• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gangsters BBC Play for Today

D

doris

My children brought me the above for Fathers Day.....I have only just got around to watching it.....Super.....I did watch it first time round in the 70's but forgot what the plot was.....BUT...This isn't what I writing about...its all the street scenes which are in it....if you think that the great photo's that Ray Griffith has been posting are memory joggers...then you will be over the moon with this DVD.....£12.00 for the complete collection off Play.Com.....a very good cheap gift for Xmas/ Birthday etc....worth every penny.....

Doris thank you for that. My son is in a DVD club and I will order one from him. Even if they are not in stock he orders them. Even got his dad the plank the other week. Jean.

Anyone wanting a copy of the full series including the original Play for Today plus extra’s can find it here:

www.bbcshop.com/Drama+Arts/Gangsters-Complete-Series-DVD/invt/cctv30272

This is the description of the DVD contents:

Originating as a Play For Today, Gangsters was made into a series following much critical acclaim. In this hard adventure drama John Kline, who has just been released from prison and back into a chaotic Birmingham underworld, tries to put a stop to the gangsters' illicit dealings whilst trying to stay alive...

DVD Extras: Commentaries from writer Philip Martin, director Phillip Saville and others. Documentary on Gangsters from The Open University. The original Play For Today.

hi,guys, i have the film of the gangsters,made in brum,can any of you help me i am after a film-drama made in st martins flats in 1977-8, its about a soldier hiding out in the flats, it was shown on tele around 1980, is there a tv list of programmes in them years to look through any help would be great,....regards...christy..

I agree with Doris, i bought the dvd just to see the old footage of birmingham and spent most of the time trying to work out where the different scenes were from, which is just a well as the story lines are awful.

Someone has uploaded this series (not sure if every episode) to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLS7mCvz3fk

Well worth a look if you are interested in 1970's Birmingham.

Paul

I have not looked at the whole of it but I think this is just the pilot Play for Today. After this there were two series of six episodes. I bought the complete set on Amazon in 2009. Was amazed that BBC reissued it with all the racist jokes. Am waiting for a friend to return my copy so I can watch the Birminghamscenes again.

Hi paul;
you beatean me again on the thread about the gangerster film ;
yes i remember it well indeed and filmed around brum in the seventys and it was based on and around the rum runner club broad street ; and you know where the idea came from . And that was based around the fewtrells chaseing back to london the old cronies the kray gang ;
which inspired the film makers yes it was very good to watch
whilst on the subject of old films the one the other about window cleaners doc; that was up around new hall street and vyse street in the early days and what gave the sheldons an idea of cleaning was they was the couple whom was the care takers of a big office block on churchwell passage that used to be there oppersite the town hall and thats when they got he idea of office cleaning
and the sheldons went strengh to strengh i remember watching that programe with intrest years ago as well as my brothers because we had a father and son come around to our house in the fiftys that ended up to most of the jewerly quarter
gangester i recomend there was another film made with kids around the ladywood are like the dead end kids of london and it was about a gang
of local kids and getting into trouble and i knew mostr of them and the main kid as alan coughman from spring field street
i have been in touch with the albert mosedale whom his well known with his grand parents whom i played with when i was young and it turns out he as married an old friend of my wife ; he told me he can not recall the title but it was alan turningchoir boy and turning his back on gang life and trouble it was all around the area and the double nick knacks of stour street and spring field stre and the rest of the area
but gangesters w3as worth watchng . Have a great ay paul best wishes alan ;; astonian;;

Back