• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

hi..i dont understand that....i viewed farm st school records only a few weeks ago...i went to the archives dept at the central library..filled in the forms asking permission to veiw the records and waited for a letter to say i could...i was allowed to see the original admissions registers for both girls and boys..no names were covered up and it was great to see so many friends names that were in my class....i also had a look at the punishment book...owing to data protection the only thing i was not allowed to do was to take photos of the entries as 100 years had not elasped....

you may want to give this a try...

lyn

Hi Mayfield

I'm not from Farm Street but have family roots all over Birmingham - mainly Aston area

My Word, Dr Target was my doctor when we lived in Victoria Grove

I Can also remember Miss Bunch's shop in Farm st, I remember it had a wooden box type till. The shop used to be packed full of clothes, and I am sure we only went there to get stuff on the knock, I remember having to wear a pair of "sensible shoes" obtained from there, they were bloody awful. Do you remember the Dairy further along Farm St? We always used to try and get a free carton of milk out of the vending machine outside when we were walking back from Hockley Brook, never did though!

hi tom..you are the first one to remember miss bunch...mom was always in there..she would have a little savings club and put a bit by each week..having 6 of us thats a lot of feet to sort out...lol...mom said that miss bunch always used to say you couldnt get better hard wearing shoes than from her shop...actually have you seen the old pic of the dispensary on the corner of farm st..i think you can just see half of miss bunches shop on it....its on post 10...

lyn

hi folks..just rec this copy of a pic i ordered from the archives...i had this on me lap top last year but lost it....until now i didnt know the name of the young girl on the crossing but if i am not mistaken i know who it is so i will call on her when i can and show her this pic...we felt pretty safe in those days didnt we.? i mean just look at that pic...not only have we got the lollipop man but also the good old beat copper and chances are the woman looking on is the little girls mom.....

corner of farm st/burbury st..

mabz...is this the same crossing you were standing by when we went down the old end..if so would harry lucas school be on the right opposite the lucas factory.

lyn

Hi Astoness

Just read your thread about viewing your school records. I didnt know you could do that. Would I be able to go to the archives and ask for Nansen Road School from 1955 -1959? Does it show the teachers too?
If so, next time I come home to Brum I will go and do it.
WendyP

Great picture of the crossing Astoness. I used it many times when the school was Burbury Street. We used to clamber along the window ledges shown at the back. They got higher as you moved along. I could only just get onto the last one on the right.

nice memories john..am i right in thinking that is farm st running accros...

hi wendy...yes you can view the records if they have them...as you are asking to view the 50s you would not be able to take any pics of them as 100 years have not expired and therefore they are covered by the data protection act...you will also need a carn membership card to go into the archives dept..this wouldnt be problem to set that up on the day you visit the library...take with you photographic id if you have it..ie passport or driving license..and utility bill..as you have to gain permission to get the records out i would advise that you first phone the library up to see how you do this as there is a form to fill in..this is easy if you live in brum but im not sure how they go about it if you dont...just a note..when you phone up dont forget to ask them if they actually have records of the school you are looking for..you can view the girls addmissions book and the boys and also the punishment book if they had one...and also any pics of the school they may have...

hope this is of help to you..good luck

lyn

We can always depend on you Lyn to post a great photograph. I used to use that crossing on my way to Harry Lucas. It is the crossing just up from the main entrance to Burbury Park at the junction of Farm Street.

You posted the photograph below looking down Burbury Street (from Bridge Street West) towards the crossing.

Keep them coming Lyn. Mabz

yes mabz i remember posting that pic...so am i correct then...is harry lucas school on the right of the lucas factory...by the way ive just had a reply from carl chinn and he said harry lucas is one of the few schools he has not go a pic of....dont worry if i can get the vine pub im sure yer school will turn up somewhere....

lyn

just come accross this brilliant pic of the provident dispensary on the corner of farm st and villa street...

lyn

Lyn - great photograph. if I remember correctly, this was directly opposite Farm street School? mabz

yes mabz.. thats right..as you know its still there...ive posted a pic of it taken round about the 60s somewhere..

just come accross this brilliant pic of the provident dispensary on the corner of farm st and villa street...

lyn[/quote

What a coincidence lyn you & I were talking about the dispencesary. My mom used to pay 4 pence a week for the family. including medicine. Dr Richenfeld ( who escaped from Austria with his family W11.) was an excellent Dr.
Jean.

hi jean....yes i remember us talking about it the other night...thought i had seen an old pic of it somewhere.i am trawling through some old brum mags at the min looking for another pic and there it was....i forgot to ask you if you remember miss bunches shop next door to the dispensary..

lyn

hi jean....yes i remember us talking about it the other night...thought i had seen an old pic of it somewhere.i am trawling through some old brum mags at the min looking for another pic and there it was....i forgot to ask you if you remember miss bunches shop next door to the dispensary..

lyn

No Lyn I don't remember Miss Bunches shop. perhaps my sweet coupons had all been used up by the time I got to her shop from Burbury St.
Jean.

Hello,
My grandfather Oliver Sargent ran a shop in Farm Street before the war at 232, Farm street. Before that they lived in a court behind the shop 8, Claremount Place, Farm Street. My father Edward ( Ted) was born at this adddress along with his brothers Percy, Leonard,Ronald & Sidney. Oliver was also a baker at Ernest Knights in Frederick Road, Aston. They lived opposite St Matthias church ( which I would love a photo of, if anyones got one ) My dad said he used to pump the air for the organ.
Tony Sagent.

It's 2am I've just Googled Farm St Bham (why would I do that? there are strange forces at work here) and stumbled across this treasure trove of pix and stories. To think I only joined this outfit a week ago. My ancestors were clockmakers named Lees who lived at No 1 or No 3 from around 1851 to 1910. Can anyone identify this address on these superb photos? Farm St seems to have been built just in time to miss the 1841 census, which is darned annoying. Also (lastly) anyone ever heard that two winners of the Victoria Cross came from this street? That would be amazing. Thank you fcor keeping me up half the night. Regards to all, Alan Smith

Nos 1 and 3 don't seem to be listed in any directory, but working back on the 1890 map below, the blue building must have been no 6 , which makes the red one number 3. The position of no 1 seems to be part of the Benyon Arms pub (address in hockley st , not Farm St) which is shown (much later) in the picture. I would guess the building marked in red on the map is just off to the left. Possibly the one corresponding to no 1 would be the one to the left of the picture, though this seems part of the pub here, and from the map seems to be part of it then also.
Mike

map__3_and_6__farm_st_c_1890.jpg

It's 2am I've just Googled Farm St Bham (why would I do that? there are strange forces at work here) and stumbled across this treasure trove of pix and stories. To think I only joined this outfit a week ago. My ancestors were clockmakers named Lees who lived at No 1 or No 3 from around 1851 to 1910. Can anyone identify this address on these superb photos? Farm St seems to have been built just in time to miss the 1841 census, which is darned annoying. Also (lastly) anyone ever heard that two winners of the Victoria Cross came from this street? That would be amazing. Thank you fcor keeping me up half the night. Regards to all, Alan Smith

Hello Alan

I see that Mikejee has been able to help you ~ this is a wonderful website and the people on here have been extremely helpful to me in the past. I don't know who the people were that won the VC but someone on here will probably know.
Good luck
Sian

Hi Mike, thanks for that. Will get into it ASAP but can't stop now .... Birmingham are kicking off at Portsmouth. regards Alan.

Hello again. I've scoured this thread, read every one I'm sure and most interesting it is. But I'd be grateful if someone would describe the floor plan of the interior of a house/ any house/ in Farm St. How many rooms downstairs and upstairs? Kitchen? Scullery? I've been in a back-to-back house but that must have been 65+ years ago. And while I'm at it. Does anyone know when this street was laid out? It would have been just after the 1841 census, which is annoying. Who built and owned the houses? Were they built and sold on or were they rented out? So many questions, sorry. Regards Alan

Alan this link may help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Back_to_Backs

My great grandfather owned at least two houses in Farm Street maybe more around 1860. Here is his obituary which may throw some light on the subject.

A Handsworth Octogenarian’s Death

The late Mr. Jennings, of Lozells Road, who died on Sunday in his 88th year, was one of the oldest inhabitants of Handsworth, and his recollections of that portion of Greater Birmingham were very interesting. He was by business a baker, and at one time was known as the largest buyer of flour in Birmingham. He was also a large buyer of house property, and was considered as great an expert in this class of speculation that many people used to go to the old gentleman or advice and information on prospective purchases. In the early days the populous and busy street now known as Burbury Street was a large clayhole on a piece of waste ground, where the only dwellers were a few squatters in ramshackle huts. Mr. Jennings bought the last stack of bricks from Lewis, the owner o the brick works, when the work of building on the land was begun. It is a matter of regret that three old residents of the district- Mr. Jennings, Mr. H .H. Hartshorne (the first president o the Aston Villa) and Mrs. Alfred Taylor(the widow of the late Alderman Taylor)- have all passed away within a few days of each other.

Aris’s Gazette, January 25th 1913.

hi lynn
have you got a picture of broughtons the builders merchants on the corner of farm street where the number 8 used to turn towards the hockley brook
and they used to be oppersite the farm st school on the oppersite side of the corner they was on
i remember the phumpreys whom lived in those massonettes along from the corner of broughtons
also my old school mate the deakins lived in fartm street alonmg with the rideding famly on farm street
a couple of years ago i went down farm street on behalf of a friend and beleive me it was a scarrie feeling this was at a evening time i went to purchase some securuty
cameras for a family friend whom hold a high postion in sutton coldfield and he did not wanted to be reconised its was a wicked place to be they all had them bull terriers the status symbol i am told have a nice day best wishes ala

Back