• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Caledonia and Small Heath/Sparkbrook

AidanCroft

Brummie babby
Eh up all,

Just north of Small Heath railway station is a railway yard known as Caledonia Yard.

Why is it called this?

I've checked and researched. I find no evidence of the name Caledonia in nearby land names, names of works, names of businesses, names of streets, nothing.

Where does the name come from?

Kind regards,

Aidan.

Welcome - will try to help but sounds as if you have already looked in most places.
Are you able to post a map showing exactly where it is?

Welcome - will try to help but sounds as if you have already looked in most places.
Are you able to post a map showing exactly where it is?

i was also wondering about a map jan...it may help if we know the exact location

lyn

Hiya both

It's immediately to the north of Small Heath railway station and west of the railway.

In terms of roads it's bounded by Anderton Road, Small Heath Bridge and Montgomery Street connecting the two (actually, the canal forms the edge).

Aidan.

I cannot see any mention on google maps of Caledonia yard. Where did you get the name from? That side of the canal has never had a rail connection, though the other side of the canal was the Smallheath goods yard. The side you are talking about has had several factories, including Lanchester cars, a corporation yard, a rolling mill and a colour works, Nearest the Anderton Road was the corporation yard, which might be the area you are interested in.

I cannot see any mention on google maps of Caledonia yard. Where did you get the name from? That side of the canal has never had a rail connection, though the other side of the canal was the Smallheath goods yard. The side you are talking about has had several factories, including Lanchester cars, a corporation yard, a rolling mill and a colour works, Nearest the Anderton Road was the corporation yard, which might be the area you are interested in.

yes it could be this area mike..map below

Good idea but the railway hereabouts was part of the Great Western Railway.

The other two in the area were the London and North Western Railway and Midland Railway.

Trying to place it.
This map from 1888 shows part of Anderton road, Montgomery Street and the canal plus Small Heath/Sparkbrook Station
1726750740506.png

On that map Caledonia Yard today exists between the engine shed down to where it says goods shed occupying all those sidings plus some of the empty land between it and the canal.

ref in paragraph 2
1726752731891.png

Is it anything to do with the Caledonian Line absorbed into LMSR in 1923?

Or Caledonian Express running from Glasgow to London?
I am thinking the same Janice, there was a Caledonian Railway company who wanted to link the west coat line with Scotland.

In the 1960's I used to go with a friend and her parents to the Caledonian Corks Club" in Golden Hillock Road, (Towards the Coventry Rd) It was what used to be called a "Working Man's Club".

Back