• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Granville street

what a very sad suicide note anita....i have never read one before....clearly william was in great distress about his life

lyn
Yes this was in his inquest file, so very sad to think he was widowed by his first wife leaving him to raise a family of children on his own for 15 years, so he managed that heartbreak, then he married Lucy in 1930 and within 9 months he has written that note and drowned himself in gas street basin , birmingham october 1931. i know he got made redundant after being in his job for 25 years, but all statements from other ppl state he was a quiet man never a bad word said. He se me trying to find out more about this 2nd wife , just seems impossible x any help appreciated

what a very sad suicide note anita....i have never read one before....clearly william was in great distress about his life

lyn
The policeman who got his body out the canal said at the side of the tow path was a neatly folded jacket with a cap on top with spectacles, hanky chief and suicide note.

Haven't be able to find out anything else which, with so much information, is frustrating.

I wonder how much of the information can be relied upon though. William Halsey must have been a terrible state, so it wouldn't be surprising if he had made a mistake with the names. Also, the type of person Lucy seems to have been, how many of her 'husbands' did she really marry.

Checking the High St Bordesley address for the rest of the 1930s is the only thing I can think of atm but that may have to be at the library.

This may be totally irrelevant but one of the witnesses at the wedding is Henry Lee. There is a John Henry Lee at 63 High Street Bordesley in 1925 and he is still there in 1939 so I would assume he was there all the time. I can't find 63 on the 1939 reg - stops at 62 .
1643214005444.png

Found John Henry & Ellen Gertrude Lee. He was born 1880 in Nottingham to Bham born parents, who moved back to Bham by 1881. She was Ellen Gertrude Baker b1879 Bham and it was a second marriage for both of them

They were living at 63 High St in 1921.

Can't see any obvious connection between Lucy and John Henry, he appears to have had only 1 sister.

Haven't be able to find out anything else which, with so much information, is frustrating.

I wonder how much of the information can be relied upon though. William Halsey must have been a terrible state, so it wouldn't be surprising if he had made a mistake with the names. Also, the type of person Lucy seems to have been, how many of her 'husbands' did she really marry.

Checking the High St Bordesley address for the rest of the 1930s is the only thing I can think of atm but that may have to be at the library.
I’ve been on this for years but took a break as I wasn’t getting any where

The only other thing I can think of , in Lucy’s police statement, she said she had been in Hollywood for 1 yr 10 months previous to the marriage , she also said she collected money for something ? I will dig her paper work out too

Lucy states in her statement she used to go to the womens cooperative guild. She used to collect club money off a man called jenkinson

Found John Henry & Ellen Gertrude Lee. He was born 1880 in Nottingham to Bham born parents, who moved back to Bham by 1881. She was Ellen Gertrude Baker b1879 Bham and it was a second marriage for both of them

They were living at 63 High St in 1921.

Can't see any obvious connection between Lucy and John Henry, he appears to have had only 1 sister.
OK - just him and a sister. Pity as I was thinking of a brother if she was Mrs Lucy Lee. So Henry would possibly be her brother in law.

My head hurts, how can one woman be so elusive ? I suppose if mr Lee her husband was in the army maybe they didn’t marry in England hense no certificate ? Im now wondering if she is on the 1922 census ? That may be worth a shot

That Lucy Lee appears to die in 1934. She was also Lucy Porter before she married as Arthur Henry's birth is registered in 1904 with mmn Porter
1643239789384.png

The problem is we don't know what she was calling herself in 1921. She may not have been Lucy Lee.
I don't think the one in posts 54 to 57 is right as we have seen no mention of Porter before.

I think I’m going to book a session at the library in Birmingham to access the holly moor records to see if I can find her on there

The only other thing I can think of , in Lucy’s police statement, she said she had been in Hollywood for 1 yr 10 months previous to the marriage , she also said she collected money for something ? I will dig her paper work out too
bit confused as you say lucy was in hollywood for a year and 10 months but that you want to go to the library to look up holly moor records....what sort of a place was this and is it hollywood or holly moor

lyn

Back