• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chunk works Coventry Road

debbieironmonger

master brummie
Hi wonder if any of you can help me decipher the meaning of a description about my ancestors.
They were John Rhodes & co, Fire Ironmakers from Deritend and in a dissolution of partnership are described as 'Holding mill power at the Chunk Works, Coventry Road' and 'Holding mill power at the cotton mills, Fazeley Street. What does holding mill power actually mean? Anyone?

Hi wonder if any of you can help me decipher the meaning of a description about my ancestors.
They were John Rhodes & co, Fire Ironmakers from Deritend and in a dissolution of partnership are described as 'Holding mill power at the Chunk Works, Coventry Road' and 'Holding mill power at the cotton mills, Fazeley Street. What does holding mill power actually mean? Anyone?
It sounds like owning the capacity to power a milling machine. This might be some kind of water rights if water driven or steam engine to create steam to run mill. That's just my guess. Others might know better.

This is one of those questions that do get you both thinking and researching.

I have never heard of “holding mill power” however I do know that rights to water for driving water mills etc were guarded jealously and there a history of a lot of conflict around this.

This is one of those questions that do get you both thinking and researching.

I have never heard of “holding mill power” however I do know that rights to water for driving water mills etc were guarded jealously and there a history of a lot of conflict around this.
It might even mean holding a proportion of timed access to milling.

It might even mean holding a proportion of timed access to milling.
You may be right. I know of a canal water pumping station at Leawood Pump House in Derbyshire that had restricted pumping times because of the mills further downstream.

Article linked below suggests: Water mills also served to change the balance of power, both locally and nationally. On a local level, whoever operated and controlled the mill had the most power.

The reference to a cotton mill was interesting to me having worked in textiles 'up north'. Was the milled cotton being used locally? Read this morning the there was a textile mill in the village of Fazeley that was producing printed calico.

Some quotes about water management issues at Fazeley st from consultations in 2008 about the Warwick Bar.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 13
The reference to a cotton mill was interesting to me having worked in textiles 'up north'. Was the milled cotton being used locally? Read this morning the there was a textile mill in the village of Fazeley that was producing printed calico.

Some quotes about water management issues at Fazeley st from consultations in 2008 about the Warwick Bar.
I have a feeling that the mill building and the pond and mill races are still there

I have a feeling that the mill building and the pond and mill races are still there
Yes. it has , in at least part, been converted to flats

The following cutting from 1940 , to me, implies that the term did not necessarily
mean that a cotton mill was there, but that it was just a name.
cotton mill. Birm Gaz.. 13.3.1940.jpg

Charles Clifford's mill in c1889 is shown in red below

map c1889 showing charles clifford & Sons works.jpg

However the c1839 Wrightsons directory shows that the factory, smaller, was then owned by William Phipson', Beside this factory is Cotton Street. The Pigott Smith map of c 1824 also shows the same Cotton St. But not sure where the cotton st name came from.

map c1839 showing cotton st off fazeley st.jpg

The entire area around there seems to have been up for sale in 1825

Attachments

• Aris Birm Gaz.18.7.1925.jpg
    Aris Birm Gaz.18.7.1925.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 2
Just an idea, which I would like Tinpot's opinion on. AS there seems, as yet , to be no evidence of a real cotton mill that might give rise to
the name Cotton St, I was wondering if the name came from the use of its products. As I understand it, fibres, including cotton have to be carded to remove rubbish and align threads, this is done by running the raw material through rollers which are covered in pins. William Phipson was originally a pin maker, so could it be that a large proportion of his pins were aimed at the carding industry?

Just an idea, which I would like Tinpot's opinion on. AS there seems, as yet , to be no evidence of a real cotton mill that might give rise to
the name Cotton St, I was wondering if the name came from the use of its products. As I understand it, fibres, including cotton have to be carded to remove rubbish and align threads, this is done by running the raw material through rollers which are covered in pins. William Phipson was originally a pin maker, so could it be that a large proportion of his pins were aimed at the carding industry?
I knew I had read this somewhere about carding. So maybe. I have also thought about cotton and paper milling.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Tinpot. Was not aware of that. There are several mentions of Lewis Paul and his machine in the newspaper archives, though he did not seem to make any money from it, and I cannot find any connection to Fazeley St or Philpots.

According to the Birmingham Daily Post of August 1861 collections of Robert Cole FSA went under the hammer.

Compton and Arkwright little more the than plaglarists according to Lewis Paul !

4015C6BB-C1EE-4DA0-9AF0-E286D211A618.jpeg

Other references seem to agree that he preceded Arkwright with John Wynn but was not well supported. He later invented the carding machine

According to the Birmingham Daily Post of August 1861 collections of Robert Cole FSA went under the hammer.

Compton and Arkwright little more the than plaglarists according to Lewis Paul !

View attachment 161671

The Birmingham Gazette goes on to explain that it is perhaps a wide of the truth to say that Lewis Paul invented the machinery for spinning cotton as to claim that honour for Arkwright…The honour should go to John Wyatt of Birmingham…

C454301A-58B2-472B-9D2E-24DD28283882.jpegE16FE105-F783-4FBE-BB1A-D68A8FEAB54E.jpeg

Article linked below suggests: Water mills also served to change the balance of power, both locally and nationally. On a local level, whoever operated and controlled the mill had the most power.
Thank you for sharing that article, it explains why they would have needed to access the mill as they would have needed that power for forging metals. They were fire iron makers.

Back