• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

defford road

Hello, I lived in the house attached to the sweet shop, it was number 31 I have the rent book in front of me, my dad kept the rent books from all the houses we lived in. I think we lived there from 1954 and I know we left 28.12.57, when we lived there the street was lovely. The shop on the opposite corner was a greengrocers.....Harry Forrester was the man who owned it, facing his shop was a grocery shop Price's. Hope this helps you work out the house numbers? regards Margaret Anderson

gosh my mom used to place regular orders with harry forrester my dad was the barber opposite burbury park

hi all. just aquired these 6 photos of defford road which was alongside burbury st park. apart from keith acton i hope they may bring back some memories for some of you. wales. ps hope your house is here keith.
Defford road was Lozelles not Newtown

I would really appreciate some help in finding the proprieters of the follwing shops.

Picture 3 on post # 2 shows a shop on the bend in Defford Road. There was several owners of that shop throughout the 60's can anyone please tell me who they were?

Also, there was a newsagents/tobaconist that I delivered papers for in the 60's owned by two lovely spinster sisters that I have forgotten their names. Their shop was in Burbury Street, opposite the entrance to the park ( see photograph below). Can anyone remind me of their names please?

Mabz

Last edited:
I think the barbers opposite burbury st park .Could have been my first one .Used to be the bowl .Lived bottom of angelsey st. My mum would drop me and my brother of tell him short back and sides.If we had anything different she would march us back down and tell the barber short back and sides.One of the shops opposite the park .Was run by the adams family .Larry adams went to harry lucas school

I think the barbers opposite burbury st park .Could have been my first one .Used to be the bowl .Lived bottom of angelsey st. My mum would drop me and my brother of tell him short back and sides.If we had anything different she would march us back down and tell the barber short back and sides.One of the shops opposite the park .Was run by the adams family .Larry adams went to harry lucas school

Spud - I remember Adam's sweet shop and if my memory serves me right Larry was a robust sort of chap? Mabz

Last edited:
my dads barbers shop was on the corner of defford road Opposite that was a mrs taylor who had a haberdashery shop she was also a dress maker I cant remember it being anything else I remeber the adams who ran the sweet shop They were both very robust lol so much o that I recall Mrs adams being stuck in the bath and some neighbours were called to help get her out

Oh the indignity Kate.............

Does any know the names of the lovely old ladies that owned the paper/tobacconist shop next to Adam's Sweet shop? Mabz

Pam - your grandparents house is shown on the second photograph on #1 behind the wall (it is the second bay window).

Photograph one shows in the distance the entrance to Severn Grove with your grandparents house being the first house on the left. Mabz

Back