• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Early Woolworths shops in Birmingham

The Hawthorn Road Kingstanding branch had wooden floors too (probably parquet). The date of the branch wouldn't have been before the 1930s as it was part of a 1930s shopping parade. I remember it had counters with a frame above them to hold more stock, although I think by the 1960s, that had all gone. I remember them selling certain non-perishable food priducts like jam, sugar and tea. There wasn't any stacking of items as I recall, it was all out on counters at waist height, with glass dividers between items. It was a place to browse, especially at Christmas. And it was a double shop frontage, so plenty of space. Sometimes Mum bought Ladybird clothes for us from there, in particular I remember a grey pleated school skirt and a pale blue mohair cardigan.

i loved the hawthorn road woolies viv and was using it right up until it closed a few years back...it is now a heron shop

lyn

Back