• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hairdressing & barbering

My hair has always been rather thin, I was remembering this moring how I used to backcomb it into a bouffant. My Nan lost a lot of hair and always wore a wig but Mom's hair was very thick and strong, very different! No-one seems to style their hair anymore, I don't like the messy look these days.
rosie.

Many years ago, I took the plunge and got fitted for a toupee (a.k.a. a gentlemen's attachment) at Burberrys, in Newtown shopping centre. His technique was "Top Secret" which sounded very impressive. I came out of the hairdressers feeling twenty years younger, and decided to head straight to the Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr, to show my workmates who I knew would be waiting to see it on me.
Unfortunately, as anyone who's shopped at Newtown shopping centre will know, it was a very windy place to visit. As I was waiting for the no. 51 bus to take me and my new attachment to Birchfield Road, a sudden gust of wind blew my hairpiece into the open wicker shopping basket of the lady waiting ahead of me in the queue. The glue to keep it on my bonce hadn't dried fully, apparently.
The lady then boarded the bus, which had just at that moment pulled up. As I tried to follow her, the bus driver stopped me, saying "No more room, mate."
I was very upset, and never found the courage to have another one fitted. I told my workmates I'd changed my mind.

Attachments

• 1990 Newtown Shopping Centre (7).jpg
    1990 Newtown Shopping Centre (7).jpg
    412 KB · Views: 6
Many years ago, I took the plunge and got fitted for a toupee (a.k.a. a gentlemen's attachment) at Burberrys, in Newtown shopping centre. His technique was "Top Secret" which sounded very impressive. I came out of the hairdressers feeling twenty years younger, and decided to head straight to the Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr, to show my workmates who I knew would be waiting to see it on me.
Unfortunately, as anyone who's shopped at Newtown shopping centre will know, it was a very windy place to visit. As I was waiting for the no. 51 bus to take me and my new attachment to Birchfield Road, a sudden gust of wind blew my hairpiece into the open wicker shopping basket of the lady waiting ahead of me in the queue. The glue to keep it on my bonce hadn't dried fully, apparently.
The lady then boarded the bus, which had just at that moment pulled up. As I tried to follow her, the bus driver stopped me, saying "No more room, mate."
I was very upset, and never found the courage to have another one fitted. I told my workmates I'd changed my mind.
A story of the one that never was! Great story….

A story of the one that never was! Great story….

was it the griffin or the paddock pub on this side alf

lyn

Back