• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harry lucas school

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
does anyone out there remember harry lucas school. my brother went there in the 60s and would appreciate any photos or memories of the old school days.

Put Harry Lucas into the search box at the top of the page.

harry lucas

thanks mike will try that. cant you tell i am a beginner at this.

just a quick reminder to say if anyone has pictures of harry lucas school farm st i would love to see them. many thanks. wales.

As a former pupil of Harry Lucas, I knew very little about the person for whom the school was named after? All that I knew was that he was Joseph Lucas's son. I recently found this information on a site selling a watercolour painting owned by the late Harry Lucas and though that this might be of interest to other pupils of the school?

'Harry Lucas (1855- 1939) was the son of Joseph Lucas, of Joseph Lucas & Son (later Lucas Automotive), the famous manufacturer of components for the motor industry, founded in 1872 and located in Great King Street, Birmingham. Harry was involved in the business from a young age and by 25 he had to cope with much of the financial and management burden of running the business. By the 1880s Lucas & Son was growing from strength to strength. Harry Lucas wrote to his father in 1886 'In a little while we shall be free from debt entirely and then all we make will be our very own, as children say, to do as we like with' 1. By 1889 they had moved their offices to the more salubrious Little King Street, and they had persuaded Walter Chamberlain, the uncle of the future Prime Minister, to sit on the board of directors.

Their business was now prospering and Harry had designed his own house in St Agnes Road, Moseley although it took until 1900 to complete. Harry's eldest son, Oliver, became involved in the business and began to help expand sales to the United States.'

Harry retired from the business 1925 and died in 1939.

Mabz

hi I went to Harry lucas in 1949 or 1950 i cannot remember that much i was born in 1944 moved to Burbury street in 1946 i was about 2 years old. I went to st silasis if thats how you spell it and i was 4 years old then mom had to go to work. But i was told that i played up so she took me from there.I cannot remember much but i went to harry Lucas school.I could read and write and tie my shoe laces that was a big thing then.I know i was happier then.No photos though sorry
Roystonp123

hello
Farm street and harry lucas are the same school when i went
Roystonp123

Royston, you must have attended the school between 1941 - 1954? The schools were amalgamated during this period so that the Farm Street school could be used for civil duties during the war/post war period.

Farm Street Board School was opened in 1873 with separate departments for boys, girls and infants. It was reorganised in 1930 into two departments for mixed and infants. The Infant Department closed in 1933 and the rest of the school closed in 1941. It re-opened in 1949 as a Junior and Infant School. It had been renamed as Hockley Junior and Infant School by c.1970. It finally closed in 1974 and the buildings were demolished.

Burbury Street Board School opened in 1891 with accommodation for mixed and infant children. The school was reorganised in 1930 into a Senior Mixed Department and an Infant Department. The Senior Mixed Department closed in 1941 and the school was reorganised as a junior and Infant 1954 and closed in 1958. The school premises were taken over by Harry Lucas County Modern School.

Mabz

I went to harry lucas school it was either 1949 till 1954 if i remember right memory is not what it used to thank you for the info
Royston

hello
i do not know if there is a book written about Harry Lucas school can,t help there
Roystonp123

hi all..just another reminder that we are still looking for any pics of harry lucas school...would be very grateful if anyone can help....

cheers

lyn

Liz I went to Harry Lucas Secondary Modern School which did not start in fact until 1958 and at which time I started. The headmaster Mr Walker and Pete Watson were originally at Icknield Street Boys school but moved to HL at the beginning in 1958. All the 4 school teams were named after Lucas's directors, Garner, Margerison (cant remember the other 2). It was here in 1960 I first saw my first black person. Unfortunately I do not have photos of the time there. I know we had a rounders team, badminton team, we sang at the Town Hall 'Hiawatha' and did square dancing at the BBC studios which used to be on Broad Street. We visited Bockleton for 2 weeks for a holiday. Instead of eating our school dinners we used to spend our money in the cafe and listened to music like Eddy Cochran, Tommy Roe, Gene Vincent. It was a great school and very forward for its time.

hi carolynn.....i know you have probably seen the request but just in case you missed it we are still searching for any pics of the school...for some reason they are like gold dust to find...even the archive dept at the central library dont have any...

lyn

I have a head photograph of myself in uniform but its black and white so it doesnt even shown the school colours.

All the 4 school teams were named after Lucas's directors, Garner, Margerison (cant remember the other 2).

Hi, I attended Harry Lucas school 1962-1967. The four school houses were Garner, Masterton (or Masterson), Waring and Corfield. It all sounded rather grand for such a school but I think that the head, Mr Walker (inevitably Johnny) was quite ambitious for his school. Unfortunately the school didn't last for too long after I left - closed around 1969 I think and then the bulldozers moved in.

I think I have a photo somewhere taken during one of the speech days. I'll try and find it.

Astoness, if you can get onto Friends Reunited there are photos from Harry Lucas of the netball team, sports day and school trip. I have been able to get a copy from it, hoping I could download and post them onto the Forum, unfortunately, my PC is not allowing me to do this. Regards

Hope I've done this right.

Speech day circa 1965 at a guess. Mr Walker standing with I believe, Lady Waring. Not sure about the others but I think the gentleman seated on the right could be the Birmingham Chief Education Officer of the time.

View attachment 45063

oh dear mike...its coming up invalid attachment for me....prob must be my end then...

lyn

Back