• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Might not have remembered this precisely, but didn't a prisoner escape along there - possibly 1960s I think.

A bit of history ! The place shown on the Google picture above at Winson Green Prison seems to be known as "Wilson's Corner" where Charles Wilson, Great Train Robber made his escape in 1964 on August 12 at 3.20 am. He had served 4 months and was recaptured in Jan 1968 in Canada.

Such a wonderful part of Birminghams heritage, why is it only open so infrequently?
I can't answer that I'm afraid, I live in London now!
It looks a great place, I'm ashamed to say I was not aware of it when I lived in Brum although, as the young lady who had worked at the Crescent Theatre also said in the clip, I knew some of the area around.

I can't answer that I'm afraid, I live in London now!
It looks a great place, I'm ashamed to say I was not aware of it when I lived in Brum although, as the young lady who had worked at the Crescent Theatre also said in the clip, I knew some of the area around.
Thank you, I never knew about it and always thought I was pretty connected when I lived there! It must have been one of those places on a hidden path.

Back