• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christmas preparations past and present

Phonograph is a US/Canadian term used for such a device. With Woolworths being a Canadian and US company I am not surprised at the description.
The Woolworths advert is obviously from an American newspaper. Unlikely that a Woolworths in the UK would open on a Sunday back then.- 8 track tapes never really took off here in the UK - The mention of "Bank Americard" and "Kennedy Mall" also pin it down to the USA. The Kennedy Mall is a big shopping centre in Dubuque, Iowa. It had a big FW Woolworths store in it when it opened in 1970.

Last edited:
"Preparations for Christmas" In the 60s for me would be doing the Corgi Club Christmas quiz that arrived in comics in the week before Christmas. Here's the ones for 65 and 66...

Attachments

• Corgichristmasquiz.JPG
    Corgichristmasquiz.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Corgichristmasquiz66.JPG
    Corgichristmasquiz66.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 11
Never heard of 'good luck' mince pies. And the more currants the better - for health !!

Source : British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231222_175150_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222_175150_Chrome.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 7
Does anyone else do a written Christmas Eve and Christmas Day plan for food ? Or am a very sad person with too much time on my hands ?! It's the only way I can cope. I write-down cooking times for each food, what time it needs to go in the oven and anything special about it like resting times. I prefer to do this as it keeps me from going insane ! Doing mine as we speak.

Does anyone else do a written Christmas Eve and Christmas Day plan for food ? Or am a very sad person with too much time on my hands ?! It's the only way I can cope. I write-down cooking times for each food, what time it needs to go in the oven and anything special about it like resting times. I prefer to do this as it keeps me from going insane ! Doing mine as we speak.
Viv, you are not a sad person! We make multiple lists that constantly change :cool: . We make lists for each store. I’m not up on cooking times that is my wife’s part. She is baking now and just informed me that we a running out of eggs, so that was added to my Publix list. And milk for our tea just got added! I think normal might be a better description of you. Some of us just admit it.

I have endless lists from October to December Richard. We have several family birthdays and parties through those months which, on top of Christmas, can get very demanding, so lists have become a habit. And it's helped me no end.

'Publix' - I love their supermarkets. Spent many happy hours shopping with my son there, along with our number one favourite, Lowes hardware store. Publix reminds me of our Waitrose shops here in England.

The other plus side to lists (especially ones with food cooking times on them etc), is someone else can take it over, while I 'supervise' ....... hopefully.

I always did that. Lists are essential as are timings. I do lists for all special meals, whether for a large group of just the two of us. Having lists and timings allows this chef to drink fizz throughout the cooking process whilst still joining in with guests. I was trained to use timing lists at Birmingham College of Food in the 60s and have never forgotten the skill. Good planning is essential and stops stress and panic. Happy Christmas Everyone.
Carolann

If it works for you then why not. I burn ice cubes . I bet it tastes great Merry Christmas.

I have endless lists from October to December Richard. We have several family birthdays and parties through those months which, on top of Christmas, can get very demanding, so lists have become a habit. And it's helped me no end.

'Publix' - I love their supermarkets. Spent many happy hours shopping with my son there, along with our number one favourite, Lowes hardware store. Publix reminds me of our Waitrose shops here in England.

The other plus side to lists (especially ones with food cooking times on them etc), is someone else can take it over, while I 'supervise' ....... hopefully.
Right before Christmas we had a new hot water heater installed by Lowe’s! Ours is in the garage which is where I’m sure your sons is. The fellow was in and out in 30 mins, uneventful!

Back