• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

I like to see the background to these signs, thanks Janice. With an interest in WW1 I'm always interested to see how these firms converted their output to produce different products for the war effort - in this case components (blades) for submarines. Viv.

The firm moved from Whitehouse st between 1910 and 1912

thanks mike...so thats a nice old ghost sign then...only spotted it by chance while do a recky of the area mainly of pubs still standing

also thanks for that link janice..i thought the firm had moved to erdington but did not know when..

Last edited:
It's ironic that the older sign has been well maintained on this building in Spencer Street, while the newer one on the side of the building is gradually losing all its letters. Don't really know what its supposed to say except the last word might be 'Different' . Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 32
Heres something different ? Possibly the signwriter suffers the opposite of the stallholder's apostrophe - he doesn't included it

I agree Mike although not sure about the "ig" higher up. It does look like a gap between the "E" and "S" so perhaps the apostrophe has fallen off!!

Janice

Found an image on google which shows that the top of that wall actually has a line above the "ig" (which was once an "ing"). Top line had a A and H (gap between them) and underneath was A.........ING and then underneath that was the "Heres something different".
Google 2009 street view has a few more letters.
Still no idea what is was though.
Janice

Nice detective work Mike and Janice. As the top line is a smaller font my guess is it is a long word like manufacturing or engineering perhaps. So maybe it was 'A.H ... engineering'or 'manufacturing' ? Mind you, how that fits with the slogan 'Here's Something Different' haven't a clue. Viv.

A nice article in the JQ buildings Janice. The article totally ignores this sign ! I'd expected to find a comment on there. Just proves how we all look for and are attracted to very different things when it comes to looking at buildings. Viv.

morning viv and yes i believe it says aston chain and hook co ltd...i have a brass book mark made by them

lyn

The Mercedes dealer on the junction of Bromford Lane and Tyburn road now stands where the Aston Chain and Hook used to be. Two of my brothers worked there. Had many family wedding receptions in their canteen. Happy days.

Ell Brown's reference in #393 to a sign for a butcher. Went down this morning and took a photo. (Not far from where I live but had to wait for Sunday and would not have been able to park in the week!) It says O R Wilson, Butchers, noted for quality, & 5.. Coventry Road
Telling me it is too large a file - will have to see what I can do.
Janice

Ell. An excellent sign of the butchers. And thanks Janice for taking the trouble to get a photo of the full sign. It's a beauty.

Another nice find Froth. Such a small sign for a great big cinema. It was the"Super Cinema of the Suburbs" and opened in 1925. More info here https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/36824

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Janice. I only get the bus through Sparkhill, never get off unless we have to change buses for some reason or other.

This isn't in Birmingham, it's in Burton upon Trent in Staffordshire.

A ghost sign on Midland Railway Bonded Stores and Grain Warehouse No 4. Top right hand corner.

Very glad that the butcher's sign has been recorded as it may be covered over again. If not the weather will soon make it a thing of the past. Well worth keeping an eye out for removal of large billboards as the chances are there's an old painted advert on the wall underneath. Viv.

Ell no worries - quite close really, it was only the stopping and parking to take the photo which bothered me - easy to stop in the dessert place today. Difficult to date the butcher's sign - there seem to be a line of O R Wilson listed - first one I found was 1921. I think the name is Ostin (or Osten) Roger. Listed on the 1940 Kelly's (several addresses) and also 1955 electoral roll at 1469 Stratford Road Hall Green. He died in 1964 aged 83 and left just over £23,000.

Janice

Last edited:
Funny you should mention the Twinings sign as I have been racking my brains to remember where it was.
Think it was in Grove Road - just visible on 2008 Google street view but gone now.
Janice

Last edited:
ghost sign taken today at 38 albion street jewellery quarter

Attachments

• various pics may 2016 020.JPG
    various pics may 2016 020.JPG
    627.7 KB · Views: 23
  • various pics may 2016 021.JPG
    various pics may 2016 021.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 22
Funny you should mention the Twinings sign as I have been racking my brains to remember where it was.
Think it was in Grove Road - just visible on 2008 Google street view but gone now.
Janice

It's the one on Formans Road to the right of Home Zone.

https://goo.gl/maps/BA7Kk1uEUNG2

And by the looks of the Street Map View history, it also had a billboard that was taken done for some reason or other.

Another smasher Lyn. I've fiddled with it to highlight the writing a little bit. This is what I can read so far J ..........Y & SONS POLISHERS. & NICKEL PLATERS EST 18..

image.jpeg Viv.

Janice and Ell. So does anyone know if the Twinings one is still visible or has it been covered over now? Very nice sign too. Viv.

Re:Albion Street - there was a firm called Joseph Fray at 36 in the 1940s but can't see it "and sons". They were medallists so not sure if that fits.
Janice

Looks highly likely Janice. Although maybe someone who knows the medal manufacturing process can enlighten us. Viv.

Back