• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Dickens - Christmas Carol

Aidan

master brummie
At this time of year I tend to dig out my worn copy of Dickens' Christmas Carol and play my collection of Christmas Carol inspired films through the ages (or listen to audiobook). I came across this account of his visit to Birmingham to conduct his popular public readings (I replicate it as well as link but please edit if too much):

The first of the Readings generously given by Mr. Charles Dickens on behalf of the Birmingham and Midland Institute, took place on Tuesday evening, December 27, 1853, at the Birmingham Town Hall, where, notwithstanding the inclemency of the weather, nearly two thousand persons had assembled. The work selected was the CHRISTMAS CAROL. The high mimetic powers possessed by Mr. Dickens enabled him to personate with remarkable force the various characters of the story, and with admirable skill to pass rapidly from the hard, unbelieving Scrooge, to trusting and thankful Bob Cratchit, and from the genial fulness of Scrooge`s nephew, to the hideous mirth of the party assembled in Old Joe the Ragshopkeeper`s parlour. The reading occupied more than three hours, but so interested were the audience, that only one or two left the Hall previously to its termination, and the loud and frequent bursts of applause attested the successful discharge of the reader`s arduous task. On Thursday evening Mr. Dickens read THE CRICKET ON THE HEARTH. The Hall was again well ruled, and the tale, though deficient in the dramatic interest of the CAROL, was listened to with attention, and rewarded with repeated applause. On Friday evening, the CHRISTMAS CAROL was read a second time to a large assemblage of work-people, for whom, at Mr. Dickens`s special request, the major part of the vast edifice was reserved. Before commencing the tale, Mr. Dickens delivered the following brief address, almost every sentence of which was received with loudly expressed applause.

"MY GOOD FRIENDS, When I first imparted to the committee of the projected Institute my particular wish that on one of the evenings of my readings here the main body of my audience should be composed of working men and their families, I was animated by two desires; first, by the wish to have the great pleasure of meeting you face to face at this Christmas time, and accompany you myself through one of my little Christmas books; and second, by the wish to have an opportunity of stating publicly in your presence, and in the presence of the committee, my earnest hope that the Institute will, from the beginning, recognise one great principle strong in reason and justice which I believe to be essential to the very life of such an Institution. It is, that the working man shall, from the first unto the last, have a share in the management of an Institution which is designed for his benefit, and which calls itself by his name.

I have no fear here of being misunderstood of being supposed to mean too much in this. If there ever was a time when any one class could of itself do much for its own good, and for the welfare of society which I greatly doubt that time is unquestionably past. It is in the fusion of different classes, without confusion; in the bringing together of employers and employed; in the creating of a better common understanding among those whose interests are identical, who depend upon each other, who are vitally essential to each other, and who never can be in unnatural antagonism without deplorable results, that one of the chief principles of a Mechanics` Institution should consist. In this world a great deal of the bitterness among us arises from an imperfect understanding of one another. Erect in Birmingham a great Educational Institution, properly educational; educational of the feelings as well as of the reason; to which all orders of Birmingham men contribute; in which all orders of Birmingham men meet; wherein all orders of Birmingham men are faithfully represented and you will erect a Temple of Concord here which will be a model edifice to the whole of England.

Contemplating as I do the existence of the Artisans` Committee, which not long ago considered the establishment of the Institute so sensibly, and supported it so heartily, I earnestly entreat the gentlemen earnest I know in the good work, and who are now among us, by all means to avoid the great shortcoming of similar institutions; and in asking the working man for his confidence, to set him the great example and give him theirs in return. You will judge for yourselves if I promise too much for the working man, when I say that he will stand by such an enterprise with the utmost of his patience, his perseverance, sense, and support; that I am sure he will need no charitable aid or condescending patronage; but will readily and cheerfully pay for the advantages which it confers; that he will prepare himself in individual cases where he feels that the adverse circumstances around him have rendered it necessary; in a word, that he will feel his responsibility like an honest man, and will most honestly and manfully discharge it. I now proceed to the pleasant task to which I assure you I have looked forward for a long time."

At the close of the reading Mr. Dickens received a vote of thanks, and "three cheers, with three times three." As soon as the enthusiasm of the audience would allow him to speak, Mr. Dickens said:-

"You have heard so much of my voice since we met tonight, that I will only say, in acknowledgment of this affecting mark of your regard, that I am truly and sincerely interested in you; that any little service I have rendered to you I have freely rendered from my heart; that I hope to become an honorary member of your great Institution, and will meet you often there when it becomes practically useful; that I thank you most affectionately for this new mark of your sympathy and approval; and that I wish you many happy returns of this great birthday-time, and many prosperous years."

Last edited:
Forgot to say this was the FIRST time that Dickens had read his story in public, as reported by Daily News (London, England), Thursday, December 29, 1853; Issue 2374. The Brummie reception obviously spurred him on, isn't that heartwarming?

Thanks for that Aidan ... I enjoyed reading the whole of that page, most interesting!

If you are a fan of Dickens, I would recommend Dan Simmon's book ''Drood'' ... the story-line is fanciful in the extreme, but it nonetheless works. The novel is supposedly narrated by Wilkie Collins; and, whilst putting aside the 'plot', I found it to be a superb over-view of Dickens' life and works, including some of the best literary criticism I have ever read ... supplied via the words of a jealous, Wilkie Collins!

That's interesting Aidan. My ex OH insists that Charles Dickens visited the Woodman pub in Easy Row. Perhaps he's right, as it would have only been across the road from the town hall.

Stirling stuff Aidan. Loved it. I think I would have preferred to be there on that night even more than for Buddy Holly. Grateful thanks anyway for warming my Brummie cockles, just as Jack Frost tries his best to freeze them off... I watched Patrick Stewart's film of the same name last night, and although it was a poor effort (IMHO), the story always charges my Christmas spirit, and prepares me for the festive epiphany. "Deep and crisp and even" here in Yardley alright...

Thanks Dennis. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have been there on that night, perhaps our relatives were?

The BMI appears to be going strong still and has an interesting sounding library and societies meeting there https://www.bmi.org.uk/about.html

I also watched Capt Picard's 1999 attempt (3rd on list below) to film A Christmas Carol and actually think it is one of the better ones, although (like I am sure most people) I love the Alistair Sim 1951 version (Ist under Titles at https://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=A+Christmas+Carol ). I can't claim to watched all versions yet, but even the spin-offs like Bill Murray's Scrooged raise a tear with me

I wonder if Dickens localised the reading for his Birmingham audience?

For example, they would have been well aware (due to the City centre location if nothing else) of the Prison in Peck Lane near The Froggary (although being demolished for New St Station) and the Workhouse in Steelhouse Lane (although Dudley Rd had opened in 1852 the year before). The Exchange Buildings were not there until 1863 but maybe Scrooge could have been made to work at the Birmingham and Midland Bank in Union Street perhaps.

This is what I imagine when this scene come up:

"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge," said the gentleman, taking up a pen, "it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and Destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it."

"Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?"

"Nothing!" Scrooge replied.

"You wish to be anonymous?"

"I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population....."

Last edited:
I thank you for this thread Aiden "A Christmas Carol" it is one of the most remarkable and edifying pieces of literature ever written, it has been my favorite since a child, and I do enjoy it every year especially the 1951 film with Alistair Sim as the old miser scrooge. I do take this oppertune moment to wish all a very merry Christmas and Healthy New Year,"God bless us everyone".
very warmest of regards
paul stacey

Thanks Paul & Thylacine - I think a Christmas Carol captures Dickens at his zenith, with captivating story and characters, not overly long (as it was published as a book rather than the usual 1d magazine instalment), "flowery" or mawkish in a way that his later Christmas Stories were. He completed it in Dec 1843, ten years before the Birmingham reading, when Prince Albert had introduced the Christmas tree in 1841 and the first Christmas card was sent in 1843.

His Birmingham reading in 1853 raised £227 towards the building of the new (2nd) Birmingham & Midland Institute in Ratcliffe Place (visible in the left of the image). The Institute's first home began in Cannon Street in 1813. The first public museum was opened in this BMI building in January 1860. Birmingham Town Council bought the undeveloped half of the building, used the same exterior facade and remodelled the interior to construct the Municipal library (opened 1866, out of sight, behind the Town Hall) which unfortunately burnt down during the building of an extension in 1879. The BMI stayed at this site until the area was redeveloped in 1965, they then moved to their gloriously Arts & Crafts building (3rd) in Margaret Street.

I am not sure how many readings Dickens gave in Birmingham - I think he gave at least one more in 1866 - but, amazingly I think, he became the 16th President of the Birmingham & Midland Institute in 1869. "I bear an old love towards Birmingham and Birmingham men" he claims in a rather windy inaugural address, quickly adding his small omission, "and Birmingham women" (read the full text inc his Birmingham Aladdin's Ring <!> at https://www.classicauthors.net/dickens/speeches/speeches42.html ). Feeling all warm again.....

Last edited:
Aidan, many thanks for the link to Charles Dickens's "Birmingham Speech" of 27 September 1869. I read it from start to finish with great interest. I am in "Summer Holiday" mode, but cannot forbear from quoting from Dickens's reply to the vote of thanks:
Ladies and gentlemen, as I hope it is more than possible that I shall have the pleasure of meeting you again before Christmas is out, and shall have the great interest of seeing the faces and touching the hands of the successful competitors in your lists, I will not cast upon that anticipated meeting the terrible foreshadowing of dread which must inevitably result from a second speech. I thank you most heartily, and I most sincerely and fervently say to you, "Good night, and God bless you".

Although his speeches are a bit long-winded (pot-kettle there I feel....) there were always heart-felt and obviously received warmly.

That site also has a couple of other Dickens speeches while in Birmingham that may be of interest:
* 28 Feb 1844 - in aid of the funds of the Birmingham Polytechnic Institution, at which Mr Dickens also presided.
* On Thursday, January 6, 1853, at the rooms of the Society of Artists, in Temple Row, Birmingham, a large company assembled to witness the presentation of a testimonial to Mr. Charles Dickens, consisting of a silver-gilt salver and a diamond ring. Mr. Dickens acknowledged the tribute, and the address which accompanied it.

The latter gift of the Diamond ring is obviously the "Aladdin Ring from Birmingham" that he mentioned in 1869 as he says on receiving it:

"You remember something, I daresay, of the old romantic stories of those charmed rings which would lose their brilliance when their wearer was in danger, or would press his finger reproachfully when he was going to do wrong. In the very improbable event of my being in the least danger of deserting the principles which have won me these tokens, I am sure the diamond in that ring would assume a clouded aspect to my faithless eye, and would, I know, squeeze a throb of pain out of my treacherous heart. But I have not the least misgiving on that point; and, in this confident expectation, I shall remove my own old diamond ring from my left hand, and in future wear the Birmingham ring on my right, where its grasp will keep me in mind of the good friends I have here, and in vivid remembrance of this happy hour."

His allusion to Aladdin and his magical belongings was obviously understood or at least understandable to the audience as Pantomime was by all accounts already established with its traditions and conventions by the early 1800s, Aladdin being a popular title

I really do think it amazing that Dickens had so much to do with Birmingham and obviously loved it, as I had previously assumed he was mainly London based.

Last edited:
Yes. He seemed to be everywhere. When in Salisbury for a bit of R&R last Summer, there were pubs every ten yards extolling the fact that CD used to frequent them. He must have travelled a great deal in times when travel was...well a bit like just now...difficult...

Is there any modern writer that can even approach his brilliance with our language I wonder? I am always humbled by his prose, especially at this time of the year, naturally. And I too Aidan, never knew of his fondness for Brummies and Brummagem. What a man. Thanks for these treasured mementoes and snippets from his travelogue. I think I like him even more now I know he was a Brummophile.

Thanks Dennis, it is remarkable the number of places that CD is reputed to have stayed at but it is a real eye-opener that he held Brumagems in such high regard. Consider this passage from his address for the Polytechnic:

"I found that strong belief upon the splendid array of grace and beauty by which I am surrounded, and which, if it only had onehundredth part of the effect upon others it has upon me, could do anything it pleased with anything and anybody. I found my strong conviction, in the second place, upon the public spirit of the town of Birmingham upon the name and fame of its capitalists and working men; upon the greatness and importance of its merchants and manufacturers; upon its inventions, which are constantly in progress; upon the skill and intelligence of its artisans, which are daily developed; and the increasing knowledge of all portions of the community."

Lovely stuff. I thought he may have been talking about one of my old alma maters and was prepared to be shocked at his imaginativeness considering the carbuncle I remembered - but no, it was the first Polytechnic he was talking up, that only lasted 10years 1843-1853, whereas mine was the second a little later!

I have no idea where exactly the Birmingham Polytechnic Institution was located or the Society of Artists in Temple Row for that matter - can one of the forum experts help here I wonder please?

Do you know if he ever met the glitterati of the Lunar Society, and whether it was recorded in dispatches? Or do you think it was the disadvantaged he sought and gave most solace to? It sounded like he had real time for both, especially as the LS members were also great philanthropists like what he was. See I'm nearly up there with his elegance of prose.....

Pshaw Dennis!

The Lunar Society was the generation or two before Dickens and had died out before he was born. The Victorians really took philanthropy to the next level, hence such interest in the working man and woman for their education (eg Birmingham and Midland Institute, Polytechnic, etc) and elucidation (Art, literature, Christmas Readings).

Last edited:
Aha. You spotted my deliberate mistake then? Jolly good to see you are on your toes old sport. I was always brilliant at History. Got nine out of a hundred once for the Punic Wars. Sigh. All those dates and foreigners...

Really interesting thread especially linking to CD's view of B'ham people. If not already read, recommend Peter Ackroyd's biog of Dickens. Thoroughly enjoyable read.

If memory serves I think there was an evocative scene described of B'ham in Pickwick Papers, although I could be wrong. Problem is when you get the Dickens bug you end up reading everything you can get your hands on and mix up the details of each novel. Viv.

You are right there Viv. In Chapter 50, Pickwick goes to visit Mr Winkle who lives on a Canal Wharf in Birmingham:

"It was quite dark when Mr. Pickwick roused himself sufficiently
to look out of the window. The straggling cottages by the road-
side, the dingy hue of every object visible, the murky atmosphere,
the paths of cinders and brick-dust, the deep-red glow of furnace
fires in the distance, the volumes of dense smoke issuing heavily
forth from high toppling chimneys, blackening and obscuring
everything around; the glare of distant lights, the ponderous
wagons which toiled along the road, laden with clashing rods of
iron, or piled with heavy goods--all betokened their rapid
approach to the great working town of Birmingham.

As they rattled through the narrow thoroughfares leading to
the heart of the turmoil, the sights and sounds of earnest occupation
struck more forcibly on the senses. The streets were thronged
with working people. The hum of labour resounded from every
house; lights gleamed from the long casement windows in the
attic storeys, and the whirl of wheels and noise of machinery
shook the trembling walls. The fires, whose lurid, sullen light had
been visible for miles, blazed fiercely up, in the great works and
factories of the town. The din of hammers, the rushing of steam,
and the dead heavy clanking of engines, was the harsh music
which arose from every quarter.
The postboy was driving briskly through the open streets, and
past the handsome and well-lighted shops that intervene between
the outskirts of the town and the Old Royal Hotel, before Mr.
Pickwick had begun to consider the very difficult and delicate
nature of the commission which had carried him thither
."

Old Royal Hotel Birmingham. Dickens normally stayed here when he visited Birmingham. 'Attached to it were large assembly and concert rooms, erected in 1772 by Tontine. It was known as the Hotel, the distinctive appellation of 'Royal' being prefixed in conseqyence of a member of the royal family who took up his residence there for a time.' (Matz, p.206). Is this still in existence (is it Church St/ Temple Row pub? Or New St)

Many thanks Aidan. It's still as powerful as I remember it! Makes you realise what a rich source of social history Dickens's words are. Viv.

The 1830 directory lists "Royal Hotel, Wilday & Co.Temple-row", as the only hotel with Royal in its name. By 1855 it has become :
Dee's Royal hotel &
family, commercial & posting house, Frederic Dee, proprietor, 26 Temple row
Around 1891 renumbering has made it no 17, an dalso thename has changed to The Old Royal , so, when Pickwick Papers was written, it would have been called The Royal Hotel

Mike

Thanks Mike. Pickwick papers were first published by 1/- instalments in 1836. The attached advert for Lambley's New Royal Hotel in New St Birmingham purports to be from 1839 (with translation at https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyenglish/4182807742 ) and I assume it was called New Royal to distinguish itself from the Royal (which would then be the Old Royal) in Temple Row, it's a theory anyway.

Last edited:
This is a fascinating and very Seasonal thread. Thanks, everyone.

It is amazing how persistent the Dickens Christmas Carol story is: it has become part of our "cultural baggage", a legend in its own lifetime!

I am the proud owner of a 1961 edition (Perpetua Books) illustrated by the illustrious Ronald Searle. Searle's drawings are presented with great charm on YuleTube.

And last night I watched a contemporary adaptation by the Dr Who company, guest-starring the great Michael Gambon. A little pantomimic (there was a deep-frozen chanteuse), but excellent Seasonal viewing!

It seems to me that the New Royal Hotel was close to Worcester Street although I am not sure. Anyway After being on here for several years now I think that I can recollect several views of that building but it becomes harder to find them. Would an indexed library of old views/paintings/sketches not be valuable at this point. Great stuff above and I wonder if Allins was the inspiration for the old curiosity shop.

Below is an advert from the 1839 Wrightson's directory, which is identical, except that the owners of the New royal hotel are given as Smout & Lambley, rather than Lambley. There is a brief entry in the directory list which just says New St. Cannot find a New Royal hotel or a hotel owned by Smout or Lambley in the 1833 or 1841 directories, so assume it was bought by someone else. Showell, in discussing the old post office, states "....and which at one period formed part of the new Royal Hotel. The site is now covered by the Colonnade...." , so this fixes the approximate position of the new royal

advert_1839_new_royal_hotel.JPG

Thylacine - Thanks, I love the Searle drawings of course

Rupert - Thanks, I did do a forum search but couldn't find anything obvious. A Forum index would be a boon but would be a lot of work unless it was a joint effort. Love the idea of Allins being the model for the Old Curiosity Shop.

Mike - That's great investigative work thanks. This 1849 White's History of Birmingham Directory confirms that the New Royal was converted into the Post Office at 92 New St https://www.archive.org/stream/birminghamhistor00whitrich#page/n63/mode/2up/search/adapted, probably around the time of the perhaps last-chance adverts c1840

The first edition of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol was published in London by Chapman and Hall on 19 December 1843, when Dickens was 31 years old. Copies cost five shillings each (the equivalent of perhaps £20 today), and the entire first print run of 6,000 copies sold out by Christmas Eve. The edition included four hand-coloured etchings by John Leech.

I have been unable to find an e-text of the 1843 edition. Can anyone locate one? Archive.org has an e-text of a facsimile of the 1843 edition, with an introduction and poor quality reproductions of the plates (Boston: Little Brown and Co, 1920).

Pictured below: [1] Charles Dickens aged 30 (by Francis Alexander); and the John Leech plates: [2] Mr Fezziwig's Ball (frontispiece); [3] Marley's Ghost; [4] Scrooge's Third Visitor; [5] The Last of the Spirits.

Pictures [1] and [2] are by courtesy of Wikipedia; [3]-[5] are from the 1920 facsimile of the 1843 edition (hence the poorer quality).

Back