• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre News Banner

in exile

knowlegable brummie
I seem to remember a news banner scrolling on a shop front or building in the City Centre, possibly at the Times Furniture end of New Street. It told everyone the latest news headlines etc.
This would have been in the late 60's / early 70's.

Does anyone else remember this, or is it a dream that has stuck in my mind for all these years?

Be gentle with me!

I used to see that many a time Postie.

News Theatre was just along from the Times building 'In Exile'.

Bernie

I seem to remember there was one on the corner of Corporation St and New Street, when the Post & Mail were based there in the 1940s & 50s. but maybe the old grey cells are playing up again.

I believe 'The Post and Mail' were based in Cannon Street before they moved - that is where my first wife worked? It was the Evening Despatch along Corporation Street surely?

I well remember the chaos when they were getting the papers out or lorries arrived with rolls of paper.

As a youngster my Mom sent me to get a paper whilst waiting for the bus outside W H Smiths. The paper seller asked me SpatcherMail? - yes please said I in my ignorance :(

Thanks for that, but I don't think it would have been Cannon Street.
I remember the cry of Spatchermail too.

1579041335_cd7115da2f.jpg

You ask you get.

Thank you - now, how about the winning lottery numbers for Saturday please?
Seriously, thank you. I am realy pleased I posted the original question now.
If anyone has anymore pictures I would love to see them

Back