• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Central Fire Station Hq

This may already have been mentioned but my son reliably informs me that the fire station is to be Halls of Residence for students at the university.

mabz

hi ya mabz can you tell your tom that we did already know and thanks...i was at the fire station last may..see from my post 195 for update and they include pics...

lyn

Last edited:
Scaffolding has been coming down.

And the shops on Aston Street are being used (not all of them) as letting shops. Think they opened late last week.

But strange there not being Coffee N Cream there any more (or the Mini Mart further down). They closed end of 2013 I think.

After reading a lot of the Skyscraper City threads about the design of the conversion of the old Fire Station it looks as though a lot of
contributors don't think much of what is happening. Time will tell if it works out in the long run.

The Old Fire Station, as it is now - not too long until it opens for students to live in (6 months)

From the main gates

Still scaffolding from near the subway

Taff Thomas ex Welsh Guards and DDay veteran 2nd from right we served together for many years

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if anyone saved the photos at the start of this thread. Pity they've disappeared. If anyone has them please do post them and I'd be happy to slot them back into the first post.

This photo of the Station could be about 1930/40s. I'n not 100% sure which road the building to the left is actually on. Is it the bottom of Steelhouse Lane? Did the buildings at the bottom of Steelhouse Lane once reach closer to the fire station? Or was this another road altogether? The building seems to be a pub. It was obviously a very busy tram interchange at that time, so no surprise that the road system was dramatically altered in the 60s/70s. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 22
viv mike may have saved the old photos...cant be sure but i may have put them on a disc but will have to have a look..will get back if i have them

I thought I might have saved at least some, but unfortunately I do not seem to have done so.

Thanks Mike and Lyn for checking. Pity because you don't often get to see inside these places.

Ell. The building was probably converted on the cheap I suppose. All the same will have to be sorted out, that's very unhealthy. Viv.

Hopefully they will fix the issues over the summer?

Maybe they were in a rush to get it finished to open to students last autumn.

Thanks Aggie, nice photos of the inner courtyard of the station. Was the BAFS Birmingham .... Fire Service? Don't know what the 'A' stood for. I presume along the balconies were the homes of firemen. Weren't most fire stations built with accommodation for staff? Viv.

Thanks Aggie. I can see where they engines were housed behind the Charity group in post #227 photo. I assume all those in that photo were firemen in 1962. Did you live or work at the station? Viv.

Must have been an interesting place to live Aggie. Was there an ambulance station there too? Afraid I don't know what white watch is, can you tell me ? Viv.

They're smashing photos Aggie. Keep posting if you have more - it's showing us a fascinating glimpse of what went on behind those walls! I,like many other Brummies, probably passed the station many, many times, but you'd get no real sense of the day to day lives of the firemen and their families living within its walls. Thanks. Viv.

Each station comprised of 3 watches red white and blue copied from the Royal Navy watch system as quite a lot of the personnel were ex Navy between the wars. There was a large brass bell in the back wash(appliance room) which was rung to call the watch to parade.

Back