• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC WITTON WORKS

Re: GEC Witton Works
Hi everyone, I am new to this so forgive me if I do anything wrong. Have much enjoyed reading your stories of GEC Witton.
I wonder if anyone remembers or has stories of John Adey known as Jack Adey. He was a Store Keeper at the GEC Witton and also an Athletics coach for the Athletics Club until his death in 1948. I should love to hear anything if you have

Re: GEC Works Witton

I served my time at G.E.C. in the 60's and finished up in the New Turbo Shop. Looking back I think I had one of the finest training programmes that you could get and the Indentures were made up of several large parchment pages written on Roman numerals with large red wax seals. Produce that at an interview and watch the eyes pop out.

I served my time at G.E.C. in the 60's and finished up in the New Turbo Shop. Looking back I think I had one of the finest training prorammes that you could get and the Indentures were made up of several large parchment pages written in Roman numerals with large red seals. Produce that at an interview and watch the eyes pop out!

When I left school (in 1963) I got an interview at GEC, in Electric Avenue I think, for the position of a laboratory assistant. I walked there from home in deep snow, and can remember arriving at this impressive reception to tell the lady that I'd got an interview with Mr So-and-so (can't remember his name, which is probably just as well). She gave me directions how to get to his office, and off I went to find myself wandering along miles of oak-panelled corridors with highly-polished floors, and pretty soon getting hopelessly lost. Eventually I was a good half-hour late for my appointment, so I just ducked out of the first door I came across that led outside, and walked back home again. My mother went nuts when I told her what had happened....never did go back to the GEC.

Big Gee

Big Gee I would love to have seen the look on your moms face when you returned home. Living in Holte road our neighbours tended to work at IMI GEC or Halidays Drop Forgings. Jean.

She was not best pleased, Jean, let me tell you. Rather naturally she assumed that I wasn't interested in getting a job (she was right...) and just dipped out. Most of my pals from Perry Barr worked at Kynochs when they left school. When I eventually started work it was as a lab technician at Birmingham University on about half the money I could have made at the GEC...story of my life, really...

Big Gee

Mike, do you recall any names from your time at Witton, as I would have been in either rotaing plant estermating or large turbo generator sales around that time.????
Having just transfered from relay shop in swithgear dept up by Q shop.
NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE BIG SHOP (TURBO BAY) GO IN MY LIFE TIME or THE MAIN ADDMIN BE JUST A FRONTAGE as it is now.
Sad Sad DAYS

My very first job when I left school was at the GEC in the drawing office, July 1944 still wartime. I lived in Queens Rd so only had 15 mins walk. I was in awe at the size of the place. Eric

Hi Eric, which DO did you work in, I started in EDO IN 1955 as trainee under Mr ROBERTS Standard motor section.

I started my lifetime work at the GEC as an indentured drawing office apprentice in 1955. D.O. school was the first stop there and starting apprentice wage in 1955 was 10/6 per week with one day release per week for academic learning at college (Aston). This was the standard agreement and all of us D.O. apprentices were paid the same small amount, as far as I know. It was a five year affair and the signed indenture was a two page blueish document, folded, which was handed back at the end of ones apprenticeship with ones postings and academic achievements printed on the back. Not exactly a flamboyant affair.
The pay was not great but one recieved raises throughout the five years anually and at the end one started a thing called AESD rates. Association Of Engineering and Shipbuilding Draughtsmen. In those days these rates were not great either...considering the ammount of hard work and study involved. If you wanted to make money one would think that working at an auto assembly job would have been far better; where very good wages could be earned with secondary modern schooling only.
Some of my associates there left the company to join electricity generating boards around the country where conditions and pay and pensions, one suspects, were far better.
Anyway, my carreer, I feel, started after I left the GEC. and I eventually became a design engineer in heavy mechanical engineering for which my switchgear training was of no use whatsoever. Some of the shop training was valuable. One is easily led at an early age and although I explained that I was mechanically inclined...I was put in the electrical stream and one felt that one was merely part of a qouta that had to be filled. It all worked out in the end.

Yes they new how to put on a good dance at the club, two of the main stays on the club commitee were.‚.. GEC bowling bubbies of mine Jimmy Jack & Alec Sutton. It was the time when men had dinner suits and the ladies wore evening dress. I remember dancing to.‚.. Sid Lawance? and his band I say dancing more like prancing my wife was the dancer in our family,it was great fun all the same.
THE MEMORIES COME FLOODING BACK ON THIS WEB SITE
MANY THANKS FOR A VERY VERY GOOD SITE.
ASTON
Hi, I worked at parsons for 13 yrs till they closed us down. I well remember jimmy jack, he was my foreman in the machine shop (I think they made him foreman because he knew all of the tricks and wangles of the trade (probably invented a few of them himself) I also knew alec sutton. I worked on the big horizontal millers at the bottom of the shop, and the big rotor slot miller halway down.

Hello to the Baron,
Thanks for your reply on the 6th, it is so long ago but I remember more faces than I can names.
Alot of my family worked at Witton. My Father worked in the Process Planning Dept, a cousin of mine,Geoff, worked in the Drawing Office but I think that may have been over in switchgear.
After my Mother died, my Father remarried into the Walker family and I became a cousin to Bob Walker whom I think you knew and also his Father,Sid--both have now passed away, Bob fairly recently with cancer.
The forman in the Turbo Shop was I think Melon or Mellor, he walked with a limp and I don't care how tough a guy thought he was but everyone moved when they saw him comming along. Stan Jacques was more approachable but no ones fool. I remember Jack Meggot, a chap called Avery ( both charge hands ) and two guys by the name of Eric, one was short and never stopped talking and the other was a huge Irish chap with a trimmed beared, one of the strongest men I have ever met but one of the kindest.
I to was shocked when I discovered that the whole complex had gone.
Before he died my Brother (ex G.E.C.) lived near Aldridge and in his nearest Pub was a group of ex G.E.C.chaps who enjoyed talking about the old days. He remembered that if the conversation was lagging for any reason someone would only have to mention the word "WEINSTOCK" and the whole place would errupt.
I will always consider myself fortunate in having trained/worked at G.E.C.. Some of the men I worked with only had a basic education but where highly intelligent and worldly wise, their wisdom and guidance helped to shape my character for the rest of my life.
A huge vote of thanks to you Baron and to people like Ray Griffiths and everyone else who has contributed to the site, you have helped to fill in many of the gaps to my memory that develops with time.

Hi Richard X,
You were absolutely right in describing Bob Walker as one of lifes gentlemen. After I left G.E.C. at the end of my Apprenticeship I work in various parts of the world and Bob and I lost touch. My lasting memory of him is that you could completely relax in his company because you knew that he would not tell you any lies or deceive you or stab you in the back. A decent chap like him who passes away early, life does tend to have a cruel twist to it.

Hello to the Baron,
Thanks for your reply on the 6th, it is so long ago but I remember more faces than I can names.
Alot of my family worked at Witton. My Father worked in the Process Planning Dept, a cousin of mine,Geoff, worked in the Drawing Office but I think that may have been over in switchgear.
After my Mother died, my Father remarried into the Walker family and I became a cousin to Bob Walker whom I think you knew and also his Father,Sid--both have now passed away, Bob fairly recently with cancer.
The forman in the Turbo Shop was I think Melon or Mellor, he walked with a limp and I don't care how tough a guy thought he was but everyone moved when they saw him comming along. Stan Jacques was more approachable but no ones fool. I remember Jack Meggot, a chap called Avery ( both charge hands ) and two guys by the name of Eric, one was short and never stopped talking and the other was a huge Irish chap with a trimmed beared, one of the strongest men I have ever met but one of the kindest.
I to was shocked when I discovered that the whole complex had gone.
Before he died my Brother (ex G.E.C.) lived near Aldridge and in his nearest Pub was a group of ex G.E.C.chaps who enjoyed talking about the old days. He remembered that if the conversation was lagging for any reason someone would only have to mention the word "WEINSTOCK" and the whole place would errupt.
I will always consider myself fortunate in having trained/worked at G.E.C.. Some of the men I worked with only had a basic education but where highly intelligent and worldly wise, their wisdom and guidance helped to shape my character for the rest of my life.
A huge vote of thanks to you Baron and to people like Ray Griffiths and everyone else who has contributed to the site, you have helped to fill in many of the gaps to my memory that develops with time.

How dare you call Mr Wal Colley, (Mellor) he limped but he would beat you down the shop.

A little story about Wal I went in his office one day for a warrant to get a tin of Stag brand jointing paste from the stores, he opened his desk and pull out a grubby old tin of stag and bring it back when you have finished.

7.28 am he would walk up the Turbo shop whistling as he went, then he would walk down and turn off every gas taps, and lights and at the same time encouraging staff to get to work.

When we used put a rotor down overspeed pit the baffles used to leak under the suction from the impellor on the rotor he fetch us down there to cure the leak.

His famoussaying was son a good engineer always carry's a ball of string and a tin of grease, and he'd pull some string from his pocket, get some grease son and he would place it on the joints of the baffle string and grease and tighten it up and it worked.

He was good engineer would do anything to cut costs.

Perhaps these names will bring back memories:- Mr. Patridge ( Supt.) Stan Jacques (Assist. Foreman) Percy Grimsley (the clown) Gordon Baker, Terry Law, Johnny Simner, Ray Domney, Reg Marlow, Eric Golder (end bell king) Frankie Redgate (Dynamic Balance), Jeana Dodds (overspeed queen) Ronnie Harrison (Chief Insp) and his mat Tom ? Viv Avery ( he wasn't chargehand when I was there)

You speak of "Weinstock" I remember him as a student apprentice he done well for his selfish self.

He went to America to done some of his cost cutting training when returned a notice was put on the board that he would shut any dept. that was loosing money. The first piece real estate to go was the stores building in Brantley Road, he was evil, he is why so many of left to Jion CEGB Hams Hall, Walsall and Ocker Hill PS.

It was strange we left on the Friday and C A Parson took over on the Monday no-body had any idea it was to take place.

I could go on for ever about the GEC, Yes you are right it was a wonderfull place to serve your time, and work I started April 13th 1953 as apprentice.

Working in Big Shop, Standard Shop, Small Motor, Turbo Shop, not forgetting the mandatory 8 weeks in DA, I was unfortunate in there over Christmas Phew.

Happy days we had some laughs

Here are some pictures of better days at GEC Turbo Shop.

Top picture is of Gordon Bakers leaving Presentation he went to Ocker Hill, but returned later to GEC.

Middle Picture Terry Laws Wedding Presentation He left with myself to join CEGB Hams Hall PS with Ray Domney and another ex- apprentice Johnny ?

Bottom picture is of Graham Ellis's wedding presentation.

Ex GEC

As Byrl Reid would say ""Good evening each ".
From all my family i.e. Wife, Children and Grandchildren (11) may we wish you all a very happy Christmas and wealth and good health for 2010.
I had to work away last year but I will be home this time for a proper traditional Christmas.
Many thanks to all of you and your smashing photograph's and storie's, my Apprenticeship at G.E.C. and the men I worked with helped to form my character for the rest of my life.I'm afraid some of the memories and names where beginning to fade ( Isn't that right Ray ) but thanks to you all I can now share them with my family.

Very Interesting thread Mike. I went to school(Marsh Hill Junior and Infants) with a Geoffrey Bond. This would be from 1946 to l952. Could that
chap be your cousin?

Mike did you say your Dad worked in process planning dept (was that in Switchgear) .
My Father worked in Switchgear progress dept XM SECTION up till they closed then he moved over to PARSONS PEEBLES drawing office/cost dept under a guy called Chris Dain.This put him in the same area as my self LARGE ROTATING PLANT, he helped cost material for sales/contracts dept.

Hello Jennyann,
What an amazing Forum this is ! Yes I do have a Cousin called Geoffrey Bond and the dates you gave would I think fit in with Geoffs age. He has now retired but is still fairly high up in the Local Government Labour Party. He started work as a Draughtsman at G.E.C., I hadn't seen Geoff for years untill he and his Wife came to stay with my family last year.Nice to hear from you Jennyann.

Hi Mike: Sounds like it's the same Geoffrey. Nice to know about him. I am wondering if he is on my school photo. I will have a look and see. If so I'll let you know. Glad to hear that you are in touch with Geoffrey again. Thanks for your reply.

You Guys are great ,THANKS for keeping this Thread alive. HOPE TO POST MORE ON THE GEC FOLKS & TIMES IN THE NEW YEAR .
THE BARON

Both my Sisters and a couple of friends worked at the G.E.C. when they left school one in the 1950s one in the early 1960s

Last edited:
Hi Mike: I have found the school photo with Geoffrey on it. I had posted it on Friends Reunited a few years back and listed the names of all of those I remembered on the photo. Here is the link for the photo on Marsh Hill Junior and Infants site on Friends Reunited The photo is the last but one as you follow the blue dot across the bottom. I am on the photo on the second row from the front
on the right hand side, last but one child. My name is listed for the spot as Jennifer Venville. https://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/a...member_key=0&mediaKey=0&commentPage=0#content

Thanks Jennyann, still Ofshore at the moment but when I get home I will make contact with Geoff--what a Christmas present.Merry Christmas, Mike

Back