Handsworthhistory. What i have in fact discovered is there is a massive gap in the History of Handsworth. The bit relating to the 1950's and 1960's.
Thanks Anyway
Tammy

Hi Tammy
just logged on and i can tell you i was born in handsworth, I lived in a grove off Wattville rd,learnt to swim at Rolfe st,train spotted on the rail banks,spent many happy hours down Wasson pool,went to Wattville school,Regal Picture houseand had my hair cut at the training centre by the Albion

Re: Thanks Guys

I lived in Handsworth on the Soho Road opposite the library between 1959 and 1961. As a result of immigration the character of the area was changing but did not appear to be causing any problems. I returned for a brief look about fifteen years ago and my first floor flat was looking rather sorry for itself and uninhabited following the disturbances.

Just curious Tammy, what do you feel is the gap is in the Handsworth History? Is just that those years are not mentioned.
Like many of the other folks on here I was brought up in Handsworth.
Hope your research is going well. Mo

I attended Handsworth Technical School 52-55. it was just behind the library/old town hall on Soho Road then...Goldshill Rd. I can't say that I knew of back-to backs out there but possibly Handsworth extended further south at one time. Handsworth was a very decent place in those times and bus services West Brom and Birmingham were very frequent. The trams had gone by then. The houses were mostly early 1900s and well kept up...if I remember rightly. It's so sad to see some of the 'derelict' pictures on here now. Many of those houses deserved a better fate methinks.

Here's a link that may help you https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=941&st=handsworth

I grew up in Handsworth and lived there between 1941 and 1956. As Rupert says, it was a decent place to live in those days.

I do remember one court of back to back houses, and this was behind the Beehive Pub on Soho Hill. The Beehive was opposite my old school, Soho College (the building is still there but no longer a school). I often used to take a short cut through the gates at the left hand side of the pub, through the Court, which had brewhouses at either end, and into Terrace Road (I think) which in turn led into Villa Road. This is the only back to back houses I knew of.

I used to know several Technical College boys and boys from the Grammar School in Grove Lane. They often used Handsworth Park, where my school used to have tennis lessons in the summer. The Park was a very popular meeting place for boys and girls.

When I lived there there was a tram terminus at the top of Villa Road where it joined Soho Road. The tram went down to Lozells and I loved going on it.

Judy

Hello Tammy
I live in Cross St just of Wattville went to that 'dred' school with Keith Baythem. Any good ? What do you want too know?

Hello Tammy
I've only today discovered the site so I'm like a kid on christmas morning.
I lived in Malvern Road next to Wattville Road from 1950 - 1959 and went to Wattville Road nursery, infants and juniors. I went back to visit last year ( my 60th birthday) and was sad that the juniors school building was no longer, although the prefab class that I was in during my infant school days was still in use on the junior school site.
I still have a photo of the football team and somewhere, the athletics team but more importantly a sharp memory of teachers, pupils and stories etc.
Miss Butler was in charge of the nursery 1953.
Miss Fowler was in charge of the infants and Mr Bennett was in charge of the juniors. Oh yeah, the caretaker was Mr James and his assistant was Old Bill!
All the boys of my age were hopelessly in love with Pat Yeates and all the girls went for Nobby Sutton, who lived in Wattville Road, just over and up from Percy Fleet the newsagent shop.
I'd be happy to share more memories,
Laurie

Hi Laurie: Have you looked at the Friends Reunited site for info on Wattville Junior School. There are some names and photos of that school on the site. It's free to have a look. www.friendsreunited.co.uk

Last edited:
Hi Judy,
Just noticed your post regarding Handworth and note that you went to Soho College. I went there from 1951 until it closed in 1959 when we transferred to Greenmore College on the Bristol Road. We used to get the coach
from the College to Greenmore every day. Luckily I only went there for a few months before I left school when I went to work in an office in Smethwick. We had lived there for a few months after leaving Vicarage Road Handsworth where I was born. My name at the time was Pamela Manton.

Hi Pamela,

You must have been at Soho College the same time as me, but you would have been younger. I left in 1954. I was in the Commercial Dept for about a couple of years before I left, learning shorthand/typing/bookkeeping etc. Miss Newbury was my teacher there. There was also Mr Knight, Miss Higginbotham, and Mrs Williams that I remember. Rita Tongue, who was ex-headgirl, eventually became a teacher at the college. You might have known my sister Margaret Tuck, who was best friends with Christine Higgins. She is 3 years younger than me.

Another coincidence is you living in Vicarage Road! I lived in Soho Avenue just round the corner. I recently put a VE Day photo on one of the threads, which was of the street party in Vicarage Road. I will see if I can find it and give you the link.

Judy

Hi Pam

Just realised that I was recently talking on the "Old Birmingham Schools" thread to your cousin, Paul Stacey, who mentioned you going to Soho College. The VE Day photo I put on seems to have been removed so I will look it out and put it on again for you as there are several members of your family on it.

Judy

Hi Judy, I've only recently found this forum so all this information about Handsworth and area is a joy to me. It has brought back so many lovely memories of my childhood in Handsworth and has caused me to try to bring back memories long forgotten. All the names you mention are familiar but I have difficulty in putting faces to them. I too spent 2 years in the Commercial Department and remember all the names of the teachers you mention. I also remember your sisters name and that of her friend. Did you live at Soho House? I remember going there with a friend probably your sister. Her name is very familiar. Although my cousin Paul left Birmingham years ago, his heart is in Handsworth, particularly Vicarage Road. He was born there
Such a small world! I have also found out from Mabz that his nan lived in the same house in Severn Grove as my grandparents had in 1900.....amazing..........Pam

Hi again - regarding the VE Day photo, I have a copy somewhere and if it is the same one I am the 2 year old sitting on the lap of a young girl who lived next door to us. We are on the front row ...........Pam

Hi Pam

I've just found my VE Day photo. Are you the little blonde girl siitting on the older girl's knee in the middle of the photo? I am sitting next but one to you if you are! I am sitting 6th from the right on the front row, with dark coat and headband. My sister is at the other end of the row. She is the small girl sitting on the knee of the older girl with the dark top. Next to the lady who is your grandmother I think. There are several members of your family in this photo according to Paul. Although I can only remember a couple of names of the people in the photo, I do remember most of the faces as I used to see these people regularly. My best friend was Isabel Instone, also on the front row, 3rd from right sitting next to the two adults dressed up! She also lived in Vicarage Road

I wonder if you have the same photo. On the reverse it tells me it was taken by Nash's Studios, 195 Soho Road, Handsworth.

Yes, I lived at Soho Hall Hotel, which is now Soho House. I am seeing my sister tomorrow and will ask her more. When Paul told me about you I did mention your name to her but she didn't remember you, but if I take the photo with me it might jog her memory. Also look in the "Old Birmingham Schools" thread as I am going to try and put a Soho College Speech Day photo on.

Judy

Great photo.Judy how nice to find someone on the same pic.after all these years.
As you say Pam, it's a small world.

Hi Ray - Hope you are well. Yes, it is great to find someone on the same photo from all those years ago. That is one of the fantastic things about this forum, you never know who you might find.

Judy

Hi Judy,
Yes this is the same photo and yes I am the little blonde girl on the lap of Jocelyn Vesey who lived next door at no 14, I lived at 12a. My nan Lily Adam is next to the girl with your sister on her lap. Next but one to nan is dad's sister Clarice Manton who lived in Willis Road, Winson Green. Immediately behind is a lady who lived 4 doors away no 17. Can't remember her name. My dad Horace Manton is 1st left on back row, mom Kath is in front to his left. Paul's mom Bella Stacey is back row towards left, with the cap on. I recognise the surname Instone, but can't place where they lived. Maybe my mom will remember!
I had a friend Susan Scragg who lived acr4oss the road. She was born 1947 so you may not know her, but she had an older sister and their father was a Butcher. Any recollections?
This really digging deep into the memory!! Great days .............. Pam

Pam, I have replied on the Old Birmingham Schools thread about Soho College, to keep them separate.

Ann Scragg was really Margaret's friend, but I can remember we all went around together. Yes her dad was a butcher and her sister was Susan! Their house backed on to the garden of Soho and we used to nip over the fence to call for each other. Isabel Instone's house also backed on to our garden. If you went down Vicarage Road from Soho Avenue, both Ann's and Isabel's houses would have been on the left hand side and although I can't remember the numbers they would have been on the left hand side - opposite to where you lived.

We used to go to Sunday School at St Michaels, and briefly went to the Brownies which was held in the Scout Hut.

Judy

Judy

Hi Judy, I now recall Susan Scraggs garden backing onto yours. I know the name Instone, but can't recall where they lived. In the semis where I lived I remember families Mr and Mrs Josling and one daughter, Mr and Mrs Sproston, daughters Eileen and Ruth, I think there was also a son, they were all grown up, Izacke (I don't know how it was spelt). They were two sisters - Girlie, ? and brother Clem, all unmarried. Mr and Mrs Vesey and daughter Jocelyn, us, Mr and Mrs Shuker - no children, Mr and Mrs Dumelo - no children, the Smeetons. Then there were one or two I don't remember. The last semi was Mr and Mrs Black. Then the big houses and the vicarage. I went to Sunday School once with Susan and wanted to go again, but we were catholics and my nan didn't want me to go - can you believe it!
Pam

Thanks for the names Pam. Some are familiar to me, others not. I remember the Smeetons well. Can't remember first names but I was often sent round to their house to pick up mint from their garden, to make the mint sauce when Lamb was on the menu at the hotel!! I always remember they had a dog called Judy! The Veseys and the Joslings are also well known names to me.

On the VE photo, the man and woman sitting on the left were Mr and Mrs Murphy who lived in Soho Avenue about 3 houses before Vicarage Road. The small girl and boy sitting on the pavement next to them were their children - I think the girl was called Margaret.

Judy

I had a lovely Wednesday afternoon with my sister and mom. I was telling them of conversations we have been having. Within a short time we were engrossed in the 50s, school, and Vicarage Road. Lyn was amazed at some of the names she remembered then other names came up which I had forgotten. We talked about the friends we had, "the bank" where we played at the bottom of the garden, school, and between us we remembered a lot of things. I asked mom who she remembered, but I'm afraid she cannot remember names very well, in fact, I remembered more than her. She talked more of the war time. She moved into Vicarage Road with Bella, her sister and her mom in 1939. She was 18 then. She was brought up in Dover and Folkestone and moved to Albert Road Aston in the early 30s. They moved to Perry Barr, but she can't remember where then to Vicarage Road. She met my dad in the ARP. They married in 1942, Dad moved in and I was born in 1943. Bella then married and they lived in the front room where Paul was born in 1947. I can't believe we all lived in that small house. Bella and family moved out around '49.
Mom got the old photos out and we spent time looking at them. There were a couple of pictures of us at a birthday party at the Sprostons for their grandaughter Diane, and Susan Scragg was on them. I can't post them at the moment because I only have a notebook computer, but will work on it. Thanks for starting all these happy memories - Pam

Hi Pam, I should love to see your photos when you get round to scanning them. If anything else comes to mind I will let you know.

Judy

Tammy, If you still want info on Handsworth just after the war let me know. I lived there from 1943 to about 1952

Peter Vince

Hi Laurie - were you Laurence Hornby? I lived in Brearley Street with my brother Alan -(I was Susan Barnett) you may not remember me. We both passed our 11 plus Alan went to Handsworth Grammar then Portsmouth Uni and I went to Lordswood at the Kings Head Harborne, wonderful memories of a wonderful place to live. I am going out tonight with my friend who then was Maureen Price of Payton Road she is on the Friends Reunited site. Would be good to hear if you recall us, regards.

Well hello Susan,
I do remember the name Susan Barnett certainly and the fact that you went on to Lordswood.
I can't remember you facially but it has been 51 years!
I'm pleased to read that you did well at Lordswood and went on to University. For me, George Dixon grammar school was a total disaster and I failed miserably at everything. Still life hasn't been that bad.
I don't recall Maureen Price? Was she with us in Mr Cadman's class? The name Patricia Holmes rings a bell but I think she went to GD girls' school. the other girl's name I remeber was Sheila Round, who was a blonde girl and I think I bumped into her when I was in my late teens.
Are you still in Birmingham? I'm in Cofton Hackett (The other side of the River Rea) and am still in the working world, although life seems to have slowed down considerably to what it was up until a few years ago.
I'm not too clever with computer stuff but can manage e mails and would love to hear more .
My e mail is lauriehornsby@btinternet.com and please pass it on to Maureen if she wishes to jog my memory and please give her my best wishes
Was your brother Alan in the same year as us? Let me know on the e mail or something like this method that we're doing now.
Hoping to hear from you and all the very best.
Cheers,
Laurie Hornsby

I am a new member on this site and I have just found this thread... I notice it has not been posted on for some time.
I don't know if the author is still looking for info or whether she found what she was looking for.

Handsworth back to back houses were on Dawson Road next to Handsworth Grammar School. I think one was called Ashley Place.
According to Google maps street view I think they would have been approximately where Grove School is now.

Back