• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chelmsley Wood.

Hi Has anyone got pictures of the garage at pine square now the KFC thanks
No photo, but a little history - in 1975/75 it was owned by United Motor Sales and managed by Dennis Bick. Also Corrida S/Stn at Stechford was under the same ownership/management.

pubs and clubs

The Banbury Club
The Conservative Club
The Trusty Servant
The Southern Cross
The Happy Trooper
The Greenwood
The Hiker
The Yeoman
The Aquarius
The Roundhouse
The Friendly
The Centurion
The Woodsman
The Local
The Kingfisher
Only 3 left. Greenwood, Kingfisher and Centurion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two enquiries that I am hoping the residents of Chelmsley Wood can help me with. Firstly, could anyone tell me the date that The Queen and Prince Philip came to officially open Chelmsley Shopping Centre ? Up in my loft I still have a few photos that I took that day, but in those days I never thought to put a date on the back. As you do (or dont). Secondly, our family moved on to Chelmsley as it was still being built, (in fact the buses only ran as far as Pine Square in them days), but in the early days there was set up, a very helpful organization called The Child Rescue Squad, to which I was an early member. Could someone tell me whether this organization still exists ? I still have my original I.D. card. Just a couple of things that came to mind for no reason at all, but I would be interested if anyone could help. Thanks in anticipation (because I know what we are all like on this forum). Barry.
Thanks for the quick reply Alberta. Now you mention it, I think you,re right about it being 1971, and in that case, I think it was before May, because during that month I went to work at Butlins in Minehead as I couldn,t find any other job at that time, so she might have been there just before then. Regarding the C.R.S., there definately was one set up, because as I say, I still have my I.D. card. It was started in the early days of Chelmsley, because the estate was getting that big, and there where that many young children starting to get lost on a regular basis, that some people got together and formed the organization. It was a very good idea at the time, but I suppose its not needed these days. Anyway, next time you pass the plaque, maybe you wouldnt mind having a look, and maybe post it here for me. I would be grateful. Many thanks, Barry.
The child rescue squad is it still going

Back