• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

The Conservative Club Vauxhall must have closed by the time i lived there (lack of members maybe) but where was it?Is that the Adelaide behind the horse and cart if so it was no more than 50 yards from our house but i can,t remember the building.Dek

Hi Dek

Yes it was on Vauxhall Rd opposite Revesby Walk, It didn't close down it just moved across the road to the top of Revesby Walk. Its called the Vauxhall Sports & Social Club Now.

Phil

ExNechellsConservativeClubNov2008.jpg

Hello Miggy Dr Tigh was based at his house in Ashted Row I lived by the Adelaide on the corner of Erskine St and had occasions to visit him. Dek

Im sure Dr. Tigh was our Doctor too when we lived in Queens Tower. Would be interesting to find out about him.

i lived in cromwell st and our doctor was in the same area
a dr topin...it seem as if they were in the same area, till the health centre was built down the road..happy days dereklcg

Dr John Tighe lived at 101 Ashted Row at the junction of Great Francis St (see photo) until the start of the NHS he had a fully fitted operating theatre at his practice surgery which he ran from that address. Soon after the NHS started he closed his practice at his home address and took another premises at the corner of Willis St which was just up the road from his home. He continued to live at Ashted Row until it was demolished in the early sixties.

Along with all the other doctors that were spread out along Ashted Row he moved to the Nechells Health Centre in Greenbank House on Denby Close at the beginning of the sixties. I believe the Health Centre has gone now as well, but I think Dr Tighe was still there in 1972 when I had to trip all the way over there for a medical for a HGV licence because I hadn't changed my doctor since moving away some years previous. Given his age then I would have to say that he would no longer be with us now.

Phil

NechellsAshtedRowDrTighsHouse.jpg

19695downthemillfromvauxhallstation.jpg

After viewing your excellent site for some months,and enjoying the many pictures,my son on a Christmas visit from Australia has taught me to use "photobucket".
i will now try to put on a picture taken in 1969.Just before the demolition of all the properties in Duddeston Mill Rd.
This shot has appeared before,but as a "pirate"copy of one given to a collegue at my work some years ago.
IF it works..there are a few more taken at the same time.
Shedman....that should give a nice clue to my one time place of enployment.

Wow Shedman that,s impressive love it, love it,love it,keep em coming.You must have worked just down the bottom of the hill then? Dek

brillient shedman..please post anymore you have as im sure they will interest the members who came from the nechells area...

lyn

Shedman

Great photo, I don't remember seeing that one before. Did you work at the sheds at the bottom of the hill or did you work in the sheds just to the right of the photo?

Whichever it was we must have passed by each other loads of times as I was always up and down Duddeston Mill around that time.

Phil

196916saltley.jpg

A view from the top of the coal- hopper at Saltley engine shed.Looking north towards Saltley station,on the right the partially demolished Saltley gasworks.To the left,Nechells "gas"has a year or two to go,note all the coal wagons in Duddeston Sidings.
In the background is the late-victorian railway lodge- house in Devon St. Taken on the same day as earlier picture.March 1969.
I was born and raised in Reginald Rd,Saltley.Started work at Saltley shed,and did 31years there before moving away,but still in railway work.
Visit the old place about once a year, but always come away depressed.Each trip means something else has gone!.
If any ex-Reginald Roaders are about,let me know and i will put on a colour picture..

I must apologise about details of my picture..the railway lodge in Devon St is just out of the shot! I have it on an earlier black/white photo taken in 1963. 7 out of 10 for effort...3 out of 10 for attention!

Hi Shedman

Another great photo, we have a chap on another site called Albert who uses the name 21A Saltley. He was an engine driver who spent most of his life working out of Saltley sheds. would you know him?

Phil

shedman. I was particularly interested in your pic at post 1957. The Manor Arms pub on the corner.
Thank you for your posting.

Ernie

Heres a close up of The Manor Arms, I thought I had posted it before now. I have also got a copy of the Victoria on the corner of Inkerman St if you would care to see that.

Phil

DuddestonMillCatoStManorArms.jpg

196433saltley.jpg

This is a complimentary shot to the one i put on earlier,taken from the same view-point in 1963.Its a typical "Saltley"day,blessed by the usual visability!Where theres muck etc...No wonder i,in common with many others suffered with chest trouble.
Somewhere in the gloom,over on the left,you may be able to make out the railway lodge in Devon St.
Having a rummage in my memory box for a few more shots...

Great pictures shedman my husband was born in Ralph Road and I have a friend who's mother kept the Off Licence in Reginald Road. Would love to see your photo of Reginald Road.

19695saltleyreginaldroad.jpg

I have sorted out "Reginald Road",it was taken from the St.Saviours end,looking towards Alum Rock.
On a visit last year,discovered that all the property on the left hand side,down to Jersey Rd,including what was the old "out-door",had gone.
When i was a boy,the lady licencesee?(spelling?)was a Mrs Lister,and one of my Sunday jobs was to take a jug,covered by a cloth,to collect the dinner-time refreshment for our neighbours.
At the time this errand earned me 3d,but i think the strong smell of the beer under my nose put me off "drink"for the rest of my life!..

hi shedman and im sorry but i forgot to say welcome to the forum...what amazing pics you are posting...please keep them coming as they are so invaluable to not just the history of birmingham but also of the nechells area...

thanks for taking the time to post them..

lyn

Hi Shedman what wonderful photos .. and welcome to the forum mate :) This photos of our the REAL brum .. our brum .. it makes you sad doesnt it :( ?

Hello Phil. Yes I have your photograph of the " Manor Arms " safely stored on my external drive and how thankful I was to you for posting it mate.

Hi Catsclaws

I'm sure there are many photos of Willis St on this thread, I know because I have posted some of them myself. I'm not sure if I ever posted this one, but I know it shows the largest part of Willis St of those that I have.

Phil

NechellsWillisSt-FrancisSt.jpg

Back