• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

As far as I can make out, 370 #1 is Snow Hill, 371 #2 is Station St & #3 is New Meeting St.

Phil

Thanks again Phil - I could not think what the new build was - I should have known it was Rackhams.

Phil

Paradise Street - that was where I caught either the 12 or 22 bus to Bartley Green Grammar School after I first caught the 96 bus from Lodge Road - what a journey when I was only 11.

hi stitch
cracking picture it certainly holds a couple of memorys for me ; when i was a nipper we used to go up there on a friday night and saturday /and sunday
Nights at the bottom end of the street where the big wall that runs afew yards along the pavement facing thee town hall
and where the bus comes up from hill street we would be till late on hose nights guy fawling ; in those days of our old pennies
and half pennies we was not very old at the time but we certainly made a good few bob with all those pennys
our parents used to worry sick over us and go to keyon street nick and report us missing ;we was always told off by the station ;
my best friends was the memory brothers of stour street ladywood ; should anybody recall them ;
and later in years of growing up we was up there facing the town hall when paul jones of mannfred mann was making a film ; and he was on top of
the town hall reciteing his words and holding out a medalion he was in a robe ;of cours this was surposed to be part of the film . ie;
being the crowd chanting up to him and the producers asked every body to shout loud and jump up and down and they would film us all that being the crowd facing the town hall ; i cannot recall the years but if any body can recall the film i would most certainly like to know what it was called
it could be around 69-- 70 ish ; thanks for the pic; and the memory ; i know one of thebrothers tony ; got killed on his motor bike aged 16 years old later down waterry lane at the cross rd taking his girl friend home on the back of his bike is other brother joey ; i do not know whether he his still alive or passed over ;
i think tony got killed in 1961 [ many thanks again astonian;;

hi cAROLINA
many thanks for that info; firstly can you obtain that film from anywhere you think ;? AND SECONDLY ANY IDEA WHAT IT WAS ABOUT ;
THANKS VERY MUCH AGAIN CAROL ; I WILL TRY AND GET A COPY OF IT FROM SOME WHERE
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN

I am so glad that image sparked a little interest for Allen & Carolina, and thanks to you for giving the film details to Allen.

What really brilliant Photo Astonite, when blown up, a full 3D of a "split second", in early Edwardian Birmingham. I received my book to-day Stitcher "Birmingham,a sinister side", what a fantastic read.
paul

Lovely photograph Astonite ( No 901 ) must be around 1920s and what a quality camara that that person had.
ragga ...............

I can't remember which site it came from, but I was mesmerised by it, it is so evocative of the period, as you said Paul a 'split second' and as you say Ragga, what a quality camera it must have been.

I knew you would be impressed Paul, it is so interesting once you start to read it.

7589545626_16b4f54d0e_b (2).jpg7589553222_7e7cc732c8_b (2).jpg7588918722_bea118abf4_b (2).jpg

i must say these photos are only 28 years old but i partically like them for the bhf forum .
thank you Rostrance .............. ragga ..........

Great photos ragga and well worth posting. Good to see colour shots of Navigation Street with WM blue and cream painted Metrobus and Fleetline buses at work.

Absolutely great photos from everyone posting. On Ragga's 2nd photo in post # 906 I remember on that corner (station side) a bomb being either defused or being exploded under controlled conditions by the army. Must have been in the 1970s. I've not come across any mention of it on BHF, but I'm pretty certain it happened. Viv.

Ragga the 2nd photo is a view of my favorite night Club the old Whiskey a Go Go building, "nice one". Of course its no longer there now, knocked down for progress??
It was a landmark building that had a lot of Brumigume history of the 50's & 60's. I must have had history before these decades, but I know not what.

a1.jpg1971
The writing with this photo says it is the construction of the Inner Ring Road and in the background is the Exhibition Hall and ATV Studio, the hole to the front right is end of the Great Caharles Street tunnel.

Stitcher I'm no expert on these matters, but the hole doesn't look anywhere near big enough for the Great Charles Street Tunnel, besides if it is behind the new ATV studio it is in the wrong place. Anyway it looks like it is linked to a further hole that veers off to the left. They both look like exposed old railway tunnels to me, perhaps linking to five ways?

Hello Phil & Derek, it also says that the hole in the ground on the left is the New Street to Bristol railway line.

Stitcher it's as I always say never take for granted whay is printed with these photos, and Dek you are right, taking a second look at the photo I agree it is Holiday Street leading up to the corner of Bridge St so it would be much too far to the left to be part of the Great Charles St tunnel.

Back