• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

This is part of what I wish to post, if I cannot finish it tonight I shall try again tomorrow.
I had said on a past post about a Foundry near to the " Rising Sun " public house in Heneage Street.
I think this foundry must have been at Castle Works shown in the Photogragh.
If anyone has a Kelly's late 1940's or early 1950's then this would confirm thename of the Foundry.

Ernie,

This was the layout from Windsor St to Adams St in 1949-50.

235 Rising Sun P.H. Jas.Thos. Taylor
236 to 242 Holly oak & Co Ltd. electric welders
236 to 242 Midland Die Cast Products Ltd. die castings
243 Midland (The) Tank & Iron Plate Co
244 & 245 Heneage Metals Ltd. metal mers

here is Adams st

Phil

Well I managed to upload the other photograph.
I believe the foundry was making Phosphor Bronze Ingots . The metal was heated in a furnace past its melting point and poured into a mold ( there were rows of them ) After they had been allowed to cool they were turned and tipped out.
The photograph is exactly the same type of ladle ? for transporting the molten bronze to the casting molds.

The Photograph is from " Golden Years Of Birmingham " ISBN 1 900463 04 0.

Phil. Thank you for your post. I feel sure they were Phosphor Bronze, but there could have been other things that were cast by the list you gave. I was sure it was next to the " Rising Sun " Thank you once again Phil.

Ernie
The 1940 edition doesn't list 236-42. The 1943 & 44 & 55 editions give the same listings as above
Mike

Hi Fashionz

If you look back through the thread you will see this was discussed at length, and I think it was decided that it was as you say between Saltley High St and Cranby St. I think the photo started just past these couple of shops by the number 8 bus stop. In fact more or less from where this photo was tasken.

Phil

SaltleyAdderleyRd1955.jpg

Hi Phil,
Re your post 1924 and the attached photograph, I remember this location very well,it is at the junction with Adderly Road , Alum Rock Road and Washwood Heath Road. Where the bus is on the right of the photo there used to be a clock against the wall which the bus crew had to "Clock In" it was called a "Bundy Clock", why I don't know, no doubt it was used to record their schedules, sometimes they waited a while before doing so if they were early.I remember being on a No.8 when it was waiting exactly where the bus is on the left on the day that church bells were allowed to be rung to celebrate the victory at El Alemain in 1942. I haven't been back there since the early 1950's although I did drive along Alum Rock Road coutersy of "Google" Street view to the Saltley end where I see there is a roundabout and I noticed that the building of which the top can be seen on the right of the photo is still there.Regards "Roverman"

I agree with you roverman, the bus on the right has just turned right from the High St, Saltley and behind it, just out of view, is one of my old watering holes, The Tilt Hammer.

Terry

Iv,e been thinking of a pub half way down Crawford St when you turned down from Adderley Rd it was half way down on the r/h side i don,t think many of the locals used it it was more the canal people it may have been on the corner of Cranby St at the bottom anybody remember its name. Dek

Hi Terry,
There used to be a Radio shop in Saltley High Street, "Civic Radio" on the right going towards the viaduct, it belonged to the company I worked for which rented out radios,also T/Vs which were just begining to become popular as the Sutton Coldfield transmitter had not long been on the air. It was my area shop from which most of my my work came from as a mobile radio repairman and installer, that was in 1950 Just after coming out of the RAF, having completeted my National Service.
Incedently, what happened to the Rock cinema ?, I remember going to see Errol Flynn as Robin Hood there just before the war.
Regards "Roverman"

Quote---- There used to be a Radio shop in Saltley High Street, "Civic Radio" on the right going towards the viaduct,
That would have been opposite Chaplins where i used to buy all my fishing tackle from. Dek

The trouble with posting photos to this thread is knowing if they have been posted before, but I can't remember posting this one. So just in case I haven't here is the Civic radio shop on High St Saltley that has been mentioned.

Phil

SaltleyHighSt.jpg

Phil I didn't know there was so many shops in High Street Saltley, is the Street on the left Crawford?

Last edited:
Hi ,Shavedfish.

I am new to this site, I notice on you post 1565 on page 105 you have an iterest in the name Bradley this was my mothers maiden name and the family came from Trevor Street off Nechells Park Road.
"Roverman"

Thanks Dek the only reason I asked is that after Gate St the road seems to go down again before it had to go up again for Alum Rock Road

Hi Phil, Thanks for posting the photo of the "Civic" radio shop, looking at the car parked outside(1950's Morris Oxford) it would have been taken around the time I was working for Civic.
Regards "Roverman"

Thanks Dek the only reason I asked is that after Gate St the road seems to go down again before it had to go up again for Alum Rock Road

Yes, it was the Gas House, I'm not sure if the building still there, Crawford St. is all scrap yards now.
Fashionz
QUOTE=dek carr;346152]Iv,e been thinking of a pub half way down Crawford St when you turned down from Adderley Rd it was half way down on the r/h side i don,t think many of the locals used it it was more the canal people it may have been on the corner of Cranby St at the bottom anybody remember its name. Dek[/QUOTE]

Yes Dek the pub you are referring to in Crawford St was the Gas House, quite a few people on here have enquired about photos, but I have never come across one yet. I know the pub was still open in the late 70's because we were offered a yard in Crawford St by the council at that time. We had a pint in the Gas House the day we looked at the yard because it was a hot day. We said no to the yard. I believe that the pub might have been turned into a café some time later, but I'm not 100% on that.

Phil

ernie.sorry for the late reply.the site had gone down when you asked about the photos of gt lister street.phoned brewin books.but they dont know if there is a book with the great lister photos in. archive reference.610. looks like the one you may have posted.
found these photos interesting.https://lives.bgfl.org/carlchinn/se...eston&k2=&k3=&k4=&k5=&k6=&k7=&k8=&startrow=41
Winston. Please forgive me, I am so late in Thanking You for your posts. They are wonderful Photographs and I have saved them to CD.

i remember the civic shop very well.mom bought a transistor radio from there shop.it worked for about a day.then packed up.i was asked by mom to take it back.which i did,and was told what do you expect us to do about it.was the reply. me thinks i would not stand for that now.

hi all. great pic of high st.on the op side of the road.next to chaplins was a strange shop.in the window was weird things that dogs and cats
regurji regur reg, sick and bring back up after eating them.any one know what the shop was? or the name?

I thought that this may be of interest. I remember going there in the middle 60s. Max

Was it anywhere near where Kyrle Hall used to be in Sheep Street ? I guess it was after my time.

If memory serves me right it was in or next to Kyrle Hall , i was the younger member of a group of lads who took me everywhere with them ( some places i shouldnt have been to. )

Back