• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Cemetery - grave locating

Thanks Mark - that is so helpful.
Hope we hear from Gurbinder that he has been successful.

No idea about leases. Sorry.
Yes, once i have found my brother i will share my story. i feel like i am getting that little bit closer to him. i cant say how grateful i am - thank you - you are all so kind

Hi Gurbinder, I have replied to your PM but everyone here has been so much more helpful!
I do hope you find him.
rosie.

Also this is the burial details of Dorothea Brook from findagrave, she is buried in section 44, grave no. 21345. Helpfully there are photos that show where the grave number is on the headstone and also the approximate position of her grave in the section...

...this is the closest I could see.
hi MWS how do i find a grave,i have tried the link from handsworth cemetry but it just tells me what i already know. my dad is buried in handsworth cemetry, he died october 1960,james nicholson the email i got back contained no plot or grave number. if you could point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it many thanks

There are the two sites to try and find graves in Bham which I assume you've probably tried - the council bereavement service and findagrave.

The former should have all the burials at the council run cemeteries, which I see lists your dad. Clicking his name gives a link to a digital download that costs £10 and contains further information. I've never done this so I don't know how helpful that info is.

Findagrave is a lot more hit and miss and does not include all cemeteries or all buries at the cemeteries they have recorded. And even then it might not record plot details.

There is an office at Handsworth Cemetery where I assume you can inquire though unfortunately it is closed atm.

So if you've had no luck with emailing them, your only option for the moment may be the £10 download. Maybe if someone who's already done this sees this they may be able to tell you if it's worth it.

There are the two sites to try and find graves in Bham which I assume you've probably tried - the council bereavement service and findagrave.

The former should have all the burials at the council run cemeteries, which I see lists your dad. Clicking his name gives a link to a digital download that costs £10 and contains further information. I've never done this so I don't know how helpful that info is.

Findagrave is a lot more hit and miss and does not include all cemeteries or all buries at the cemeteries they have recorded. And even then it might not record plot details.

There is an office at Handsworth Cemetery where I assume you can inquire though unfortunately it is closed atm.

So if you've had no luck with emailing them, your only option for the moment may be the £10 download. Maybe if someone who's already done this sees this they may be able to tell you if it's worth it.
thank you MWS i intend to visit handsworth cemetry when i have the info, i live 70 miles away atm,, i,m of the age where i don,t use internet banking or put card details in. like you say the cemetry is closed atm, nobody answer,s the phone,so close yet so far away. many thanks to you

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hey there! Thanks for sharing the info about Handsworth Cemetery. It's good to know that the cemetery itself is open. Bummer that the office is closed, though. If you're planning to visit, I hope you have a smooth time finding the graves you're looking for.

By the way, if you're thinking about ways to pay your respects, have you considered checking out some memorial stores near me? They might have meaningful items to help remember and honor your loved ones. Take care and stay safe while you navigate this.

Last edited:
Posting on behalf of new member Pete:

Hi everyone, I’ve eventually found my acceptance email in junk section with the help of my good wife , here goes, I’m trying to find the exact location of my uncles grave in Handsworth Cemetery, I have the plot number supplied by Birmingham council. I have recently visited the cemetery, but without anyone on site to point me in the right direction and only the paper map retrieved from office door I am struggling to find it, the numbers on the map don’t seem to match the plot details I have, so any help would be most appreciated. Thanks for allowing me on to the forum

Thank you Janice , I’ve just found your reply in my spam , I put your name in as a recipient for my original question but obviously any help from anyone would be appreciated, I could see you had helped someone previously, thanks again Pete

Are you able to put the plot and grave number on here?
Is this the map you had?

Last edited:
I would guess 3538 is the grave number which will be on any headstone there is. If there is no headstone then you will need to find the nearest grave above and below and then count "grave sized spaces" between the two graves. It is the other bit which puzzles me.
If the map I linked you to is the same as the one you got at the cemetery then I would email and ask for clarification about the 4c4 - explain the map you have only has numbered sections.

Could the number be 4c 43538 rather than 4c4? The scan in post #7 appears to have some numbers that have a similar make up.

Hi MWS & Janice I have hopefully attached a photo showing the plot number , it would appear I have mis read the number, I have sent an email to the Bereavement services asking for the grave numbers adjacent to my uncles so I can tell if I am looking in the correct section Thanks for any help

Looking at the scan on #7 of this thread then, it does sound similar to a number of those listed there. There are, amongst others, a 3d 5091 and a 3d 5144 with a 4 under the 3s.

So perhaps 4c 3538 with the lower 4 indicating the 4th burial in that plot perhaps?

Thank you MWS , it is possible that is what the second 4 means extra burials in the same plot, so I will try phoning the Berevement office and clarify the details, thanks again I’ll keep you updated , it may help others looking for grave plots later

Hi all, further to my previous conversation regarding my uncle’s grave in Handsworth Cemetery, I spoke to a lady at the bereavement office and she confirmed that the plot is in fact located on section 4 on the map, and that she would arrange for a named peg to be placed in the position of plot number 3538 so as to make it easier for me to locate it, and true to her word within a couple of hours I received a photo of the peg in position,The grave appears not to have any stonework visible and is just a grassy area next to another grave which will be my starting point, and looking to graves in the background of the photo the are the newer looking black headstones in section 5. Therefore I be visiting the cemetery next week and hopefully say hello to my dad’s brother who was laid to rest almost 90 years ago , wish me luck

Hi all, further to my previous conversation regarding my uncle’s grave in Handsworth Cemetery, I spoke to a lady at the bereavement office and she confirmed that the plot is in fact located on section 4 on the map, and that she would arrange for a named peg to be placed in the position of plot number 3538 so as to make it easier for me to locate it, and true to her word within a couple of hours I received a photo of the peg in position,The grave appears not to have any stonework visible and is just a grassy area next to another grave which will be my starting point, and looking to graves in the background of the photo the are the newer looking black headstones in section 5. Therefore I be visiting the cemetery next week and hopefully say hello to my dad’s brother who was laid to rest almost 90 years ago , wish me luck
oh that is good news pete...please let us know how you get on....good luck

lyn

Thank you MWS , it is possible that is what the second 4 means extra burials in the same plot, so I will try phoning the Berevement office and clarify the details, thanks again I’ll keep you updated , it may help others looking for grave plots later
Hi MWS, just looking at the burial register where I found the plot details for my uncle Ron, I still don’t know what the small 4 means under the section number and letter but I don’t think it has anything to do with multiple burials in the same plot as other family burials on the register shows numbers such as 12, 13 & 9. Hopefully I can find someone next time i visit the cemetery to explain, will keep you updated

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi all, sorry for the delay in updating my last post, after visiting the cemetery and finding my uncle’s grave I cleared the area from leaves, broken branches and general debris and with the use of a string plumb line I marked out the shape of the plot and placed a small white cross next to the named wooden peg, I told my uncle Ron who I was and apologised for the delay in finding him and promised to return very soon. Within a couple of days I received an email in reply to one I had sent to the bereavement office some 10 days earlier, the gentleman sending the email attached a lined drawing of the grave site together with the numbers of the surrounding plots which would have been invaluable if I hadn‘t been impatient and phoned the office previously, included in the drawing were the names A & W Elliott which relate to my grandparents who are buried near their son Ronald ( my uncle) I had assumed that they also had been buried elsewhere , I now have a new search on my return to the cemetery, I can’t wait. I’ll keep you posted

Thanks for the update.
Glad you had some success. It might be nice if you were able to post a photo so we can see how they marked the grave for you with the cross.
Hi Janice I’ll try adding a couple of photos, one showing just the wooden name peg they marked the plot with for me and another photo showing the small white cross that I fashioned to help me locate it again. On my second visit whilst clearing the area I decided to clean the square stone structure on the right of the photo, which I assumed belonged to another grave and just looked a little sad and grubby and the family might not mind me giving it a spruce up, on closer inspection I realised it had my uncles details on it and had just been turned around to face the made gates , anyway here goes with photos

Attachments

• F3AD1AA5-F318-4A66-83D0-D50465D1A30D.jpeg
    F3AD1AA5-F318-4A66-83D0-D50465D1A30D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Hi Janice I’ll try adding a couple of photos, one showing just the wooden name peg they marked the plot with for me and another photo showing the small white cross that I fashioned to help me locate it again. On my second visit whilst clearing the area I decided to clean the square stone structure on the right of the photo, which I assumed belonged to another grave and just looked a little sad and grubby and the family might not mind me giving it a spruce up, on closer inspection I realised it had my uncles details on it and had just been turned around to face the made gates , anyway here goes with photos
1FBB30F9-04BF-435F-9AE3-AFB0AD5AAEDB.jpeg

thanks for the photos and updates pete...its lovely when we hear of success stories....look forward to anything else you may find..you maybe interested to read my quest which with the help of the church took some time to find my dads little brother who died in wales as an evacuee... we now have a more permanent marker for him..it was the first time in 80 years that anyone had visited his unmarked grave as his parents who lived in birmingham could not attend his funeral...my story starts on post 21 of below thread...

lyn

Last edited:
thanks for the photos and updates pete...its lovely when we hear of success stories....look forward to anything else you may find..you maybe interested to read my quest which with the help of the church took some time to find my dads little brother who died in wales as an evacuee... we now have a more permanent marker for him..it was the first time in 80 years that anyone had visited his unmarked grave as his parents who lived in birmingham could not attend his funeral...my story starts on post 21 of below thread...

lyn
Hi Lyn, I read your quest , about little Harry, so sad , not all casualties of war wore karki

Back