• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Granville street

anitaszaban

master brummie
I’m trying to find out who was living at 167 Granville street in 1930 , any one point m3 in the correct direction plz

The number on the marriage cert is 169 not 167 does that change anything? Have found eroll and no she is not listed there - it could have been an address she used in order to get married at a particular church. Or she might just have lodged there for a short while and not been on the eroll.
1642951660846.png

The intriguing thing is that she was Lucy James, became Lucy Lee was widowed and amrried again bit next door to 169 are the James family - any connection I wonder?

Yes Janice, I’ve been going through electrol rolls all after noon and just can’t see straight now, my gr grandfather was William halsey he married Lucy lee in 1930, her name was Lucy lee widowed father William James.
So we know she was born Lucy James nee lee then halsey , but I can not find a marriage for James - lee ? On Williams suicide note it states she is a whore ( oops) married several times one of the names he mentions is bird. I just can’t sort it , think I’m looking too hard

Ridley street is where my gr grandfather halsey and his then wife sarah lived through their marriage , his wife sarah died, then he married Lucy also states they did t know each other for to long and the marriage went bad after 6 months, Lucy states she was in holy moor for 18 months are there any records for that place ?

Lucy is mentioned in the Bham Daily Gazette 6 Dec 1934 with an address of High St Bordesley, which appears to be where she is living on the 1939 register.

She doesn't seem to appear on any of the ERs between those dates, though searching for names doesn't always give the correct results. If she doesn't appear though, maybe it means she wasn't entitled to vote (foreign) and wouldn't be on earlier ones either.

Yes Janice, I’ve been going through electrol rolls all after noon and just can’t see straight now, my gr grandfather was William halsey he married Lucy lee in 1930, her name was Lucy lee widowed father William James.
So we know she was born Lucy James nee lee then halsey , but I can not find a marriage for James - lee ? On Williams suicide note it states she is a whore ( oops) married several times one of the names he mentions is bird. I just can’t sort it , think I’m looking too hard
I couldn't find a marriage either. I also couldn't find her on earlier censuses with a William Lee. 1901 census - is she a boarder?
Which William committed suicude - her Father or William Halsey?
I think we need to bear in mind that marriage records contain what was given to the registrar but which may not be the truth.

Lucy is mentioned in the Bham Daily Gazette 6 Dec 1934 with an address of High St Bordesley, which appears to be where she is living on the 1939 register.

She doesn't seem to appear on any of the ERs between those dates, though searching for names doesn't always give the correct results. If she doesn't appear though, maybe it means she wasn't entitled to vote (foreign) and wouldn't be on earlier ones either.
Now that’s interesting as I haven’t seen that, where would I find it please x

I couldn't find a marriage either. I also couldn't find her on earlier censuses with a William Lee. 1901 census - is she a boarder?
Which William committed suicude - her Father or William Halsey?
I think we need to bear in mind that marriage records contain what was given to the registrar but which may not be the truth.
William halsey her hubby my gr grandfather committed suicide in 1931 as I have the inquest papers , in the suicide not it mentions names from prev marriages as mrs Lucy halsey, nee James bird nee ward etc that’s his wording

Now that’s an interesting read as it’s 1934 paper and she is aged 48 ? When she married my g grandfather William halsey on the marriage cert in 1930 she was 47

There is an early article - 24 Dec 1919 - for a Lucy Lee, 3 months imprisonment. Not sure if it's the same lady.
In her police statement when her hubby was found in canal, she states that she went to holly moor for 1yr 10 months as she refused to go to another institute

I've tried to check all the Lucy Lee's on the electoral rolls in the 1920s but I think I've ruled all of them out except one who is listed at 223/227 Castle Inn in 1930. That's just from the search results so not certain that's right or even where it is. But even if it happened be the right one not sure it would help much.

What other details does is listed for her on the marriage to William Halsey - father's occupation, witnesses?

Yes. I think (on phone so can't check at the moment) after 169 there seemed to be a terrace or court as numbered 1, 2 etc before 171 and so on.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I've tried to check all the Lucy Lee's on the electoral rolls in the 1920s but I think I've ruled all of them out except one who is listed at 223/227 Castle Inn in 1930. That's just from the search results so not certain that's right or even where it is. But even if it happened be the right one not sure it would help much.

What other details does is listed for her on the marriage to William Halsey - father's occupation, witnesses?
22D213B0-1590-458B-AEE9-87F1DDBB8A56.jpeg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
what a very sad suicide note anita....i have never read one before....clearly william was in great distress about his life

lyn

Back