• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dorrington Road School

SLM

I went to Dorrington Road Sch until 1968.
I remember my first class teacher was Mrs Whitehouse.
I also remember someone in my class having a ballet accident and then returning to school in a wheelchair as she must have had spinal cord damage as she never walked again.
I remember the teacher in Yr 6 who used to have metal discs about 3” diameter which he would skim across the desks every time someone answered a correct question. We had 4 teams and at the end of each week the team with the most ‘discs’ all had sweets. Amazing teacher and he got me successfully through my 11 plus.
Anyone remember him or his name?
Very fond memories of this school.

I lived on Dorrington Road - was born 1969 and went to the infant school until, I think, 1975 as my parents divorced and we had to sell the house … I can’t remember teachers names but there was a lovely lady - Sheila Guy - think she was the equivalent of a teaching assistant these days - she was fabulous and her hysvsnd was my godfather - I remember getting upset one time in class as I shouted ‘hello Aunty Sheila!’ and she promptly came and told rme I couldn’t call her that(!). I was mortified. There was a little girl across the road called Claire - I was Debbi Palmer and I had to fetch the cocoa container every morning from the school office and bring it back to class(!) - I lived Mr & Mrs Morton at the shop and always made mum by me Campbells Meat balls(!). There was a fruit a veg shop too I remember xxx

Another thread on sane topic

I went to Dorrington Road Infants & then Juniors I was born in 1944 so I must have been there from 1949 until around 1955 when I went to Beeches. I can remember Miss Jones, Mr Smith & Mr Aspinall the Head. He would play us classical music in the hall and explain the story. I remember Peter and the wolf very well. Mr Fox (pronounced Fough) , was a nice chap, his daughter was there in a younger class then me. I can't remember any of the other teachers names now. I was friends with Jean Warrillow then and all through this school and later, although we went to different senior schools. I also remember June, she would tell us that she was adopted, a very pretty little girl blond hair and blue eyes. not at all procious. She had the most wonderful dresses that her mother made for her, beautiful materials and colours. I was very envious being very plain over tall and wearing NHS specs. I stole her hair clip, well she knew that I had it as she gave it me to look at, and I kept it. I remember it so well a tiny little bright red sun hat with flowers on the side. I had to explain to my own mother that I 'found' it in the garden. 70 years ago & I still am ashamed.
Avril.

Last edited:
I recall they ran a Sea Cadet unit, TS Leppard from Dorrington Road in the late 60’s.

Back