• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

John

I believe what you say 100%. I was just feeling my way round in the dark. As I said I haven't a clue what the building was it just looked like a school to me.

Phil

If you look at the 1890 survey map and Google E you can see, at the corner of Lord And Proctor on GE, the foundations of the old houses still there. Even the old boiler house and loo maybe.

hope this hasnt been posted before...

windsor st gas works from the corner of adams st...1953..the new inns pub is just visible on the corner of windsor st....

lyn

my mom lived at 30 lupin street one of the phipps elsie, sisters emily ellen (nelly) eunice emily floss and brothers joe and frank, there mom was ellen & dad arthur , her brother joe was a arp warden during the war, was there the nite the bomb dropped took part of willis st i remember mom telling me all thoses years ago.

Angela. I guess that was the bomb that hit the corner shop of Willis Street and Lupin Street. I heard that the shopkeeper was killed as he had refused to leave his shop to go to the air raid shelter.

Here's a blast from the past for all you lads and lasses that did your shopping down Great Lister St. A photo of Henry Poolton's Fishmonger & Greengrocers Shop take in 1934. I understand the shop was still there in the 50's.

Can anybody tell me if it survived until demolition in the 60's

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Henry Poolton Great Lister St c1935 .jpg
    Nechells Henry Poolton Great Lister St c1935 .jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 19
Phil
he was lsited in Great lister st in 1950, and again in 1956, though in 56 it was just as a greengrocer. In 1963 he was gone from great lister st, but still in stratford road and washwood heath rd
Mike

Phil. Great photograph, one I had not seen before. I left the area in 1956.
Below where the phone number is painted on the wall was the passage that led to the rear of Poolton's loads of orange boxes ect.

we dont see this now....bread deliveries....fowler st...1966..the stork pub is on the corner

astoness..

courtesy of carl chinn

Attachments

• Nechells Fowler St .jpg
    Nechells Fowler St .jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 11
hi ger22van
yes you beat me to it i was going to jump in and say yes i remember the horse trough in costa green as well with the horses and the bread carts and all trades trying to get there gee ,gee,s in first at the trough it was always busy with the trades men and i can remember hawleys bakeries on the moseley rd
do any of you remember the pub king iv if i remenber correctly
any way nice pic keep them coming phil best wishes astonian ;;

hi astonian, the horse trough on the gosta green was where my father
used to sell his good pieces that he collected from his tatters cart, he used to collect all week,then sort them & sell the good stuff sat mornings
thats after the people in our st had their pick terry

hi tcwardplumber
it was great to hear from you and you have got me thinking
about the old days and my memories of gosta and the freinds i hung around with my one old mate whom i drank with in the king was sid hanson whom had a brother just along from the trough and i rememberseeing yiur father standing and selling is tack
by the trough even hou i never bought nothink off him i think old sid did so
thanks for the memory best wishes astonian;;;;

TCWARDPLUMBERS. Very very distant memory in my very early days, that was the small market on Gosta Green. Such a pity I cannot remember very much of those days gone by, its also a vague memory of the Aston University being built. Before that it was all an earlier generation.

hi astonian, thank you for your memories of gosta green, you mentioned a pub i think ,the kings, where would that be . terry

hi ger22van, thanks for your reply, my early memory of aston university
would be late fortys, we used to play on this site befor they started building there,we used to call it the camals hump, after they started the building work, they built a compound at the rear of the site for the kids
to play, they supplied tools to play with & an old barge, it was great at the time i think it was to keep the kids off the building site, it was managed by grown ups. terry

just come accross this cracking picture of heanage st with the rising sun pub...i have not seen this one before so apologies if it has already been posted....

lyn

Attachments

• Nechells The-Rising-Sun-Heneage-Street-13-9-1961-[1].jpg
    Nechells The-Rising-Sun-Heneage-Street-13-9-1961-[1].jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 12
At the top of Lister St there was a roundabout and straight ahead went past the Fire station in the early fifties. It all slowly developed into Aston University over time. I attended Aston University when it was called Gosta Green College Of Advanced Technology. They gave out HNDs and HNCs then.

Astoness.LYN / Winston. Wonderful photographs that have not been on before. Winston. Are they all published in a book ?

Winston. Thank you for your reply. Well it sounds like they are in the Carl Chinn archive collection, They have Photographic collections in Local Studies of Birmingham Central Library. I did get one from there which I posted on this thread. I cannot get there so easily these days. My hips give me hell at times.

Heres a couple of new photos from The Birmingham Lives site. I don't think we have seen them before on here. I thought they might be of interest to Pomgolian. For those who don't know them they are the flats that used to be in Nechells along Great Lister St between Windsor St and Henry St.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Great Lister St  Flats 1960 .jpg
    Nechells Great Lister St Flats 1960 .jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Nechells Great Lister St Flats  Flats 1958 .jpg
    Nechells Great Lister St Flats Flats 1958 .jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanx Phil yes my house is on the second pic' with the train in it, also my brother-in-law's too. I also used to babysit the kids who's dad own the car as well.
The first pic', the kids in those flats wouldn't let us from the front blocks play on that slide so we wouldn't let them on the train ' Oy gerup ya own end yo"

Chris/pom :angel:

mw0njm

Pete,

As this was your neck of the woods, can you remember this café. I have to be honest I have no memory of it. It's on the corner of Mount St and Trevor St.

Attachments

• Nechells Trevor St- Mount St 1955.jpg
    Nechells Trevor St- Mount St 1955.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18
phil.ta for pic..my mate lived 2 doors away and i too cant remember a cafe.or we would have used it.postans paint was op if i remember right.and a scrap yard down the bottom of trever st.that i do remember. lol.

Pete

The photo is dated 1955, it couldn't have been there much longer than that or else I think I may have remembered it. I've checked it wasn't there in 1950 and it was gone by 1967 so it must have been short lived.

Phil

just come accross these two pics of gt francis st....sorry if they have been posted before...

the first on is a rare view of the rear of the railway pub after some demolision..

the second one i love...taken in 1952 with the junction pub on the right...

lyn

pics courtesy of carl chinn

Attachments

• The-Train-Tavern-Great-Francis-Street-17-6-1963-[1].jpg
    The-Train-Tavern-Great-Francis-Street-17-6-1963-[1].jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Nechells Great-Francis-Street-15-1-1952-[1].jpg
    Nechells Great-Francis-Street-15-1-1952-[1].jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 12
Back