• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brum Slang

ged9

proper brummie kid
How many of you still say:
Tuff Brush (tooth brush)
Buz (bus)
Baff Room (Bath Room)
I'm forever getting ridiculed by people for saying things "lyke" these.

Any more?

Living in the Black Country I notice Brummies tend to say Barthroom....we say Loike for Like.
Mike.

Guilty,I say all of the above,but not "barthroom" sounds a bit posh to me that does!

Does anybody really say tuff brush, or baff room,i think people from the black country maybe say buz, but mostly i think its exaggerated,any road i'm gooin to ave a baff, night

yes there are plenty of brummies whom still used the slang of the words mentioned
I myself are are dead ringer for it ; i,m a brummie and proud of it some people may think its uneducated and bad
grammour ; but i am a proud to say ; am a true brummie through and through
i wonder what the amercicans would think of it even thou they say they love the english accent
some people speak with a plum in there mouth me; i speak with an apple
some people say can you get me a pint of milk; i say get a bockle of milk ;
but i am not alone on this as i have said i am a true brummie through and through and proud of it
it does nt matter who,s company i am in i speak the way i do ;
haVE A NICE DAY EVERY BODY BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;

This was not intended to sound "posh"as you put it Jayne, what i'm trying to say is Birmingham people tend to say AR in place of A in one or two words. we notice it more in BC.
Mike.

Yom rite theer but yo still spake different to wot we do momon.....see BC accent on wikipedia !
Mike.

B'ham has its own dialect......in all districts from Handsworth to Summer Lane (if it's still there in Aston) Brumie accents are the same.
in the Black Country dialects vary from place to place Darlaston for instance is different to Halesowen all districts vary......but not in Brum.

B'ham has its own dialect......in all districts from Handsworth to Summer Lane (if it's still there in Aston) Brumie accents are the same.
in the Black Country dialects vary from place to place Darlaston for instance is different to Halesowen all districts vary......but not in Brum.

Beg to differ mate ! I spent half my working life driving all round the B'Ham area calling at peoples homes.

With redevelopement people got mixed up, I'm from Small Heath, my accent is similar to Sparkbrook etc. but can still tell if somebody was originally from Aston if theyre over about 50 or 60, same with Norhfield or Selly Oak although not as much, an Aston accent is certainly the easiest to spot. I reckon as you go towards the Black Country, say Great Barr, or Winson Green its gradually gets a bit more Black Country. Anybody else agree ?

It is dying out now, but its still there I'm sure. And you can still tell someone who lives in Alum Rock cant you ?...innit. lol

Its always struck me that Dudley people sound a bit like an Italian speaking English with a strong accent. Thats my 2 bobs worth !

I agree with you....but the only reason you can distinguish diferent dialects in B'ham is because you are a Brummie we in BC can't....Brumie is Brumie accent to us
same as you couldn't tell the difference between TIpton and Darlaston.....we can !
Mike.

I agree with you....but the only reason you can distinguish diferent dialects in B'ham is because you are a Brummie we in BC can't....Brumie is Brumie accent to us
same as you couldn't tell the difference between TIpton and Darlaston.....we can !
Mike.

No mate, I cant tell which area your from, but I can hear that they are different. To me, Dudley sounds VERY different to the rest. Wonder if it comes down to where people migrated from during the Industrial Revolution or what.

I agree with Elizabeth when she says Does anybody really say tuff brush, or baff room,i am a brummie and have never spoken loike that

I agree with Elizabeth when she says Does anybody really say tuff brush, or baff room,i am a brummie and have never spoken loike that

We aint all posh like you tho are we Maggie. I say tuth brush.
Bet you had Pasteurised milk in your house when you was a kid, not council house milk (stera) like everybody else.

What i meant was do people really say tuff brush baff room,we may be from Birmingham, but i think generally we do pronounce the
Th, as in tooth brush,an i ent posh lol

:D:D:DFatfingers ..suppose i was posh cos we lived in a front house in the back to backs in Hockley:Dand no i didnt have pas milk i had nestle's out of a tin;):Dyer right there Elizabeth us in Hockley did say bathroom even though we never had one:beam:

Last edited:
:D:D:DFatfingers ..suppose i was posh cos we lived in a front house in the back to backs in Hockley:Dand no i didnt have pas milk i had nestle's out of a tin;):D

Maggie i think you were on the border of being posh in Vauxhall anyone that lived outside the inner circle bus route ,spoke with a plum in their mouth was posh. Dek:D:D

:D:D:DFatfingers ..suppose i was posh cos we lived in a front house in the back to backs in Hockley:Dand no i didnt have pas milk i had nestle's out of a tin;):Dyer right there Elizabeth us in Hockley did say bathroom even though we never had one:beam:

Thats where the Smethwick slipper baths came in useful

I attended Severne Road infant and junior school, then Pitmaston Rd seniors and everyone I knew said Bath-Room. I know that both grammar and diction have hit an all time low in the last fifteeen years but we were corrected on things like th, and f. What is classed as normal speech nowadays was not allowed in my schooldays. We had to know the difference between FREE or THREE, WEATHER or WEVAR, MOTHER or MUVAR. It is not a matter of being posh or otherwise today. It is a matter of schooling going down the pan and no one being really interested.

People in Halesowen have a singing sound to their accent yet it is not far from B'ham so does Cradley.
but not so much now because of Brummies migrating to Halesowen.
Mike.

Last edited:
Back