• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Dickens - Christmas Carol

Dickens made more money from the public readings than he could from writing, even though he always made sure that seats were available at working-class prices. His reading tour of America from December 1867- April 1868 earned him £19,000 (near £1M today)

On his return to England, and with declining health, he began a farewell tour of Britain in October 1868. This tour included a new addition, a very passionate and dramatic performance of the murder of Nancy from Oliver Twist. Many believe that the energy expended in this performance, which he insisted on including even as his health worsened, hastened his early death in June, 1870. During the last 12 years of his life he apparently gave around 500 performances! He sadly wasn’t president of the Birmingham & Midland Institute very long.

I remember watching the great actor, Simon Callow, play Dickens giving the Public Readings in the BBC series “An Audience with Charles Dickens” in 1996 and was enraptured - BUT I can’t find it on “YuleTube” (thanks Thylacine for that one!), can anyone else or know if it has been released please? I’d dearly love to see it again.

Below is the letter from dickens accepting the Presidency of the Midland institute

dickens_letter_of_acceptance_for_Presidency.jpg

What a find! Thanks Mike. 23 Jan 1869. I am glad his books were not published in his handwriting though!

I'm afraid Aidan that it is a bit neater than my handwriting. The letter is from a book I recieved today titled "The Birmingham & Midland Instiute 1854-1954 by R.E.Waterhouse
Mike

That's great Mike. To me it's great to know that he had a special relationship with Birmingham. Sad though as he died 18 months later. Thanks. Viv.

Before the birth of the Midland Institute, Dickens had previously declared his support for earlier Birmingham Schemes. In Feb. 28th 1844 he presided over a Conversazione at the Town Hall in aid of the Polytechnic Society, which was an Institution aimed at providing instruction in various fields., but which did not last very long.. However it was later suggested that a new Institution might be formed , which later became the Midland Institute. The first public mention of this scheme was again by Dickens on a visit to Birmingham on Jan. 6th 1853. He attended a banquet held by the society of Artists at Dees’s Royal Hotel, where the “working men of Birmingham” presented him with a diamond ring and the “Iliad Salver”, manufactured by Elkingtons, which had been shown at the Great Exhibition. In his speech he gave a toast to the new institution that would become the Midland Institute, and before leaving suggested giving a reading of the Christmas Carol in aid of it. In a later letter he stated “ I would read the Christmas Carol next Christmas (we being, please God all alive and well)…I should like working folk to be admitted free. It was proposed that the readings should be performed on three nights. Dickens asked for a free night between the first and second readings “the exertion of reading in so large a place being very great” , so they took place on 27th, 29th & 20th December, on the last night all seats except the side galleries being at a fee of 6d to enable the working man to gain admittance. Slightly different from Dickens initial suggestion. He also differed with the organizing committee as to the readings, he suggesting “The Chimes” or “The Haunted Man” . which he thought most suitable for effect in a large venue such as the Town Hall . However the Committee, led by charles Tindall and with Arthur ryland as vice Chairman disagreed, and “The Cricket on the Hearth” was chosen, Dickens concurring. The last reading, with the reduced prices, was the most successful, and Dickens gave a speech encouraging the idea that “the working man shall, from the first to the last, have a share in the management of an institution….. which calls itself by his name” , These were the first readings which began new turn in Dickens’ career.
Mike

Before the birth of the Midland Institute, Dickens had previously declared his support for earlier Birmingham Schemes. In Feb. 28th 1844 he presided over a Conversazione at the Town Hall in aid of the Polytechnic Society, which was an Institution aimed at providing instruction in various fields., but which did not last very long.. However it was later suggested that a new Institution might be formed , which later became the Midland Institute. The first public mention of this scheme was again by Dickens on a visit to Birmingham on Jan. 6th 1853. He attended a banquet held by the society of Artists at Dees’s Royal Hotel, where the “working men of Birmingham” presented him with a diamond ring and the “Iliad Salver”, manufactured by Elkingtons, which had been shown at the Great Exhibition. In his speech he gave a toast to the new institution that would become the Midland Institute, and before leaving suggested giving a reading of the Christmas Carol in aid of it. In a later letter he stated “ I would read the Christmas Carol next Christmas (we being, please God all alive and well)…I should like working folk to be admitted free. It was proposed that the readings should be performed on three nights. Dickens asked for a free night between the first and second readings “the exertion of reading in so large a place being very great” , so they took place on 27th, 29th & 20th December, on the last night all seats except the side galleries being at a fee of 6d to enable the working man to gain admittance. Slightly different from Dickens initial suggestion. He also differed with the organizing committee as to the readings, he suggesting “The Chimes” or “The Haunted Man” . which he thought most suitable for effect in a large venue such as the Town Hall . However the Committee, led by charles Tindall and with Arthur ryland as vice Chairman disagreed, and “The Cricket on the Hearth” was chosen, Dickens concurring. The last reading, with the reduced prices, was the most successful, and Dickens gave a speech encouraging the idea that “the working man shall, from the first to the last, have a share in the management of an institution….. which calls itself by his name” , These were the first readings which began new turn in Dickens’ career.
Mike

To me, this thread just gets better and better....thanks mike.

That's interesting Mike. I've been trying to find out about the silver salver but had no joy. If it's Elkingtons it would have been electro plate and it's possible it would be like a much older version of the Wimbledon salver presented for the women's singles winner Might be able to find a pic by following up the Great Exhibition route. And nice to get a name (Iliad) too. So thanks for all of that. Viv.

Last edited:
That's great stuff again Mike.

I have not been able to find any pictures of the Iliad Salver yet but two more references to it and the events:

The latter adding details such as being on the occasion of the founding of the Guild of Literature & Art and that the ring & salver were placed on a Papier-mâché table and many more exquisite details

Thanks so much Aidan for those references. I've just read both, and I was transported there! He delivered a highly eloquent speech before one of the readings in which he visualises the new Institute as a "temple of concord" and "a model edifice for the rest of England" Lovely sentiments in a beautifully delivered speech.
Your 2nd link gives a fantastic description of the Elkington 'Iliad' salver, complete with details of the various scenes on the salver. It also describes the diamond ring as being made by Thomas Ashton, jeweller, Regent Place. The ring had an unusual pen feather design. Not only did Charles receive gifts from the grateful Birmingham folk, but so did Mrs C D (an
Elkington flower stand) and C D junior (a bronze inkwell). Thoroughly enjoyed these links, ones I shall return to again. Many thanks. Viv.

Thanks so much Aidan for those references. I've just read both, and I was transported there! He delivered a highly eloquent speech before one of the readings in which he visualises the new Institute as a "temple of concord" and "a model edifice for the rest of England" Lovely sentiments in a beautifully delivered speech.
Your 2nd link gives a fantastic description of the Elkington 'Iliad' salver, complete with details of the various scenes on the salver. It also describes the diamond ring as being made by Thomas Ashton, jeweller, Regent Place. The ring had an unusual pen feather design. Not only did Charles receive gifts from the grateful Birmingham folk, but so did Mrs C D (an
Elkington flower stand) and C D junior (a bronze inkwell). Thoroughly enjoyed these links, ones I shall return to again. Many thanks. Viv.

I am glad you enjoyed them Viv. Thought it might be a nice idea to reconstruct what the panels on the salver may have looked like (hope no homunculus thinks this is off topic, if so please delete)

Here is the middle panel - Jupiter and Thetis, 1811, by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres from the Musée Granet, Aix-en-Provence, France. "She sank to the ground beside him, put her left arm round his knees, raised her right hand to touch his chin, and so made her petition to the Royal Son of Cronos": Iliad

"The Abduction of Briseis from the Tent of Achilles" by yes you guessed it Joh. Heinrich d.Ä. Tischbein

I can't find any images representing Achilles driving the Trojans from their entrenchments by showing himself on the walls or The Greeks driven beyond their fortifications - can anyone else please?

Thanks Aidan. The paintings give a good idea of the complexity of the images on the salver. Must have been quite a complex process to prepare the original design. Had a look for the other images but no joy yet. Also looked for any references in the Great Exhibition catalogues, but the Elkington exhibits seem to be listed as general descriptions, not specific items. I found one interesting point in my search that shows there was a "Birmingham Nave" (at least at the re-built Sydenham Crystal Palace - not sure if this was so at the original exhibition) and there were a number of Elkington items displayed in the Nave and surrounding places. Would have loved to have been able to visit the Exhibition as I'm sure Birmingham craftsmanship would have made a significant contribution to the event. Viv.

Back