• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

People strolling, many sitting on the benches, a peaceful scene near St Philips looking towards Snow Hill Station. c1946.

Near St Philips 1946.JPG

Two lovely photos Stitcher and Oldmohawk. Stitcher's photo gives an unusual view of the Market Hal, to the right and Burton's Tailors to the left. I like Oldmohawk's photo because it makes St Phillip's look like it had a mini boulevard! Anyone know what the row of stone features are near to the boy? Viv.

really do like all the pics of St. Phillips because they always have an air of peace and tranquility.

Anyone know what the row of stone features are near to the boy? Viv.
Hi Viv,
I wondered about those stone features but have no idea about their purpose. Here is another photo of Temple Row same year. I like this photo because on the corner of Cherry Street I can see the Model Aerodrome shop from where I bought my balsa wood and kits for model aeroplanes - brings back a few memories.
oldmohawk
Temple Row 1946.JPG

Concerning the stonework ground feature around St Phillips Cathedral I think they would have been the bases for the uprights for the wrought iron fencing that once surrounded the church.

Phil

Attachments

• City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 43
Concerning my last post, here is a better photo of the fencing with it's upright supports fixed to the stonework blocks. I think the fencing was removed during the war and I suppose it was never replaced.

Attachments

• City Colmore Row Bluecoat Charity School opened 1724 closed 1930 (p1890).jpg
    City Colmore Row Bluecoat Charity School opened 1724 closed 1930 (p1890).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 38
Hi OldMohawk,

the picture of Temple Row brought back memories for me, too. I used to hang around the Model Aerodrome most Saturdays and the occasional afternoon during the school holidays. Model flying is in my blood, and I'm off flying this afternoon, the third time this week! Great being retired!

G

Does anybody know what that horrible hole in the ground in Stitchers last photo was all about, I just can't see any sense in it.

A few people have said they like my "before and after" photos.

Here are a couple more.

Looking over the canal from Sheepcote St in the late 1980s (they have already started building the ICC)

View20Pic1.jpg

Same view today (2010)

View20Pic3.jpg

It's quarter to four the scene seems peaceful in the afternoon sun. The parking looks easy with so few cars in the postwar 1940's and a nice spare wheel on the car in view. All structures in the photo are stone except for the square brick-built block on the pavement, although they darkened the corner bricks for some decoration maybe....
Museum and Art Gallery postwar 1940s.JPG

True but some are poorly identified Carolina and I failed to see how you could offer up corrections.

Bernie I have to agree to that and some we have seen before on here. I cant get on with the new way that FR is run I prefer the older way.

It's quarter to four the scene seems peaceful in the afternoon sun. The parking looks easy with so few cars in the postwar 1940's and a nice spare wheel on the car in view. All structures in the photo are stone except for the square brick-built block on the pavement, although they darkened the corner bricks for some decoration maybe....
View attachment 79716
you sound like Francis Albert, its a quarter to three, theres no one in the place except you and me, Bernard

Hi Bernard - I wondered about that as I pressed the submit button. I've just had a look round the area with Google's street view and even the trees in the old black and white photos and in your photo look better !
oldmohawk

Another before and after.

Taken in the mid 1980s looking towards Sheepcote Street and Five Ways with what will become Brindley Place on my left.

View29Picture2.jpg

Taken in 2011

View29Picture3.jpg

Another "before and after" from Broad St. The first is from November 1986, the second from 2010.

Site of Brindley Place and Convention Centre on Broad Street. Look at that stunning brewery on the right.

Amazing to think that was still in the centre of Birmingham, on Broad St, in the mid 1980s.

Not a soul about in the first picture, on what was a sunny Sunday.

View2Picture1.jpg

Same view in 2010.

View2Picture4.jpg

As I had business down the jewelry quarter today, I had a walkabout and took a few photos, sorry if any have been on lately.20120726_143.jpg20120726_142.jpg20120726_139.jpg

A 20120726_116.jpgfew more

Attachments

• 20120726_128.jpg
    20120726_128.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 40
  • 20120726_129.jpg
    20120726_129.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 39
  • 20120726_120.jpg
    20120726_120.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 38
  • 20120726_121.jpg
    20120726_121.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 40
Guilbert53 post 966, see they can restore buildings if they put their mind to it. The only brewery I knew in the city centre was Davenports "Beer ar home" brewery, although Holts brewery was fairly close to the city centre (by the main fire station) I cannot place that one in Broad St, what brewery was that ??? Eric

Cookie, I think it was the Crown Brewery in the early 1900s which I presume is somewhere around where the Crown Pub on Broad Street is

Guilbert53 post 966, see they can restore buildings if they put their mind to it. The only brewery I knew in the city centre was Davenports "Beer ar home" brewery, although Holts brewery was fairly close to the city centre (by the main fire station) I cannot place that one in Broad St, what brewery was that ??? Eric

Amazing thing is that when I took that picture in the mid 1980s I was no great fan of buildings and to be honest did not even notice that brewery, it was only in the picture by "accident". I certainly took no other pictures of it.

It was only when I dug out those pictures a couple of years ago (when I had more interest in buildings) that I really noticed it in the picture and though "look at that".

How I wish I had to taken more pictures of it at the time... you dont know what you've got till ts gone.

It was behind the Crown Inn on Broad St. I know little about it but a search on the web indicates it was Butler's Crown Brewery.

Then it became Mitchell and Butlers before moving to Cape Hill.

You can read a little about it here (see text at top)

https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/breweries/mitchellsandbutlers/history.htm

There is a topic for the Crown Inn on BHS here

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=26143

Thanks for the photos Astonite, I was in Birmingham yesterday and it's a bit of a shambles because of the closing of Corporation Street to traffic.
Even some of the bus drivers didn't know which way to go (the passengers were directing)!

Back