• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broadfields House Lindenhurst House

Possible marriage for Catherine
1636801766510.png
I think this is correct - the address for Catherine looks like a mis-spelling of Broadfields - or is that wishful thinking on my part?

Last edited:
Harder to check the others, as you know, earlier marriages and banns did not give much info apart from names. Do we know if Joseph married more than once?

Thank you both for that information.
Firstly, I don't think Samuel ever lived at Broadfields as Paul Moore was there at least from 1841 and Samuel was living at the above address according to the poll books.
As he was living south of the city it makes me wonder if there was a family grave at Sutton parish church.

Confusingly 1912 Kelly's has these entries
1637164631838.png
1637164654833.png
I can't find anything on maps but there are quite a few unnamed houses on the map.

Last edited:
(I thought I'd posted the following yesterday - sorry!)

I'm totally confused Janice so will have to see what I can come up with. I've been to the Exotic Zoo in Telford today so I haven't had time to think about it. All very puzzling.

Just another bit of interest, Louisa (Nicholls) came to Broadfields originally as a companion for Samuel's sister and married Samuel in 1908. Doesn't help with the above though.

Possible marriage for Catherine
View attachment 163794
I think this is correct - the address for Catherine looks like a mis-spelling of Broadfields - or is that wishful thinking on my part?
Hi Janice,
I decided to revisit Broadfields House as I was due to visit Central Library to start research again this week but as you know events overtook us.
I was hoping that Benjamin Stone had taken a photograph but all I've got so far is the wall with the bus parked outside! Firstly, I think that the information given for the register was probably 'Broadfields House, Lichfield Road' and there wasn't room or the registrar didn't read it properly! The road was known as the Lichfield Road from time immemorial but in later years changed to Sutton Road / Birmingham Road by the house.

I don't think I answered the question about two houses but on the map you sent me it definitely looks as though it has been split into two dwellings. Definitely one in 1841. More things to look at.

Back