• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories Of Trains

Ray T

master brummie
Hello, everybody,

Glad to be a new member here. This seems a good place to share my memories childhood trainspotting in Birmingham. Perhaps other "steam fanatics" will add their own recollections of certain places or locos.
I grew up in a back-to-back house in Long Street, Sparkbrook, and was a steam train fanatic from probably about 1958 when I would have been eight years old. I remember having the Hotspur comic with its regular tales of adventure on a railway somewhere up north. Every week I would read about a train robbery, a brake failure or a speeding train whose driver was unaware that a bridge up ahead had been brought down by bad weather. Sometimes the story might contain a combination of all three! It didn't matter to me the limited storylines available. Engrossed in the read, I was for the time being in another world, a world of steam and smoke.
My regular "pitch" for train spotting was below the rail bridge in Montpellier Street not far from my home. When not at school I could hear the approach of a steam train from inside the house, and that was when I'd snatch up a pen, notepad or a "ref" and run for the bridge, where I'd arrive in good time to get the engine's number as it came over. A "ref" was probably short for "reference book", and it was the soft-covered book most of us spotters had containing loco names, photos and some technical information. They cost 2-and-6-pence (half a crown) and a for a kid like me, with about 6-pence-a-week pocket money, they were treasured. Refs were issued for all the main regions: Great Western, London and North-Eastern, Southern, and London Midland and Scottish (LMS), which is the one I had for Montpellier Street. Later, I had enough money (ten shillings!) for a "combo", which was a "combined volume" containing all of the main rail regions in one and, like the "refs", published by Ian Allen.
Sometimes, I'd just stand for hours below the Montpellier Street bridge, occasionally in company with other spotters, most times not. From my spot and standing on my toes, I could just make out the old platform canopy of Camp Hill Station along from the bridge, abandoned since just after the war. It always reminded me of one of those stations in wild west movies for some reason. There are quite a number of old photos in online forums now showing the station in use from Edwardian times and abandoned as it was in the 50s. Some show the Montpellier Street bridge as seen from the platform, a view I never had. There was a water tower by the bridge and a water hose connected to it on the side nearest my spotting place. Sometimes a locomotive would stop on the bridge to stand beneath its smoke and to give off hissing steam as I'd look up to watch its crew flip open the cover on its tender and drop in the water hose. After quite a while, water would spill furiously over the tender as a sign of a full tank. Then the hose would be swung back and the train would be on its way.
Famous trains I recall as regulars to the Montpellier Street bridge were the Pines Express and the Cambrian Express, whose coaches all bore the name boards of identification. Lots of freight passed through too, and I remember watching the passage of fuel trucks that seemed so long I thought they'd never end until, eventually, the solitary guards van at the rear appeared and vanished. My most memorable moment below the bridge was in 1962 (I think that was the year) when as a twelve-year-old I watched as the "peg" (signal) dropped with its usual clunk and I waited to see what was on its way. Soon, there came steaming slowly towards Birmingham centre a beautifully clean "9F" resplendent in its black "blinkers" (smoke deflectors) and green livery. Then I saw the number on the front as being 92220, with the name "Evening Star" emblazoned in gold on a blinker and I couldn't believe it. To see such a loco on my little back street line was akin to seeing the Beatles play in Farm Park. I told my spotter friends later and at first they thought I was making it up, then one of the more savvy ones did some checking and found Evening Star really was in the area that time.
When not at Montpellier Street, I often sat on the bridge by Small Heath station collecting Great Western numbers from locos that sometimes thundered past hauling expresses. King George V was a very regular visitor, being easy to spot at a distance by the glint of "gold" from the brass bell on its front buffers, a memento of a trip it made to America. Other Great Western numbers could be had at Snow Hill Station, where we lads would often ask the drivers of some "Castle" or "Grange" if we could "cab" it and more often than not we'd be invited onto the footplate while the engine waited time before pulling out again. Always a thrilling experience, and not one likely to be allowed in these days of obsessive health and safety! Similar experiences were had at New Street Station, of course, where LMS held sway.
Ah, those heady days of iron giants belching smoke and letting off steam beside grubby platforms. When I think back to those days and find myself again beneath some darkened station canopy, I can still smell the oil and the sulphur. Bliss!

Regards to all, Ray.

Ray. Sorry to be picky but how did you see the Cambrian (Coast?) Express from Montpelier Street bridge as this was a Great Western Express. The Pines Express I understand.

I saw the up Cambrian Coast Express one day in Snow Hill double headed by two Kings and nobody believed me. Even recently I have been told that that would be impossible. However if Wolverhampton had a King that needed to reposition to Old Oak Common, what else would they do with it?

Hello, everybody,
Glad to be a new member here. This seems a good place to share my memories childhood trainspotting in Birmingham. Perhaps other "steam fanatics" will add their own recollections of certain places or locos.
Ah, those heady days of iron giants belching smoke and letting off steam beside grubby platforms. When I think back to those days and find myself again beneath some darkened station canopy, I can still smell the oil and the sulphur. Bliss!

Regards to all, Ray.
Hi Ray, Welcome to the forum, quite a few of us on here used and remember the steam trains ... I used New Street Station when it looked like the pic below ... the sense of excitement when I was young as a steam train pulled in ... I wasn't quite so excited when I used them during my National Service ...
new_st_steam.jpg

A couple of existing threads with memories in them ...
Pines Express 1950's
Tamworth field trainspotting ... I had a few Sundays there ..
oldmohawk ..:)

Ray. Sorry to be picky but how did you see the Cambrian (Coast?) Express from Montpelier Street bridge as this was a Great Western Express. The Pines Express I understand.

I saw the up Cambrian Coast Express one day in Snow Hill double headed by two Kings and nobody believed me. Even recently I have been told that that would be impossible. However if Wolverhampton had a King that needed to reposition to Old Oak Common, what else would they do with it?

Hello, David, no need to apologise for being "picky". You're surely right that the Cambrian Express was Great Western, so I must have confused it in with my other memories. I was sure I remembered seeing that name on the coach boards as they went over Montpellier Street, but most likely I must have seen them at Snow Hill Station. With the passage of so much time, memories remain but are often distorted. I'm happy you straightened that one out for me. Another express I remember was the Devonian, which again I'm sure I recall as a regular over the Montpellier Street bridge, but the name made me believe it had to be Great Western. However, I've just seen from the Pines Express thread here that the Devonian stopped at New Street, so most likely I did see it pass Camp Hill Station, after all.

Something else, I wrote in my post that the signals at Montpellier bridge dropped with a clunk at the approach of a train. But I think LMS raised a signal for the all clear, so the "clunk" I remembered was probably the noise made by the signal dropping to level after a train had passed. The noise for an LMS approach would have been the mechanical one made by the pull of the cable. I believe it was Great Western that used dropping signals to let a driver know he was all clear to proceed.

Regards, Ray.

Last edited:
Hi Ray, Welcome to the forum, quite a few of us on here used and remember the steam trains ... I used New Street Station when it looked like the pic below ... the sense of excitement when I was young as a steam train pulled in ... I wasn't quite so excited when I used them during my National Service ...
new_st_steam.jpg

A couple of existing threads with memories in them ...
Pines Express 1950's
Tamworth field trainspotting ... I had a few Sundays there ..
oldmohawk ..:)

Hello, OldMohawk, and thanks for the links and photo. I very much enjoyed the memories of the Pines Express shared by others. I think I visited Tamworth field the once, taken there by some older friends, and I remember spotting a resplendent red "Princess" class loco as something new to my collection. I'm pretty sure it was the Princess Elizabeth, but can't be certain after so long.

Regards, Ray

Last edited:
Just to add confusion to the subject, the GWR signals were known as lower quadrant because when they were in the 'off' position
they actually did drop to indicate a train approaching.

New Street was formed with two companies the Midland Railway and the LNWR, the former had upper quadrant but the LNWR
arrangement was for lower quadrant signalling.

Now whether both types of signal were in actual use at New Street i really don't know.

But there are a number of photographs taken in and around the Birmingham area showing LNWR trains with lower quadrant signals.

Where was 92220 shedded? I don't remember ever seeing it in the Birmingham area when i were a lad...

Where was 92220 shedded? I don't remember ever seeing it in the Birmingham area when i were a lad...

Hello, badpenny, checking online I see Evening Star was shedded at various places throughout her working life. Wikipedia informs she was at Cardiff Canton shed in 1960 and in 1962 was to be photographed at Gloucester Barnwood Shed yard. There is also a photograph online of the loco at Cardiff East Dock Shed in 1964, though I'm not sure if this isn't just another name for Canton or not. And I wouldn't be surprised if she spent time at Crewe Sheds, for instance.

Regards, Ray

Evening Everyone,
The Pines Express would come through Vauxhall Station and past Vauxhall Box at 12.35 lunchtime. It was often pulled by AJAX or a Black 5. I look back to those days and think what an honour it was to have pulled the levers to let the train through Vauxhall and given a clear road to New Street. I used to live in Cathcart Street and Arthur Standen lived across the street. He would say to me bring some eggs and bread and be ready when I knock the door. I would then go with him and do a full shift in Vauxhall Signal Box. The box was so clean you could have eaten off the floor.
Best wishes..Garden Gerald.

My memory is seeing the flying Scotsman racing down passing the monument lane shed sideings
And through monument road rail way station in the first two weeks of my friend and myself
Started to train spot after we had decided not to get bus numbers any more
I also got taken to the main train spotters sheds in crew that was a great big sheds
Where I actually seen the flying Scotsman again only this time it was not running anywhere
It was brilliant to walk along side of it on ground level and not be looking down from a platform
But as a kid my first excitement was seeing the royal mail train at the back of old news street
Around midnight it was being loaded up by dozens and dozens of mail bags
Midnight is when it was always being loaded especially at week ends
I was either coming from or going to the pink elephant club most late nights of the weeks
And there you could the very first Sunday mercury coming from London by train there was a chap
Whom received them of the train and he would flogg you one and I would walk home to mothers
Whom lived down the road at spring hill ,kingedwards road Ladywood
Best wishes Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,

I was born within the sound of GWR engine sounds and whistles. I had the fortune from the age of five to fifteen to to have a GWR line at the bottom of the back garden. On arrival in Devon I found I was just two miles from the GWR once again.

I was born within the sound of GWR engine sounds and whistles. I had the fortune from the age of five to fifteen to to have a GWR line at the bottom of the back garden. On arrival in Devon I found I was just two miles from the GWR once again.

Afternoon Everyone,
Where do Tyseley get the coal from. Anyone got the answer to my question please. The Brecon Railway in Wales
can only use coal imported from Russia. Not allowed to use Welsh coal anymore. Newport ( South Wales ) power station only uses coal from Russia. The experts tell us that we have enough coal in Britain to provide all power needs for 350 years. My wife and I had a run down to Brecon to have a ride on the railway and as we old boys do I had a chat with the driver and fireman and that is where I got this information from.
Take care..Garden Gerald.

The Devonian was an LMS/BR(Midland) inter-regional train. It ran from Bradford to Paignton.
Bradford to Bristol, as far as my memory serves, was on LMS/Midland region tracks thence on to the GWR/BR(Western) tracks to Paignton. When in the R.A.F., before I had a car, I often travelled from North Somerset to Paignton on this train enjoying afternoon tea as the train slowly climbed to Whiteball tunnel from Wellington.

The Flying Scotsman is both a train and a locomotive. The FS train ran from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and would not have passed through Birmingham. The route is what is called The East Coast Route. However the FS locomotive, in BR days, may have put in an appearance in Birmingham but was usually to be found on the East Coast runs.

What did run through Birmingham, I believe (not admitting to be an LMS afficionado), were trains called Royal Scot, Mid-day Scot, Coronation Scot and The Caledonian all of which went from London Euston to Glasgow on The West Coast Route. The locomotive City of Birmingham, which is in the Think Tank, would have been such a loco which hauled these trains.

Afternoon Everyone,
Where do Tyseley get the coal from. Anyone got the answer to my question please. The Brecon Railway in Wales
can only use coal imported from Russia. Not allowed to use Welsh coal anymore. Newport ( South Wales ) power station only uses coal from Russia. The experts tell us that we have enough coal in Britain to provide all power needs for 350 years. My wife and I had a run down to Brecon to have a ride on the railway and as we old boys do I had a chat with the driver and fireman and that is where I got this information from.
Take care..Garden Gerald.

Rather old news now but see this item from 2013
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...t/10057288/Coal-crisis-hits-steam-trains.html

Evening Everyone
Thank you for the link but I had read it before. The driver of the Brecon train told me that coal was available in Wales but they were not allowed to use it. Did you read today that 90 coal workers are to be laid of in Wales because no market can be found for Welsh coal. Very sad. I mentioned Newport Power Station because it closed down last year, all staff paid off and laid off. Within 5 weeks they had all been taken on again because of an error in the calculation of how much electricity Britain needs. I hope the excursions from Tyseley to West Wales continue to run, a great day out. The line from London to West Wales is now being wired up. It will not run past Swansea because the bridges are too small.
How many people remember the piece of music named Coronation Scot. The mail trains at New Street Station were a great site, all the mail from the Birmingham sorting office was moved in a tunnel linking the office to the platform.
This is a great site, it brings back so many wonderful memories.
Best wishes to everyone...GardenGerald.

Unfortunately Birmingham was never blessed with many named express trains either through New Street or Snow Hill.

I can only recall the following; The Inter City and Cambrian Coast Express at Snow Hill.

The Pines and The Midlander at New Street.

There were two other named trains which at various times worked at both but not at the same time, The Cornishman
and The Devonian.

Does anyone else remember any others?

The Inter City. Wasn't that one of the first ever named express trains running from Birmingham New Street to Broad Street in the City of London in 2 hours thus giving the name Inter City? My 1914 Bradshaw is in a bookcase where the lock seems to be jammed so I can't check it out at the moment.

The Inter City. Wasn't that one of the first ever named express trains running from Birmingham New Street to Broad Street in the City of London in 2 hours thus giving the name Inter City? My 1914 Bradshaw is in a bookcase where the lock seems to be jammed so I can't check it out at the moment.

Morning Everyone.
Was any train named from London to Curzon Street. Journey time I have just read was one hour and fifty minutes. Anyone remember the rope and capstan system used at Curzon Street to pull goods wagons across the road. Used to be a fish curing business in Princes Row, went in as herrings and came out as kippers. All the fish used came by train.
Take care...Garden Gerald.

Curzon Street was closed to regular passenger trains in 1854 although some specials may have run as late as 1893. This would have been before the naming of expresses.
One hour fifty minutes does not sound possible in 1850s as that is faster than 60MPH and equates to the times that Virgin was managing to achieve after they took over from BR and slowed the service down.

Curzon Street was closed to regular passenger trains in 1854 although some specials may have run as late as 1893. This would have been before the naming of expresses.
One hour fifty minutes does not sound possible in 1850s as that is faster than 60MPH and equates to the times that Virgin was managing to achieve after they took over from BR and slowed the service down.

Hello Everyone
I was, like you, surprised to see the time taken for the journey but it also noted some trains ran from Moore Street to London in just under 2 hours. I am interested in these figures because of the money we are spending to take trains back to the speeds they reached years ago. The London to Swansea line is such an example, the powers that be now admit that it will still be slower than the express steam trains. Extra electricity needs to be generated because of powers surges when electric trains move from stationery or climb inclines. Expensive to still be slower.
Best wishes...GardenGerald

Moor Street was not built until 1907 and was always a suburban station just serving the lines to Leamington and Stratford. It is only in modern times that Chiltern Railways have been running from Moor Street to London Marylebone and yes their fastest trains do do the journey in 1 hour 45 minutes with other trains taking just over 2 hours. Your reference to Curzon Street made me think that you are talking about historical times but the journey times you are quoting are more up to date times.

I never became a true train enthusiast but as a child our garden backed on to the North Warwickshire line and there was a bench at the top of the garden from which I could see the trains in the cutting below. There were allotments along the tops of the cuttings which gave legal access to the railway land. When I was older I would go to the bridge over Tyseley station and see the pannier tankers shunting, the prairie tankers pulling the local trains to Stratford and Lapworth. I had my Ian Allen ref. and recorded the engines I saw. I remember enormous excitement one evening when the Paddington train out of Snow Hill was pulled by the engine Sir James Milne, at 8 years old I didn't have a clue who this was but I gathered that this was a rare engine. My interest in railways was somewhat genetic as my grandfather worked in the signal department at Tyseley, one of his brothers drove the trains between Birmingham and South Wales via the North Warwicks line, Halls and Grange engines. Another brother and his son worked as plate layers. I used to get taken to the signal box at Bentley Heath which had a level crossing. When I was older we moved house and my new local railway became the New Street -Euston line at Lea Hall so I learnt about Scots and Blackies.
There was a programme on BBC4 last Tuesday "The trains that time forgot" about named trains including the Brighton Belle, The Cornish Riviera Express and The Flying Scotsman. Comparing the traditional service with the modern day equivalent. Presented by novelist Andrew Martin.
In 2000 I spent a day at Severn Valley Railway driving their 2-6-4 Standard Class tanker. What a birthday treat!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone
Great to see your memories devonjim. I Think all boys used to be very interested in steam trains but did not always admit it. In my last year at Loxton Street School the top class went to Derby Works for a day. Its a day I will never forget. To see whole engines, parts of engines, boilers, wheels and lots lots more was pure magic. Back at school the next day we had to answer lots of questions about the railways and one of my questions was about coal. In my answer I said it would be good to go down a coal mine. Mr Hall the teacher asked who would like to down a coal mine and 12 of us said yes please. Several weeks later on a Saturday he took us down Hampstead coal mine. Again it was a great day out.
I have always had a great interest in steam trains, living in Cathcart Street we had trains top and bottom of the street. Earlier I spoke about Curzon Street and fish curing, that business was owned by my Grandfather but sadly he did not see the end of the war and neither did my Grandmother. David Grain is right that in the early years of Curzon Street the London trains took about 5 hours but I have seen numerous accounts that by 1900 the time had been cut and was under 2 hours. I was not born then so do not recall this on a personal basis. Moor Street during the 40s and 50s was really interesting, you never knew what engines you would see there. I was sent, as part of my training to the Cornish Horticultural Research Station and would get on the Penzance train at Moor Street. 6 Hours later we would pass Marizion, the long beach round the curve and into Penzance.It was a great adventure to go so far on the train.
Best Wishes...Garden Gerald.

Last edited:
My first train journey all by myself was from Hall Green to Tyseley. It was a very short distance with only one stop in between, at Spring Road. I think that I was about 10-years old and it seemed very adventurous to do it alone. Like Devonjim I would train-spot from the Tyseley railway bridge. We had a neighbour who was a train-driver based at Tyseley, Bill Skinner. I remember that in the 1950s there was a fatality at Hall Green station. Someone who worked there had to count the number of wagons of a goods train passing through on the opposite track. He was apparently looking to the left and leaning over when he was struck by an incoming train, from Stratford, on the right. Sounds almost impossible but I am sure it's true. Dave.

Screenshot (78).jpg Another train related memory is the enormous shunting engine, similar to the painting, that worked at Bromford Bridge.

Last edited:
My first train journey all by myself was from Hall Green to Tyseley. It was a very short distance with only one stop in between, at Spring Road. I think that I was about 10-years old and it seemed very adventurous to do it alone. Like Devonjim I would train-spot from the Tyseley railway bridge. We had a neighbour who was a train-driver based at Tyseley, Bill Skinner. I remember that in the 1950s there was a fatality at Hall Green station. Someone who worked there had to count the number of wagons of a goods train passing through on the opposite track. He was apparently looking to the left and leaning over when he was struck by an incoming train, from Stratford, on the right. Sounds almost impossible but I am sure it's true. Dave.
Hi Dave,
You are right. There was a fatality at Hall Green Station but the victim was a lady and it was about 1965. It happened exactly the way you described. I know this because I dealt with it from the point of view of obtaining evidence for the coroner.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Back