• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth and Stevie Winwood

G.Mayes

Brummie babby
Hello there,
just seen Stevie Winwood at the Coronation Concert. Does anyone know where he was born in Handsworth?
Thank you - George

Wikipedia seems to suggest that the family moved from Handsworth to Kingstanding after he was born, however his parents are listed at 70 Atlantic Road from at least 1945er onwards. And they are there on 1939 register.

His grandparents lived at 465 Park Road from 1920s onwards.

Last edited:
Hello there,
just seen Stevie Winwood at the Coronation Concert. Does anyone know where he was born in Handsworth?
Thank you - George

I’ve read in a couple of places that he was born at 127 Church Lane, Handsworth.

I don’t know if that’s accurate, maybe somebody on here could use their skills to do some digging to try and verify it?

stevie winwood was born in 1948..reading post 2 his parents were living at atlantic road kingstanding from at least 1939 and was still there in 1945 and beyond..maybe someone could tell us if his parents were still at this address in 1950

lyn

On Wikipedia Mervyn (Muff) is listed as being born in Erdington (1943). He was registered in Sutton Coldfield.

Definitely there in 1950. My mum knew Steve and Mervyn's mum. We too lived in Atlantic Road. She knew her through Cranborne Road (Kingsthorn)Junior School.- my bother and I went there. My brother was in the same year as Steve - so started in the infants school in 1953. Don't know if he went to nursery there before that.The family was still living there in the late 1960s, possibly early 1970s.

I seem to remember (albeit vaguely) that Kingstanding was at one time given an Erdington address. I also vagely remember some phone numbers had an Erdington code (ours was 373). Viv.

Last edited:
Thank you all for info about Stevie, I appreciate it.
For me it was a trip down memory lane after the concert. I used to deliver newspapers from the George Edwards news agent (Ex-Aston Villa-footballer) in Church Lane when I was at Rookery Road School.
Thanks again
George - Hannover

Thank you all for info about Stevie, I appreciate it.
For me it was a trip down memory lane after the concert. I used to deliver newspapers from the George Edwards news agent (Ex-Aston Villa-footballer) in Church Lane when I was at Rookery Road School.
Thanks again
George - Hannover
When were you at Rookery Rd School?

Yes, two of my cousins were there at the same time as Steve Winwood, he was a bit younger than them but they remembered him as he played the piano.

Back