• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elmdon Airport Birmingham International Airport

Surely something needs to happen to save the old airport terminal building. When I go over to the UK I usually get the bus from the existing arrivals to Solihull and the road goes over towards the old terminal. Always brings back memories.

Surely something needs to happen to save the old airport terminal building. When I go over to the UK I usually get the bus from the existing arrivals to Solihull and the road goes over towards the old terminal. Always brings back memories.

Just come across this petition to help save the old terminal. Come on Lads and Lasses on the forum, lets try and do our bit
.https://www.change.org/p/birmingham-airport-save-the-original-elmdon-terminal-building-at-birmingham-airport?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=463162958&

signed...really hope this building can be saved absolutely love the shape of it...come on folks there is no point in complaining when these iconic buildings have gone never to be replaced...spread the word anyway you can:)

lyn

It comes out in Spanish;

1.584 personas han firmado. ¡Ayuda a conseguir 2.500!

default-user-profile.svg

Peter Lee ha firmado esta petición
YTPbTDwDsZXxfhb-48x48-noPad.jpg

Peter Hall ha firmado Hace 3 minutos
default-user-profile.svg

Terry Hough ha firmado Hace 7 minutos

Thanks Lyn, liked your sentiments, cookie, sheldontony. Come on the rest of you, lets do our bit to save this beautiful building.

I should be travelling past this building on Thursday, long weekend in UK, first in nearly 12 months. Hope you can get some decent weather arranged, very nice Spring here.

Signed the petition.

A few images below from the July 1939 opening. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 27
Well done lads ! As a reward here's a nice construction advert ! Viv.

KEEP THOSE SIGNATURES COMING EVERYONE

image.jpeg

BUA was British United Airways, from the 1960s. It was sold to Caledonian Airways in 1970

Signed ... and in #438 they are queuing to board the built-in back stairs of a 1-11 ... and the Aux Power Unit (a small jet engine) just above their heads was usually running making lots of noise.

Well done Phil. Here's your reward ... sorry, quality of the text isn't brilliant but you can probably just about make it out. Viv.image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 6
Thanks all you forumittes, what a wonderful response to help save this beautiful building. Well done.
Thanks Beadit for setting up the petition. If you haven't signed yet please do, don't let this moment slip.
The building is absolutely unique in this country and probably the world, and its on our doorstep. Don't let the money grabbers destroy it.
Can I have a reward as well Viv , lovely newspaper cuttings.

You certainly can Elmdon Boy. Your special reward is a delivery of large eggs for the opening ceremony ! Viv.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the pics of Easter eggs Viv. :DI've not seen that one before.
The threat of war was very real, even before war was declared.
I guess these were for demonstration purposes only at the opening ceremony, as I wouldn't expect barrage balloons to be placed actually on the airfield due to the danger to home aircraft.

Wasn't there an aircraft factory the other side of the railway?. could not this have been protected by balloons?

Fair comment mikejee, yes the old metro camell works were on the far side assembling Short Sterling, and Lancaster bombers, I guess that would have been a good use for them during the war as long as they weren't in the way of circuit traffic.
The photo in the newspaper cutting was before war had started, and I don't think they were using the factory on the far side for bomber production then, so as I say were probably there for demonstration purposes at the opening ceremony.

Last edited:
Back