• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burbury Street School

A very strange coincidence:
Family friends of my parents who lived in Guildford Street were the Mansell family. The parents were Herbert and Lily Mansell. They lived up at the top of Guildford Street (the 142 end) when I went to Burbury Street. Lily would often visit mom then. Later when Lily was in her 80s she visited her family who had moved to Australia. Lily's maiden name was Lily Ann Astle, born 1881

hi geoff as astle is not or was not a very common name i had a strange feeling that those who died in guildford st were rellies of yours...such a sad loss and i dont know how they coped with it it all...nice to know that you visit the memorial in birmingham..i have 2 rellies on it...if you are interested i have posted lots of photos of guildford st on the forum taken before the street was demolished..any problems finding them give me a shout...

lyn
I knew a Harry Astle, same spelling. Lived in our area, not sure where. My brother may know more and he'll be visiting me tomorrow...
Dave A

Oh wow Lyn, you're a great person to have discovered! Thank you! I will go see if I can find those - I'm still trying to find my way around the forum but each photo I click on at the moment tells me I need to log in (and I am!). I'm sure I'll get it sorted. Thank you again.

Hi Geoff,
My older sister, Maureen Bow, was born in October 1940 and attended Burbury St school from I believe, September 1945 and left in July 1952 to attend Lozells secondary school for girls. Sadly, she passed away 2 years ago this May coming. Her husband gave me a lot of photos that she was on as a young girl, so I'll go through them again in case there's one of a Burbury St class. Both myself and our younger brother went there but as Michael (Ingram) has said, there is very little about the school either in photos or of memories. I believe there was a 'Harry Lucas' reunion group run by Barry Davies 0121-373 2598, Lyn Weaver 0121-421 1596, and Jean Hughes 0121-350 2660. Whether it's still going I don't really know.
Kind regards, Trevor

hello trevor thank you for joining us on this thread ..it would be great if you could post any class photos or any that show anything of the school really as they are very few and far between..you may know that burbury st school changed its name to harry lucas and we do have a thread going for that..so if you are interested click on the link below to take you to it...very sorry to hear of the loss of your sister maureen..i also attended lozells girls but it would have some years after...all the best

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/harry-lucas-school.39524/

hello trevor thank you for joining us on this thread ..it would be great if you could post any class photos or any that show anything of the school really as they are very few and far between..you may know that burbury st school changed its name to harry lucas and we do have a thread going for that..so if you are interested click on the link below to take you to it...very sorry to hear of the loss of your sister maureen..i also attended lozells girls but it would have some years after...all the best

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/harry-lucas-school.39524/
Hi Lyn,
Yes I've viewed this thread and it's very interesting. Our family left Hockley for new horizons in Northfield around the summer of 1954. I believe Burbury St changed its name to Harry Lucas not too long afterwards. As I mentioned, I'll certainly go through my sister's old photos again and see what I come up with.
Also interesting that you went Lozells girls' school the same as my sister, but much later as you say. Thanks also for your mention of Maureen's passing which was much appreciated. Kind regards, Trevor.

hi trev thank you so much hope you may find a couple of good ones for the forum...our mom also went to lozells girls school.she would have started there in 1939/40...dad also went to burbury st school..its a small world

lyn

hi trev thank you so much hope you may find a couple of good ones for the forum...our mom also went to lozells girls school.she would have started there in 1939/40...dad also went to burbury st school..its a small world

lyn
Hi Lyn, Hope you find attached poster interesting, it mentions both your dad's old schools: Burbury Street and Icknield Street, interesting to note you can pay your fee of 1 shilling in 4 instalments, if you need to, but you can get it back. Gem St. is mentioned where I did metalwork and I think my mother went to Camden St.
Any idea what JNO. means/stands for? Also note: Men and Youths, Not Men and Boys.
Regards,
Peg.
BSB Evening Classes 1902.jpg

JNO is a common abbreviation for John (although it could be Johannes or Johan or Jonathan). Viv.

yes thanks from me too viv as i also thought it was a job title or the likes

lyn

I'm saddened by the fact now there is no trace of the school, or has a commemorative plaque been erected somewhere?
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited:
I'm saddened by the fact now there is no trace of the school, or has a commemorative plaque been erected somewhere?
Regards,
Peg.

no plaque erected peg...in fact i dont know of a demolished school in birmingham where one has been..

lyn

no plaque erected peg...in fact i dont know of a demolished school in birmingham where one has been..

lyn
Hi Lyn, yes I see what you mean, anyway there wouldn't be any where to hang one - the site became a car park didn't it?
Regards,
Peg.

Re Heaton Street - I have an interesting account of my grandfather, a jeweller, for the Heaton St thread, which would be more easily prepared off-line, (another option is to convert to a jpeg and then upload.).
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited:
Hi Peg. If you have it in Word, I'd suggest you just copy the account and paste it into a post. Suggest you break it up into manageable paragraphs to make it easier to read.

Or as you say, you could load it into a post as an image. Viv.

Hi Folks, Photo and Plan of the school; for an account of the life and times of the colour slide from which the photo was produced see my posting on Page 2 of the Harry Lucas School Thread.
Regards,
Peg.
Harry Lucas School Photograph.jpg Harry Lucas School Plan Issue 2..jpg

Hi VIV
Here is a picture of old Ickneild street it,s self facing Hingestion street heading towards the Ickneild street school
where i attended along with my two cousins the phelps of ford street hockley
the picture of the school is early one long before my attendants thank god it was not as bad as you see it now
here they are .

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 31
  • ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 30
  • ScanImage003.jpg
    ScanImage003.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi VIV
Here is a picture of old Ickneild street it,s self facing Hingestion street heading towards the Ickneild street school
where i attended along with my two cousins the phelps of ford street hockley
the picture of the school is early one long before my attendants thank god it was not as bad as you see it now
here they are .
Hi Astonian, my first school was Ellen St, but only for a short time - a few weeks starting September 1954, I've studied the picture but I'm not there.
Regards,
Peg.

viv if any of the lads in that photo are about 5 years old one of them could be our dads brother harry who died in 1941 abergavenny aged 6 years old ...he died of peritonitis of course i will never know...6 months after that dads mom had another son who died at 1 month old...so sad...

lyn

Does anyone who attended Burbury Street School in the early 50s remember when we had road safety instruction and the police arrived at the school with sit in cars ?. A circuit was laid out on the tarmac at the front of the school that ran parallel to Farm street. We had to drive the cars around the circuit that had zebra crossings etcetera and we had to observe all aspects of road safety. Around this time the headmaster was Mr Majerison other teachers I remember were Mr Berry, Mr Hughes, Mr Sheldon and Miss Griffin.

Back