• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burbury Street

• Thread starter Thread starter RayD
  • Start date Start date
hi spud...glad you like the pic and eric you are now giving all your secrets away lol...

lyn

Here's one for Lyn. Did you know a famous surgeon once lived at 317 Burbury St? Pity it doesn't have a picture of the house in the article (from 1970)
mike

robert_tait2C_burbury_stA.jpg

mike that is brillient...well fancy that... unless the numbering changed his house must still be there then as wendys rellies had a bakery at 306 and thats still there..it was only the bottom end of burbury st that was demolished the top half from nursery road up still remain...

lyn.

Its so lovely and quirky the things that turn up on this wonderful Forum. My Mom said she named my elder brother after a doctor, i dont know weather she knew him or had seen a painting of him, but she liked it so our kid is called Lawson after him LOL . Max

Lyn
The house hasn’t been renumbered. He doesn’t seem as if he lived there very long. He is not listed in directory in 1868, and appears in the 1871 census at an unnumbered house in Burbury St ( a lot of houses in the street in 1868, but not in 1873, were un-numbered and then numbered in peculiar ways). It doesn’t seem possible at the moment to confirm it was what is now no 317, but it was listed in the census next to John Jennings, baker, who, I think is Wendy’s relative. That doesn’t mean the house necessarily would be next to it now though, as others could have been built after the census. In 1871 he is Head of the household, 25, already an FRCS, born in Edinburgh, living with his mother (60) a medical student boarder, and a servant.
Anyway by 1872 he has house and consulting rooms at 7 Gt Charles St, where he stays till between 1883 & 1884, when he moves to 7, Crescent, Cambridge St., where he stays till 1897 and then disappears from Birmingham. During his time in birmingham he seems to have preferred to be known as Lawson Tait, using his middle name – no doubt sounded more exclusive
Mike

thanks for that mike...as usual invaluable info..maybe worth having a look when i have the time...

cheers

lyn

Mike do you have access to the Birmingham Mail and Despatch archives at your disposal for February 1962 ? nothing to do with this thread but i noticed you was on Green Max

Hi Max
No i don't have access. These are all from cuttings i saved from the time. Am slowly going through them . Have completely forgotten a lot of what was in them. not sure what you mean by saying i was on green ?
Mike

Lyn
The house hasn’t been renumbered. He doesn’t seem as if he lived there very long. He is not listed in directory in 1868, and appears in the 1871 census at an unnumbered house in Burbury St ( a lot of houses in the street in 1868, but not in 1873, were un-numbered and then numbered in peculiar ways). It doesn’t seem possible at the moment to confirm it was what is now no 317, but it was listed in the census next to John Jennings, baker, who, I think is Wendy’s relative. That doesn’t mean the house necessarily would be next to it now though, as others could have been built after the census. In 1871 he is Head of the household, 25, already an FRCS, born in Edinburgh, living with his mother (60) a medical student boarder, and a servant.
Anyway by 1872 he has house and consulting rooms at 7 Gt Charles St, where he stays till between 1883 & 1884, when he moves to 7, Crescent, Cambridge St., where he stays till 1897 and then disappears from Birmingham. During his time in birmingham he seems to have preferred to be known as Lawson Tait, using his middle name – no doubt sounded more exclusive
Mike
This is interesting. If 317 is the 317 of today, it would be situated on the left hand side of the road if you were walking up Burbury Street heading towards Lozells Road. I think it would be somewhere near the top of the street, possibly nearly opposite the bakery house, Wendy's relative John Jennings.

Hi Max
No i don't have access. These are all from cuttings i saved from the time. Am slowly going through them . Have completely forgotten a lot of what was in them. not sure what you mean by saying i was on green ?
Mike

By the side of your name mike a green light shows you are on the forum. Ok Mike i know i was in one of those papers at that time i was 11 and had won a yo_yo championship at the Bristol Rd Cinema. I will have to get meself up to the library. Max

hi jules yes that what i thought but i cant be sure here but i seem to think that wendy had rellies on both sides of the street but dont quote me until wendy can tell us for sure...

lyn...

wendy is a bit busy at the min but she sent me this map showing that no 317 is on the opposite side of her rellies bakery which is marked in red...looks like it was on the corner...first the bakery as it is today....

Blimey Lyn i,m shocked, i left school in 1958 and started work for a small company called S.C.M. electrical (Stanton,Cooke and Moore) based in Moor ST in 1960 we moved to Burbery St guess where yes into that shop that once belong to Wendys family i remember it well and the back yard.Dek

double blimey dec so you lived at no 306..wait till wendy gets wind of this....just going to post an ariel shot of netown 1967...

lyn

What a lot of information is on the ordinance map
Would any one have a copy of nursery road and wellesley street down to farm street
We used to live at 150 wellesley street and we were surrounded by factorys.
Thanks again
Pam

Thanks for posting the information Lyn. It never ceases to amaze me what is found on this forum.......Brilliant!

Wow how fantastic Derek I would have given anything to see inside and the yard out back. The photo was taken in about 2004 the building is now a residential property. Here is another taken from a different angle.

Pam the map is a copy from the maps held at central library.

pam ive got this one corner of wellesley street but if you type in nursery road newsagents in the search box and scroll down to find the thread there are lots more of the area...

wendy is a bit busy at the min but she sent me this map showing that no 317 is on the opposite side of her rellies bakery which is marked in red...looks like it was on the corner...first the bakery as it is today....
Thanks for the map Astoness. From looking at it, the house on the corner where the surgeon lived, I am sure were turned into shops. I am certain this is where Padmore's had their shop. I remember buying my husband to be a snooker cue from there.

I have a more recent photo of the bakery which has now been turned into a house.

Interesting to read what became of Mr Jefferson, he was a kindly and polite gentleman and when he said "They'll be ready on Thursday", you could depend on it.

Regarding the shops starting at the corner of Wills St. Around the 60s there was: on the corner, Arthur Bosworth, greengrocer (they lived in Beaudesert Rd, Handsworth -posh, or what?) I think they were there till the mid 70s.

Newsagent's, Howard and May Cook. They had 2 sons, Chris and Robert. Tragically, Robert died from leukaemia whilst a teenager (circa 1962). His was the first funeral I attended; if memory serves, it was at St Silas Church and he was buried in Handsworth Cemetery. I think they retired in the early 70s.

Edith Cavell was next down; haberdashery, I guess , would be the best description. She left in the mid 60s.

On the opposite corner was Stubbs's. This was a general store, grocery, etc. Not exactly Arkwright's, but along those lines. They left in the 1st half of the 60s, my recollections are a little hazy but I know there was a bare wooden floor and things on the customer side of the counter in open-top wooden barrels. Though now a residence, the outside is as it was then, including the double-door entrance.

Padmores was indeed a snooker place, arrived in the 70s and still there when I left the area. Terry Griffiths paid a visit when he became world champion in 1979.

If you ain't all nodded off yet, here goes about families. Mrs Pemberton (Auntie Pem, as she was known to me) was my Godmother. She and my mom were close friends. Pem was widowed at an early age after her husband suddenly died from a heart-attack. She had a large family to care for and was universally admired for the way she coped. Mom always said that Pem had a heart of gold and would help anyone. This was true, she was a wonderful kind lady whom I loved dearly. I like to think they are both 'up there' having a good 'cant'.

Joyce Wheeldon was for many years cook at Anglesey Street School, and was another chum of my mom's. I also remember the Benbows, Mrs Benbow was Connie, but I don't recall Mr's name.

Our other main friends in Burbury St were the Bowlers. Eric and Betty and daughter Glenys. Eric's mother Nellie owned the house originally and is listed in a Kelly's directory of the day as a button-maker.

Finally, Mr Stamper. Definitely not on our Xmas card list. His house, in the uppermost block, had a sign attached to it bearing the legend: W.E. STAMPER, UNDERTAKER. Does anyone recall his habit of leaving a pile of soggy bread on the pavement for the birds to eat? My sister once slipped and landed on top of it, smothering her new suede coat.
Mom was chuffed to bits with him.

Hope there's something here for you.

Interesting to read what became of Mr Jefferson, he was a kindly and polite gentleman and when he said "They'll be ready on Thursday", you could depend on it.

Regarding the shops starting at the corner of Wills St. Around the 60s there was: on the corner, Arthur Bosworth, greengrocer (they lived in Beaudesert Rd, Handsworth -posh, or what?) I think they were there till the mid 70s.

Newsagent's, Howard and May Cook. They had 2 sons, Chris and Robert. Tragically, Robert died from leukaemia whilst a teenager (circa 1962). His was the first funeral I attended; if memory serves, it was at St Silas Church and he was buried in Handsworth Cemetery. I think they retired in the early 70s.

Edith Cavell was next down; haberdashery, I guess , would be the best description. She left in the mid 60s.

On the opposite corner was Stubbs's. This was a general store, grocery, etc. Not exactly Arkwright's, but along those lines. They left in the 1st half of the 60s, my recollections are a little hazy but I know there was a bare wooden floor and things on the customer side of the counter in open-top wooden barrels. Though now a residence, the outside is as it was then, including the double-door entrance.

Padmores was indeed a snooker place, arrived in the 70s and still there when I left the area. Terry Griffiths paid a visit when he became world champion in 1979.

If you ain't all nodded off yet, here goes about families. Mrs Pemberton (Auntie Pem, as she was known to me) was my Godmother. She and my mom were close friends. Pem was widowed at an early age after her husband suddenly died from a heart-attack. She had a large family to care for and was universally admired for the way she coped. Mom always said that Pem had a heart of gold and would help anyone. This was true, she was a wonderful kind lady whom I loved dearly. I like to think they are both 'up there' having a good 'cant'.

Joyce Wheeldon was for many years cook at Anglesey Street School, and was another chum of my mom's. I also remember the Benbows, Mrs Benbow was Connie, but I don't recall Mr's name.

Our other main friends in Burbury St were the Bowlers. Eric and Betty and daughter Glenys. Eric's mother Nellie owned the house originally and is listed in a Kelly's directory of the day as a button-maker.

Finally, Mr Stamper. Definitely not on our Xmas card list. His house, in the uppermost block, had a sign attached to it bearing the legend: W.E. STAMPER, UNDERTAKER. Does anyone recall his habit of leaving a pile of soggy bread on the pavement for the birds to eat? My sister once slipped and landed on top of it, smothering her new suede coat.
Mom was chuffed to bits with him.

Hope there's something here for you.
Wow Mohawk - the family's you mention I knew most of them! Your mom must have known mine. We lived next door to Mr. Stamper (the undertaker). I remember him giving my mom a lift with me at age 5 sitting on her lap to Dudley Road Hospital when I had a bad cut on my head.

I remember the name Mrs Pemberton but cannot bring her face to mind. Joyce Wheeldon is a different matter. You either called her Mrs. Wheeldon or Aunty Joyce. She was a good friend of my mom. In fact, my brother was a good friend of her daugher in later years, before she died tragically young around 2000. When I was at Anglesey St School I used to go to Aunty Joyce's after school until my mom could pick me up. Her children were more my sister and brothers ages, quite a bit older than me.

I remember Connie Benbow so well. She always used to give me a chocolate biscuit if she saw me passing by her house, which if I remember rightly was towards the bottom of Burbury Street, further down than Mrs. Wheeldon's. Mrs Benbow knew my nan very well - they were friends as young girls. My nan's brother used to play for Aston Villa in the early 1900's and so did Connie's brother. She used to tell me about how her brother's football kit was layed out on the piano in the front room for him to go training on a Sunday and how he used to call for my nan's brother so they could go training together. My nan and her brothers used to attend the Sunday school that founded the original Villa team.

Hi everyone
i am trying to find photos of 187 Burbury street of lozells district in the 1940's to 1990's as it used to be a shoe repair shop i think was known as Jefferson Bros would be grateful for any assistant
regards ste

How interesting. Around 1901, Samuel Gray moved into 187 Burbury Street until around 1914 and he was a boot repairer/maker from Norwich. My Great Grandmother married him in 1910 and I notice from the trade directories that he ran the business from there. I imagine that after he left, the next occupiers carried on the trade.

Re: Burbury Street Lozells

my hubby was also born in burbury st opp lucas,s but left in the late 50s. i remember a few names from burbury st,and surrounding streets as i came from clifford st. a few i remember starting at the top towards lozells road was my friend jean neath,a bit further down passed wills st my friends brother married carol pemberton.then towards nursery rd, the last house was june yardley,then over nursery rd i remember names, such, fanning, thomas, i spent many hours playing in burbury park and during the summer holidays mid 60s they had the shed open where we could go playing records,and playing up basically.

HI !!
Did you know anyone around Bartons Bank? Worked at cyclo Gear ? research for my mom & dad. wondered if they still did reunion at Bartons Arms pub??

Thanks
Melissa

my hubby was also born in burbury st opp lucas,s but left in the late 50s. i remember a few names from burbury st,and surrounding streets as i came from clifford st. a few i remember starting at the top towards lozells road was my friend jean neath,a bit further down passed wills st my friends brother married carol pemberton.then towards nursery rd, the last house was june yardley,then over nursery rd i remember names, such, fanning, thomas, i spent many hours playing in burbury park and during the summer holidays mid 60s they had the shed open where we could go playing records,and playing up basically.

Topsy - I too spent many a happy hour in the mid -to-late '60's in the park and in the clubhouse playing table tennis and listening to records. Happy days.......... Mabz

lovely marg ..still pegging out even in the snow i see...its most important to keep these pics safe as one day those houses wont be there..

thanks for posting it and keep em coming..

lyn

Last edited:
Astoness, Will do!!.
You tend to forget what might be lurking in the background of some of the old snaps.You never know what may turn up.

I started a Writers' Group calle Burbury Creative Writers' Circle. we met in the Centre in Burbury Park. I researched the area. Great

Back