• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fox and Grapes - Digbeth

I cant download your images, but would love to see them, I was born at that pub & spent the first 6 years of my life there back in the 70's, have some great memories there!

To save the ones on here you can right click your mouse and select "Save Image As...".

With mine on Flickr, you can copy any size via Actions -> View all Sizes (choose a size) and then right click "Save Image As...".

Island House is now demolished. And Hotel La Tour opens on Monday the 26th March 2012 (tomorrow).

Hope the council can save the three threatened pubs as well as the Moby Dicks on Gopsal Street (not in HS2 path I think)

hi folks its been a while since we updated this thread..can i suggest that any new members read the posts from the beginning of the thread so that you know a bit about the history of this pub and its age...today i emailed dr mike hodder again today to see if he had any news for us and received this reply.from what he is saying the council actually WANT to preserve this building and the signs are looking good..i was in town today taking a few more pics and will post them shortly..i for one am keeping everything crossed..to lose it would be insane..we have lost enough already....i also mentioned the loss of island house...

lyn

Hi Lyn

The Eastside Masterplan is a non-statutory plan that provides principles
to guide development, and the statements in it about the Fox and Grapes
mean that the Council wants to see it preserved. Any proposal to demolish
it would of course require listed building consent. Island House was only
locally listed which meant that we could not prevent its demolition.

Mike

Dr Mike Hodder MIfA
Planning Archaeologist (including Historic Environment Record)
City Design and Conservation Team

Last edited:
hi froth...ive said from the beginning that seeing is believing especially when it comes to the council and our buildings..empty promises springs to mind....all i can do is report any feed back i get...ive been keeping everything crossed for over a year now and will continue to do so until we have concrete evidence...just a thought..maybe they could divert the track a little lol..

lyn

as promised a few pics that i took yesterday of the fox and grapes..

this first one is looking down the cobbled freeman road..how sad it looks just standing there in this state..and looked even worse on this dull and rainy day

FOX AND GRAPES TODAY 004.JPGFOX AND GRAPES TODAY 006.JPGFOX AND GRAPES TODAY 008.JPGFOX AND GRAPES TODAY 009.JPG

FOX AND GRAPES TODAY 010.JPGFOX AND GRAPES TODAY 011.JPGFOX AND GRAPES TODAY 013.JPGfew more...the only visitors to this pub are the pigeons getting in through the the window in the first pic

Difficult to recognise today's Fox & Grapes as resembling the 1929 view, Lyn. Strange that we have not come across any pictures of this pub from before 1900.

last day of the fox and grapes 2005 with attracia gilligan on the left with husband michael behind

Attachments

• DSC02014.JPG
    DSC02014.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 74
thanks for posting those pics mhemery...i always feel that last day pics of pubs are very sad..still hoping that this one will be saved...

lyn

smashing inside shots michael..i have been updated again today to confirm that everyone is still working hard to try and retain the fox and grapes within the design of the new station...

lyn

Thank you for posting those very special photos of the Fox & Grapes interior, Michael. They are the only glimpses I have seen of the interior.

brilliant michael thanks so much for all these photos they are most important to have...

found the carved figure and framed pic inset into the bar most interesting and shirl i would say that the size and shape of the doors are typical of a building this age...

Last edited:
thanks michael..it just beggars belief how this pub was left to get into the state its now in..

lyn

Its such a treat to so see these pictures of the inside of the Fox & Grapes, Malcolm. Thank you so much. The carved figure must have a story connected to it, Lyn, & I wonder what the pictures on the outside of the bar depicted. Do you remember, Malcolm? Were they moved to the Fox & Grapes from another pub?

hi bordesley exile thanks for your comments, if you refer to post 52 that gives an explanation for the carved figures on the bar,as for the paintings above the windows on the inside they were of fox hunting scenes and no one knew the history of them,all the best michaelDSC02074.JPG

hello bordesleyexile i misunderstood your question about the paintings inset in the bar they were also of hunting scenes thanks mhe

this is the fox and grapes about 1990 note the toilets on the right you used to have to take a very short walk across a small courtyard to access them,
but european law said a corridor would have to be built between the main building and the toilet block, so it wasfox&grapes 3.jpg

Back