• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Electric Trams

I have no idead but the caption with the picture does say Football Special, football Fans and Martineau Street. It also says Football Special on the destination Blind.

It looks like Martineau Street to me and as Stitcher says, the blind does say Football Special rather than a route number. Martineau Street was the loading point for tram routes 3, 3X, 6.7.8.9.and 10 and would be the logical city centre departure point for Football Specials to Villa Park.

As Stitcher says a very orderly queue, and would also have included any away fans who could have afforded to travel in those days.

Yes, a closer perusal of the car destination blind does indeed give 'football' special. Should have had the correct glasses on! :culpability:

I can't be sure what information the car blinds gave when trams took people to the races at Bromford Bridge although memory suggests was it the numeral 8. I just remember seeing lots of them and many, many people alighting from them.

It was always a grand event at the Races and although being far too young to place bets it was still a very thrilling day out.

Regarding Villa Park and the team that played there: no mention was ever made of their name by my fathers family . My fathers brothers were all staunch supporters of Birmingham City FC - The Blues. Mention of the other Midland teams was tantamount to swearing!

Yes that is Martineau St and the Football Special was in effect a 3X tram which went via Aston Rd Aston Rd North Lichfield Rd up Park Rd And down the hill passing Aston Church and Villa Park to Witton. Having lived in both Quens Rd and Vicarage Rd this was my main form of transport, eventually changed to the 39 'bus, not the same somehow, this was in the 40's and 50's. Eric

Does anyone know where the football trams to St Andrews went from? I have been told Navigation Street but looking at the track plans I don't think the trams would have got across the junction into Hill Street. I seem to remember the Football buses going from Navigation Street however. Trams to the Hawthorns would have left from Colmore Row.

i can remember just before and just after the war getting the Football Special Bus from outside Grays dept store, Bull street opp; Lewis-s. Bernard

Thanks JennyAnn I was aware of that list. It was the Football Specials that I was not so sure about particularly those to St Andrews

This was before all seater stadiums when you often get over 70,000 at Villa Park for a local Derby, home and away supporters standing side by side - and no trouble whatsoever. Eric

IMGP3132.jpg
Hi,I hope it's ok putting these pics on this thread.These are clippings I have inherited from a relative and hoped they could have a new lease of life on the Forum.I know next to nothing about trams but love the backgrounds.

Back