• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Google has a update

Hi Wendy,
You have to download Google earth if you haven't got it already, and then it's in there, just zoom into the area you want and you will see a load of little cameras, click on any one in your road, (provided your road has been filmed) and it will give you a house no, right click and a small photo comes up, click on see in full window and wait, when you are in full window mode you can pan 360%, get the no nearest to your own house and when you pan you should see your own house, if you're lucky as I was you will get full frontal (hope that doesn't sound naughty) view.

Hello John,

I havent got Google earth so I will have a go with your instructions to get it. Thanks ever so much for your help.
WendyP

google street view

Hi
Don't know if I'm the last to use this but what a super tool. I've just looked along Lozells Road to look at St Pauls Church which appears in my tree several times. You get to look at the church from all angles by dragging the curser! I haven't worked out if you can save these images but its amazing!!!:D

John
i thought that date was the date of the scan from above. I would expect the date of the street view to be different. not that I know for sure
Mike

Morning Mike,
Yes you are probably right, The reason I thought that was the date is because when I checked my daughters house her old car was still on the drive and happened to co-incide with that date roughly.
Upon reflection there is no way they could do all those roads in one day obviously.
A way to roughly guage time is from some of the adverts on buses or posters in shop windows, but this only applies to busy shopping areas or
bus routes, no good if you live in a cul-de-sac.
Regards John.

John I haven't got Google Earth and I've been able to have a look around Brum:)

Alf
I can't seem to get it on google earth yet, though i have the latest update (I thnk), but can on google maps
Mike

Hi,
My husband worked in Dean Street end of 50's/60's at F. Parr Ltd. He always regrets he didnt take a photo of Parrs before they pulled the street down. The only went over the road to the corner of Hurst St./Sherlock St.
I suppose no one has a photo do they. Parrs made trucks and trolleys and wheelbarrows etc. for the wholesale market amongst others. Picture from e-papers repository
WendyP
bb0323.jpg

Last edited:
Back