• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chelmsley Wood.

Alberta, I regularly walk my 2 dogs along side the River Cole and although no problem with bikes in the week (I'm retired), weekends, particularly Sundays they are a menace. The police had a purge a couple of years ago caught quite a few and crushed 17 bikes and there was a big improvement, but because of lack of continued activity by the police they have slowly crept back again although I don't see so many of the 3 and 4 wheeled variety. Eric

Eric that picture of the bridge is wonderful, when are you having your next exibition and if so where would it be...I am in awe of you, you have a wonderful talent there, and the park has so many things to paint. :)

loisand
Glad you like the painting. I was a prolific painter over the last 25 years and used to enter exhibitions all over the place including the mall gallery and Westminster in London, but mainly with The Birmingham Watercolour Society where I have been an elected member since 1989, but now because of my age (79 next month) I paint less and rarely enter exhibitions now. I have been invited to submit paintings for the Botanical Gardens Summer Exhibition next month (something I have done for years), still thinking about it. I have sold over 200 paintings, mainly through exhibitions plus a few commissions, unfortunately I never bothered to keep pictorial records until I bought a digital camera, consequently I only have about 60 to 70 photos of my sold paintings, although I have full written records, galleries, dates, exhibition, price etc... I still get a lot of pleasure painting though. I have taught water colour painting to small amateur societies but have recently stopped that now, age catches up with us all !!! Eric
I Have an Album on my Profile page of 50 plus paintings, if you haven't already seen them ?

loisand, have found another watercolour of Chelmsley for you, its walking my dog on a wet day through Alcott Wood C/W

Eric. Your paintings are fabulous. Wish I could do somrthing like that, but the only thing I can paint right, is the house ceilings or doors. Well done. Barry.

flounder. ( Wendy ). Only just noticed that you once lived in Peace Walk. So did I. In those days I still lived with my parents in No. 15. But I got married in 1974, and my better half and I moved to Kingshurst. Whereabouts in Peace Walk did you live ? Barry.

Eric at first sight we thought it was a photograph. One day I will give you all a laugh and put my one attempt of still life on.:D:D I kept it to prove to myself I can't paint. Jean.

Eric, your paintings are just so wonderful, and so accurate to the surroundings, I really do hold my hat up to you. I have a sneaky feeling that you and I had abit of a chinwag over Meriden Park about 18 months ago, it was a frosty morning and you had just come from underneath the bridge, and we spoke about carrying our digi camaras all the time in our pockets, you had the dogs with you!! :)

loisland, could well be, I meet and chat to so many people when I am walking my dogs which is 4 or 5 times a day every day regardless of weather, usually in vicinity of river Cole and Meriden Park (where I live), also Alcott Woods and occassionally Babs Mill/York Woods area ( especially blue bell time) and yes I always carry my digital camera plus a little sketch book. If the person you spoke to was wearing a tweed hat, glasses and moustache with a German Shepherd dog and cross Dhoberman then that was me I have attached a frosty morning picture of Meriden Park Lake which I might use to make a painting I took them last year, could be the day we met ??? Eric

We may also have met up Eric.
I lived in Conway road from 1970-1998 when we came across the road to Bacons End.
I lived in the 3 storey house facing the grove where you can see right down to the park,last time I was over there my old house was for sale.
Wonderful place for dog walking.
When we lived there we always had a Boxer and a Yorkie but we now have 2 yorkies.

loisand 2 more taken same time, one of the lake looking towards Chelmsley Rd and the other by river Cole with one of my dogs Anna, about 400 yards between each pic . Eric

Alberta, We probably have met, my late Wife and I moved here in 1987 to a 3 storey town house, my Wife died in 1998 so I have lived here by myself ever since, as you say ideal for dog walkers, I merely walk under an arch at the rear of my house and I am in the park. I like it here. Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely photos, can't wait to see the painting if you do one of them....I recognise your dog, so next time I walk past if you hear "Hello Eric" you will know who it is......yours truly :) :)

Bazzm, hi, i lived at no.20 Peace Walk from '74-'86, then moved back to 45 Peace Walk in '93 and left there in '96.

Wendy. Sorry for taking so long to get back, but Ive been very busy at work the last few days, but Im here now. Regarding Peace Walk, we moved into No. 15 in 1968, and at that time they where still building the houses opposite. That was as far as the construction had got at that time. I lived with my parents and my younger brother there until my (then) new wife and I moved to Kingshurst in 1975, then eventually here in 1977. So, if you where there between 1974-1986, I probably walked past you at some point. Sorry if I didnt say hello. Barry.

Lol, i apologise too, like to think my mom taught me a few manners as a child, we lived in the massionettes by the childrens stumps made of concrete and bars that you could swing from, cracked my head a couple of time on them lol Wendy

Hi I lived in Plane Grove in 1975.My son was born in Marston Green Maternity Hospital and what a great hospital it was.I knew a lady called Pat who lived in Peace Walk.

Hi Irene, I still live in Chelmsley Wood, have been here since July1987 in Conway Road by the sports centre and Meriden Park, by myself now since I lost my dear Wife in 1998, have 2 dogs whon I enjoy walking along side the River Cole, there is so many places you can walk dogs here, by the river, Alcott Woods, or if I'm really energetic to the airport and Sheldon Country Park, althought that is rare nowadays as the dogs are 12 years old and I'm 81 next month. Eric

When i first lived in Chelmsley the Town Centre was just a small wooded area and later a huge hole in the ground.
When we first got shops I remember shopping for groceries in Sainsburys(where the Market hall now stands) and a supermarket where B Wise was later situated,
I have been trying to recall the name I think it may have been Keymarkets,the supermarket then crossed the walkway to where Somerfield is now.

Hi Irene. Just noticed your post where you mention Peace Walk. We lived at No.15 from when it was built, for many years. Unfortunately I cant recall a Pat, and due to both my parents having passed on, I doubt if I can help. But what a small world eh ?

My husband and me have been debating this Robert,was it Finefayre first and became Keymarkets or vice versa.

News for all those who live or lived in Chelmsley Wood.

The regeneration of the Craig croft area, now called Chelmunds Cross is to have a road called Pomeroy Way in remembrance of
Our much loved doctor Richard Pomeroy R.I.P.

Thats a lovely, fitting tribute to a man who gave so much to Chelmsley, and the council is to be applauded for its decision. Dr.Pomeroy was a real gent, who was good at his job, and was always helpful & reliable to his patients. Thanks for the update Alberta.

When I moved here in 1968, Dr Pomeroy was situated in a house on Greenlands Road, I think No71? I think it was just him and a nurse/secretary.
He occupied the Dinette/Kitchen area and the waiting room was the Lounge. Was the upstairs used I wonder.

Back