• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GREAT FRANCIS ST NECHELLS

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hopefully a couple of news ones folks...

if posting these photos elsewhere on the net could you please acknowledge carl chinn/and or the birmingham history forum

thanks...phil if you spot any wrong captions on the nechells photos i shall be posting please let me know

lyn

Church of Christ Gt Francis Street 11-12-1956 Our Brum Vol 2 p113.jpgGreat Francis Street - 5-11-1953.jpgGreat Francis Street - 15-1-1952.jpgGreat Francis Street - 17-12-1951.jpgGreat Francis Street - 27-9-1954.jpgGreat Francis Street - 29-1-1965.jpgGreat Francis Street - Brighton Grove Rear No 94 - 8-5-1950.jpgGreat Francis Street - Claverdon Street - Railway Tavern.jpgGreat Francis Street - Claverdon Terrace Rear No 88 - 7-5-1950.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn

Not a thing wrong with any of them as far as I can see, though I have to say that all of these images of Great Francis Street were on Carl's site "Birmingham Lives" before it closed down or underwent reorganisation or whatever it was. So like all photos of Birmingham over the years a lot of them have progressed to here by one means or another.

yes phil quite correct they were on carls brum lives site before it had to close down and before all of his archives could be uploaded onto it and ive always kicked myself that i did not save more when i could...but no matter i have now been given access by carl to his archives so all is not lost:)and as you said earlier it does no harm for certain streets and roads to have their own thread especially the popular ones

lyn

Last edited:
hopefully a couple of news ones folks...

if posting these photos elsewhere on the net could you please acknowledge carl chinn/and or the birmingham history forum

thanks...phil if you spot any wrong captions on the nechells photos i shall be posting please let me know

lyn

View attachment 128960View attachment 128962View attachment 128963View attachment 128964View attachment 128965View attachment 128966View attachment 128967View attachment 128968View attachment 128969
I note the tram tracks in some photos (1951) but the 1954 ones show them removed. The trams ceased on 30/9/1950.

In post two, which shows a coal yard, I see water on the ground. The scales look dry and a bag is on the ground so that might have also been a dry area. It could suggest that wet coal weighs more than dry coal. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me to these pictures. Much appreciated.
Would your parents have been living in Brighton Grove in 1950? I'm fairly certain that the house on the far left is No. 15 in which case could the lady in the picture be your mother?

I agree that the house on the left is number 15 back of 95. That isn't my mother, sadly. That would have been excellent wouldn't it? I was born in Jan 47 and I'm told we move to Sheldon when I was 2. Just missed it.

Would you or anybody else happen to know who was in that house at the time of the 1939 non-census? Neither my mother or fathers family were in there. I would be good to know who it was as my mother used this address from 42 onwards, and despite living elsewhere (Land Army Etc) she used this address. It seems to indicate it was being used as safe constant address she could use - my father even sent army Christmas cards there in 42-43 and 44. It would be great to know who was in there.
I can't seem to be able to search that 1939 list by property, only by person.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Very much appreciated.
P

Would you or anybody else happen to know who was in that house at the time of the 1939 non-census? Neither my mother or fathers family were in there. I would be good to know who it was as my mother used this address from 42 onwards, and despite living elsewhere (Land Army Etc) she used this address. It seems to indicate it was being used as safe constant address she could use - my father even sent army Christmas cards there in 42-43 and 44. It would be great to know who was in there.
I can't seem to be able to search that 1939 list by property, only by person.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Very much appreciated.
P
Yes that would have been good wouldn't it.
1666966357184.png

Brilliant. Thanks very much indeed.
Thanks for your work on this.
Sadly, I have no idea who they are. :)

As confirmation , the electoral roll for 1939 *when baclk 95 was called Brighton Grove) is shown below

1666972699106.png

When was the houses in great Francis street built my grandparents were there in 1911 at 150 great Francis street.

First mention of Great Francis St in the newspapers appears to be in 1840 and there's a mention of no. 150 in 1848.

This photo (a little small) was posted by one of our old members on a different site, it shows the Railway Inn on the corner of Great Francis St & Claverdon St. I think no. 150 is the house next door (left)...

Nechells Great Francis St- Claverdon St The Railway Inn.jpg

Last edited:
mike could i have a map please showing belvedere place...on the 1911 census it looks like it says number 16

thanks mike

lyn

Last edited:
Here you are Lyn. The map is 1880s showing Belvedere Place in red, with no 16 in blue

map 1880s showing no 16 Belvedere place, Gt Francis St.jpg

1950s demolition of properties around Great Francis Street and Bloomsbury Street. Difficult to pinpoint exactly where this would have been.

Screenshot_20231231_111001_Chrome.jpg

Back