• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Did You Have a Paper Round ?

My Father ran a newsagent's in Woodcote Road, employing several 'newspaper boys' (I don't recall there ever being a 'newspaper girl'). If any of them didn't turn up, guess who got to deliver the 'papers! I remember the massive ledger for all of the customers that paid weekly. Each customer had a page of little tear off tickets and each ticket had to be initialed and given to the customer when they settled their weekly account. Once a year the ledger was dismantled and a new page of tickets inserted for each customer. It was a right faff!

My Father ran a newsagent's in Woodcote Road, employing several 'newspaper boys' (I don't recall there ever being a 'newspaper girl'). If any of them didn't turn up, guess who got to deliver the 'papers! I remember the massive ledger for all of the customers that paid weekly. Each customer had a page of little tear off tickets and each ticket had to be initialed and given to the customer when they settled their weekly account. Once a year the ledger was dismantled and a new page of tickets inserted for each customer. It was a right faff!
Bang on thats how i recall it

Back