• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elmdon Airport Birmingham International Airport

I had not realised that the Air Terminal in Easy at the side of the Civic Centre (now called Baskerville House) was designated as a temporary building. As a child of that era, to me 'pre-fab' buildings were part of normal life.
Agree, did not consider them anything but. In retrospect they were a great idea for the time & place. I just wonder in today’s world how long it would to get something like that. In the US we would need at least three committees!

A couple of poor-quality half-tone press photos from Elmdon airport's opening on a rainy 8th July 1939.

ensignbham.jpg
One of the huge, new four-engined Armstrong Whitworth Ensign airliners (G-ADSW "Eddystone" of Imperial Airways) put in an appearance.

skuadisplay1.jpg
Despite the rain, a unit of Navy Blackburn Skuas put on a display of dive-bombing, followed by a low-level attack on a dummy submarine conning tower set up on the airfield. Perhaps a little too low, because the same tactic led to the loss of a couple of Skuas only two months later when they were brought down by the blast of their own bombs when attacking a German Submarine in the Atlantic.

Back