• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

hi pembroke..sounds very much to that this is wendys familys bakery you have memories of..im sure wendy will reply when she reads your post...

lyn

Hi Pembroke unfortunatly my Jennings family bakery's died out when one brother died in 1901 and my gt grandfather retired. The family went on to other things but I would imagine the shops would have remained as bakery's so it probably was the same building. What great memories though.

As you say,Wendy the bakery where my relation bought the "clandesine cakes" in Farm Street could well have been a continuation of your relations business.
Thanks
Pembroke

hello wendy

clareharvey800 has a thread asking for help about ancestors the evans family who lived in farm st. perhaps your friend could remember the family and help her.

chris
Hi wendy i lived next door to the evans family as a child our name was shakespeare
i remember them quite well very nice people and kind to us, we moved to a bigger home on the opposite
side of farm street and i remember they moved not long after that,

Farm Street. Both my father and mother went to school at Farm street school,although they did not know each other. Mum then went to icknield school. Dad lived in Farm Street and mum lived in New John Street West 212. I do not know where dad lived in Farm Street. His name Bryan Arthur Roberts, his Mum was Eliza Roberts formerly Crump and his dad was Arthur Bryan Roberts. All I know about dates is that Mum lived there around 1930. If anyone could help I would be very gratefull. Although most of my family came from Brum and also my wife I was born in Evesham.

replacing...

you can just see the white swan pub on the corner of villa and farm street..

farmstreetbroughs.jpg

i really wish we had more pics of farm st but they are very thin on the ground condering that it started at the bottom of hunters road and ended at summer lane...

lyn

thats a new one to me topsy....i wonder where abouts in farm st that shop was...

thank you for posting it....

Hi bramwell
did they are not have a son called robert ;
also did you know of the deakin family of farm street
have a nice day best wishes astonian

Thank you for the photo topsy is very interesting, several of my family lived in Farm Street aroud 1900.

wonderful pic topsy i cant say as ive seen this one...

thanks for posting it

lyn x

Farm_St_Annex_from_Peoples_Chapel.jpg Found this on the 1stA Boys brigade site recently featured - Farm St annex in Stainsby Ave.
I seem to recall 4 classrooms as a new 'overspill' I was in there 64-65 with Mr Willaims in class 3B before returning tothe main school for 65-66 with Mr Brown and that fateful 11+ exam.
The view is from the 'new' peoples chapel, still there that treplaced the one further down, nearer Lucas's. The school annex went and was replaced by further housing - The Tower block just visible was the last to be built on New John St West - and went some years ago.

oh wow bri well done for finding that pic of the annexe as you know we were both there at the same time...i well remember mr brown and mrs dugard..small playground to the right of the building and thats where i received a wack across the hand for stepping out of line in the playground..nowts changed really lol..just one correction bri the tower block just visible was in unett st not njsw i watched it come down when i lived in geach tower which is the third one along from the left and its those blocks that are in new john st west...what a blast from the past...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
Amazing that there is no sign of it all now - just new housing.
I wasn't sure what the Tower Block was, I used to drop a friend off there some years ago loccasionally, he got moved to Yardley Wod when it came down.

morning bri...the houses you can see running accross are in unett st and they are still there but as you know our old annexe and that block to the left has all gone now...when we had to use the annexe i can remember we came out of the back gate at farm st school onto bridge st west and used to treck across waste land as they had already started demolishing some of the old houses over that way...it meant nothing to me then but i wished i had taken more notice of what was going on....never mind...happy days though

lyn

Hi Lynn,
been over to the Chapel for the Xmas fayre - had a lovely sausage butty! Not very Xmas'y but delicious!

That waste ground lyn - Bridge St West/Guest St/Little King St/Great King St still had 2 houses until April '66 - ours was one! Felt very lonely at night!
Seems such a shame that they built in early '64? Unsure when they finally closed and demolished Farm St - but they obviously didn't get their money's worth out of the building! Probably made a few quid selling it for houses though!

I'm trying to find another pic taken in Gt King St looking up toward New John St - will put it on Gt King St thread when I find it!
Bri

hi bri just seen the pic of gt king st ..brilliant stuff...i bet i walked past your old house then on my way to the annexe..glad you enjoyed the sos buttie lol..

lyn

Hear Hear Lyn - all in a good cause.
Thursdays are prebooked for me these days Rob, but I'll see if something can be rearranged.
Have to loook through your pics again for any more showing the 'old end' in the background!

Hear Hear Lyn - all in a good cause.
Thursdays are prebooked for me these days Rob, but I'll see if something can be rearranged.
Have to loook through your pics again for any more showing the 'old end' in the background!

oh yes bri please post any others you can find...can you keep yer eyes peeled for nursery road/villa st way..mind you anywhere of the old end way is good..

lyn

Back