• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canal Cottage, (yardley Wood) Stratford -on -avon Canal

It was sold a few years ago by the River and Canal trust. It had an overage attached to the sale, but a guy who I understand has boats bought it and has done some significant work to it. I recall he has completely added the rear gable as an extension. Its is looking quite nice now.

It was sold a few years ago by the River and Canal trust. It had an overage attached to the sale, but a guy who I understand has boats bought it and has done some significant work to it. I recall he has completely added the rear gable as an extension. Its is looking quite nice now.
Yes, that is a very well done addition!

It looks a valuable and nicely restored / adapted home. I wonder if it has any listing status?

It looks a valuable and nicely restored / adapted home. I wonder if it has any listing status?
I cannot see a listing for it on the Historic England Website. In terms of value, there was an overage attached to the cottage at the time of sale a few years back, so if it has gained any value a big chunk will stay with the canal trust.

In 2011 planning permission was applied for and withdrawn to build an extension. The first was withdrawn. Second application successful.
Didn't realise the extent of the land - right through to Yardley wood Road. I can't see any mention of listing.
1722951662403.png

Last edited:
In 2011 planning permission was applied for and withdrawn to build an extension. The first was withdrawn. Second application successful.
Didn't realise the extent of the land - right through to Yardley wood Road. I can't see any mention of listing.
View attachment 193734
Wonder if the length of canal bank had been a wharf, with access to the road for wagons?

The cottage owner in 2007 applied to cut an access road from Yardley Wood Road. It was refused because of the number of trees covered by a 2006 order. When the building consent was given in 2011 separate consent was given for laurel bushes and certain trees to be felled.

Its looks like it could be Happy Valley. I know it had a boat house and there is one here adjacent to the canal cottage. The canal cottage seems to have sat in its own grounds with the Yardley Wood Road entrance belonging to the boat house.

Boat House.JPG

Back