• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer help please.

I'm not entirely clear whether the Outlook problem is happening on your Apple devices or on a Microsoft Windows device you have. I have solved some problems on my iPhone/iPad devices by doing a full shut down rather than the usual 'Sleep' mode. I have also occasionally had to uninstall an app then shutdown and reinstall it.

I suppose running Microsoft's Outlook on an Apple device does occasionally throw up incompatibility problems. Unfortunately there are not many Windows tablets available apart from the very expensive Microsoft Surface tablets which should be able to run Outlook perfectly.

I'm not entirely clear whether the Outlook problem is happening on your Apple devices or on a Microsoft Windows device you have. I have solved some problems on my iPhone/iPad devices by doing a full shut down rather than the usual 'Sleep' mode. I have also occasionally had to uninstall an app then shutdown and reinstall it.

I suppose running Microsoft's Outlook on an Apple device does occasionally throw up incompatibility problems. Unfortunately there are not many Windows tablets available apart from the very expensive Microsoft Surface tablets which should be able to run Outlook perfectly.
Running Outlook on a Lenovo with Windows 10.

Email problems are sometimes the hardest to solve and if it is an Outlook yearly subscription it might be worth trying to get help over the phone from Microsoft.

does win 10 have realtek lan drivers? i cant get it to find my router ethernet driver.
Using my Acer computer which is ethernet connected to the router, Settings shows the following so it is realtek.
Use 'Device Manager' to find the network adaptor and it's driver.
adaptor.jpg

Last edited:
Yes an uninstall - then off/on usually allows the computer to find and install the driver. Does the status show Operational as in post#66.

Email problems are sometimes the hardest to solve and if it is an Outlook yearly subscription it might be worth trying to get help over the phone from Microsoft.
oldMohawk, so I learned a lesson today! (the software is not on a subscription) The lesson when you back up Outlook and want your contact list the procedure is slightly different as the contacts are in pst files. And as I found out today will need to be more careful as I back up!
Thanks for the help & guidance!

Yes an uninstall - then off/on usually allows the computer to find and install the driver. Does the status show Operational as in post#66.
Yes an uninstall - then off/on might do it. i will have a go later in case i nager it up altogether.lol

I have a problem on my Microsoft Works software. Works Spread Sheet and Works Data Base function OK but Word Processor goes to 'My Documents' OK but I cannot open file, it also shows file under a Paint emblem and not a works emblem. Have attached pic of what it says after clicking on file. Any suggestions. I have tried re installing CD but no different. EricScreenshot (257).png

Try RIGHT clicking on the file, select OPEN WITH from the drop-down menu, then the the program you want to open it with.

On the face of it, it looks like the file association is corrupted. What version of windows are you using Eric

Morturn. Windows 10. The Works 9 software was kindly sent to me by a member some years ago and I find the word processor very useful, letters etc...

Lumphammer. Thanks a lot, it worked the way you suggested, I right clicked and opened with' Works word processor' and it opened the file. Thanks again. Eric

Pete, it would be hard to explain how to do this here but putting a new solid-state drive (SSD) in an older laptop can give it a new lease of life.

This site can scan your old laptop and give you a compatible upgraded SSD.

You may need a bit of technical know-how, but it’s not too hard.

There are other sites that can scan for upgrades too, but can be a bit geekey. Please bear in mind, I am not a computer techie so you do an upgrade and are not sure. Take some pro advice.

Pete, it would be hard to explain how to do this here but putting a new solid-state drive (SSD) in an older laptop can give it a new lease of life.

This site can scan your old laptop and give you a compatible upgraded SSD.

You may need a bit of technical know-how, but it’s not too hard.

There are other sites that can scan for upgrades too, but can be a bit geekey. Please bear in mind, I am not a computer techie so you do an upgrade and are not sure. Take some pro advice.
thanks mort i put a new power supply in my desk top last week,after the strike and a hard drive, it works great now.but the drive is a bit small and slow. will one go in there ?........the laptop is dead. i dont think i will get another, i will get a refund on the new one.i bought.

Yes indeed, I put two in my desktop PC, one to keep windows 10 operating system on and one for a scratch dive for when I do photo and video editing.

Again that link will tell you what SSD will fit your PC

If you want to put an SSD in place of a hard disk in a desktop PC here is some info.

SSDs are more expensive per GB than a hard disk. So a 1TB desktop hard disk may cost you only around £35 but a 1TB SSD may cost you around £100 (prices do vary across brands of course).

However SSDs have no moving parts and are faster than hard disks so it is an excellent upgrade to do. Maybe buy a 240GB SSD (roughly £30 or £40) to hold Windows (for the speed) and use a "normal" hard disk to hold your personal files.

Hard disks in desktop PCs are 3.5 inch (physical size) but SSDs are 2.5 inch (physical size). This means the same SSD can go inside a laptop as can go in a desktop PC.

However the bay or slot that holds the hard disk in a desktop PC is 3.5 inch in size so to fit a 2.5 inch SSD you normally need to buy a small bracket to fit on the SSD so it fits inside the 3.5 inch desktop "slot". Plenty of these available on ebay or Amazon.

Note the cable connections to an SSD are the same (SATA power cable and SATA data cable) as a "normal" desktop hard disk.

If you have two hard disk slots or bays in your desktop PC you can put the hard disk in one and the SSD in the other then use some software to copy or clone Windows 10 and all the files on the hard disk to the SSD. This is not difficult to do but does require some technical knowledge.

The other option is to put the SSD in the PC and do a clean Windows install (which may be a better option).

Below is a photo I have just taken that may help. I have placed a 50p coin in the photo to give an idea of scale.

It shows a full size 3.5 inch desktop hard disk on the left

It shows an SSD in the centre as you may buy it. As you can see it is much "thinner" (width) than a 3.5 inch hard disk

On the right it shows an SSD fitted inside the bracket you need to buy to make the SSD fit inside the 3.5 inch slot (there are numerous types of brackets). As you can see, with the bracket on the SSD it is now the same "width" as a 3.5 inch hard disk so will fit in the slot.

Hard Disks.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Crucial SSD for my last desktop, it came with the necessary adaptor for 3.5 to 2.5 .

That computer died so I have the SSD sitting on the shelf doing nowt at the moment, intended to put it in my HP replacement but there isn't room for a second drive and the 500Gb HDD in there has all my stuff on it so too much hassle to move it over.

I think I can use the SSD as a USB store for recording from my television.......... maybe. :(

I bought a Crucial SSD for my last desktop, it came with the necessary adaptor for 3.5 to 2.5 .

That computer died so I have the SSD sitting on the shelf doing nowt at the moment, intended to put it in my HP replacement but there isn't room for a second drive and the 500Gb HDD in there has all my stuff on it so too much hassle to move it over.

I think I can use the SSD as a USB store for recording from my television.......... maybe. :(

It can, you can get a housing off Amazon for it. Do bear in mind SSD’s do not like being disconnected. You have to power the device they are connected to down first. If you plug on into your computer, make sure you eject the drive first too.

Eric/Morturn, you would record right off your TV onto the hard drive? I have a 2TB portable hard drive that I am not using much of, I could/can I use that?

I do understand it can be done but, in all honesty, I have never recorded from a TV to Hard Drive

It can, you can get a housing off Amazon for it. Do bear in mind SSD’s do not like being disconnected. You have to power the device they are connected to down first. If you plug on into your computer, make sure you eject the drive first too.
thanks for that warning.

I've recorded from the TV to a 32Gb Flash Drive but the problem is the TV had to on receiving the program I was recording. I did it to see if I could do it ..

If anyone wants to regularly record TV programs the best solution is to use a Personal Video Recorder (PVR). It can record a program when you are watching something else. It can record two different programs simultaneously. It also records when I'm out.

I have an 8 year old Humax 500Gb full of recordings (including 25 episodes Fools & Horses) but my main use is to record something one day and watch it a few days later. There is a button on the remote to jump over bits you don't want to watch, rewinds, fast-forward, etc.

I think some TVs these days might have PVRs built-in.

I've recorded from the TV to a 32Gb Flash Drive but the problem is the TV had to on receiving the program I was recording. I did it to see if I could do it ..

If anyone wants to regularly record TV programs the best solution is to use a Personal Video Recorder (PVR). It can record a program when you are watching something else. It can record two different programs simultaneously. It also records when I'm out.

I have an 8 year old Humax 500Gb full of recordings (including 25 episodes Fools & Horses) but my main use is to record something one day and watch it a few days later. There is a button on the remote to jump over bits you don't want to watch, rewinds, fast-forward, etc.

I think some TVs these days might have PVRs built-in.
great... is your tv monitor as clear as a pc monitor. i use a pc monitor on my sat box it seems a better quality. picture or is it me lol

Back