• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Electric Trams

Sorry if I have repeated any pics.You must realise how many threads that there are on trams and I have trawled through as many as I could before posting. It is difficult as so many pics are missing due to hackers.If you point out which you have already posted I will remove mine.I have decided not to post any more pics on the any of the 'Trams' threads to avoid treading on any toes Bernard.

keegs, because of the multiplication of the same subject/threads and because of the hacking (some images replaced, others not) it is imposible not to have the occassional duplication, does it really matter? Having duplicate images is better than no image at all surely. Eric

Hello again David, it was an article publicising a new book and did not give any details but I think the same as you on this one.

image038.jpg
I have recieved several tram pics via Email from a friend abroad, I can't say whether there are any new/old pics so the enthusiasts may well have seen these before. No information with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's at Salford Bridge facing Gravelly Hill: the Erdington Arms pub in the distance, and Slade Road off to the left of it.

Tram831BreedonHill.jpg
This one is just cresting the canal bridge at The Breedon Cross pub.

Hello Ray, I have heard that before so there could be some truth in it.

Cotteridge.jpg
I know nothing about the tram but the photo is/was in Cotteridge.

Bournbrook.jpg
I need Lloyd, all I have with this one is the word Bournbrook.

To the rescue!
Birmingham Central Tramways car no 104, an Accumulator (battery) powered tram, one of 12 built by the Falcon Engine and Car Works, Loughborough - formerly Hughes Locomotive and Tramway Engine Co, and later Brush Traction - still in existance - outside the depot for such vehicles in Dawlisn Road, Bournbrook (Selly Oak now). They were built in 1890 and survived running on Bristol Road between Navigation Street and Selly Oak railway bridge until replaced by more conventional overhead wire electric trams in 1901. This photograph, and ones of other equipment inside the depot were taken by/for the electrical engineering suppliers, The Electric Construction Co of Wolverhampton soon after the line and cars were built.

As well as the 12 'bogie' accumularor trams, there were two smaller 4-wheel cars, 113 & 114 which only lasted a short time. Although smaller. they carried smaller batteries and could not keep up with a full day's work.
Here's 113 in about the same place as 104 was above, again an ECC photo. Note the two left hand rocker panels are open, exposing some of the batteries, which could be unloaded and replaced with recharged ones fairly quickly in the depot. There was a steam engine-driven generating plant for charging the accumulators there, but one problem with the batteries was the leakage of acidic fumes which discloured and rotted passengers' lower clothes!

CBT Accumulator car 113.jpg

Last edited:
Tram 674 Carrs Lane..jpg
I am led to believe that this picture was taken in Carrs Lane but I do not have a date.

View attachment 77725
I am led to believe that this picture was taken in Carrs Lane but I do not have a date.

I don't see any overhead wires in this photo. This could therefore be after the last tram day when the trams were taken from Aston Depot to Kyotts Lake Depot for scraping. As the overhead had been removed in Carrs Lane, the tramcars had to freewheel down the hill into Moor Street

I don't see any overhead wires in this photo. This could therefore be after the last tram day when the trams were taken from Aston Depot to Kyotts Lake Depot for scraping. As the overhead had been removed in Carrs Lane, the tramcars had to freewheel down the hill into Moor Street
That is correct - even in those days, there were enthusiasts who photographed the event from many angles, and who also took the last opportunities to ride on a tramcar, some offering to hold the cord from the overhead pole as the tram travelled through the 'dead' section.

short Heath.jpg Stoney Lane.jpg
These are my last two trams and I may have posted the first one of Short Heath terminus before. The second one is in Stoney Lane.

na.jpeg---naa.jpeg
From a recent newspaper, No1 is/was the last tram at Erdington Terminus in 1953 and No2 is/was the first steam tram in Birmingham in 1882.

Back