• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broadfields House Lindenhurst House

Hi Rubery,
Thanks for confirming that the original building is still complete. It seems that the owners wanted to fill the gap with shops having frontages in line with the other shops but did not want to demolish such a nice building. It is many years since I walked in that area but I do remember looking at it. The original image I posted was from a postcard on ebay.
Just a small point .... the house is shown on the maps as 'Lindenhurst' not 'Lyndenhurst'.

oldmohawk ...:)

Hi Rubery,
Thanks for confirming that the original building is still complete. It seems that the owners wanted to fill the gap with shops having frontages in line with the other shops but did not want to demolish such a nice building. It is many years since I walked in that area but I do remember looking at it. The original image I posted was from a postcard on ebay.
Just a small point .... the house is shown on the maps as 'Lindenhurst' not 'Lyndenhurst'.

oldmohawk ...:)
The census spelt it with a 'y' but happy to use the map spelling for consistency.

I've finally started on my research into Broadfields House (and the old Beggars Bush) which appears to have been next door to the house. Broadfields was built by Joseph Cottrell around 1825 and demolished to make way for the tram terminus (Yenton) at the beginning of the 20th Century. (More about Joseph Cottrell at a later date).
I've tried searching the newspapers on Findmypast for any details but unfortunately my filters don't seem to be working and gave me thousands to search through.
So, can someone help me with sale particulars of the property please? Pedro found an advert for land around there which gave the first mention of 'the other' Beggars Bush. Very helpful Peter.
I looked for a later map at Sutton library yesterday which showed the shops which took the place of the property and the newly built terminus/ access road for the tram. Up until this point the tram used to just stop in the middle of the road and then return. Like other things, this map seems to have gone missing. I'm braving The Woolfson Centre next week so maybe I'll find one while I'm there. Hope the trams are working!
I'm attaching a PC of the shops which replaced Broadfields, purely for interest. It was a huge property and no pictures sadly seem to exist. I shall book another visit to the Archives to look at the Benjamin Stone collection and may be lucky.

Terminus post Broadfields.jpg

Most of the references I found refer to the one near Stourbridge. Did find details of what I assume were earlier sales for house and contents

Aris Birm Gazette.19.10.1835.jpgAris Birm Gazette.28.12.1835.jpg

Most of the references I found refer to the one near Stourbridge. Did find details of what I assume were earlier sales for house and contents

View attachment 163682View attachment 163683
Thanks Mike. Joseph Cottrell died in 1835 and the Moore family had moved in by 1841. It's strange that this house hops about over the border (a bit like the beggars at the bush next door!). The boundary between Sutton and Erdington runs down what is now Broadfields Road and the above property is definitely in Sutton but advertised above as being in Erdington.

Although the property is quite large I think the farming references apply to the land opposite which he also owned. This is now occupied by the Co-op, among other things and Lindenhurst. It all adds greatly to the interest and fills in several more pieces of the jigsaw so thank you again.

In 1851 Broadfield House, Sutton Road, was occupied by a Paul Moore, Metal and hinge manufacturer, employing 150 persons.

The entry on the Census is the last on Sutton Road, and marked as the end of the district in parish of Sutton Coldfield.

However in 1855 the fifth daughter of Paul Moore of Broadfield House, Erdington, was married at Aston Church !

In 1847 his second daughter was married and the Press put the house in Erdington.

Last edited:
Paul Moore died on 22 Nov 1860 and Probate says formerly of Broadfield, Sutton Coldfield, but late of Bolton Lodge,
Arthur Road, Edgbaston.

It seems that around that time and before it may have officially been in Sutton, but as right on the boundary be locally considered Erdington ?

Paul Moore, in Jan 1836 Looks to have had his Warehouse at Great Lister Street Bridge Mill. There was a fire there which caused damage but extensive rolling mills escaped.

March 1833 Isaac Pallett for stealing 400 lbs of mixed metal, property of Paul Moore, 7 years transportation, a
previous conviction for felony having been proved.

The entry on the Census is the last on Sutton Road, and marked as the end of the district in parish of Sutton Coldfield.

However in 1855 the fifth daughter of Paul Moore of Broadfield House, Erdington, was married at Aston Church !

In 1847 his second daughter was married and the Press put the house in Erdington.
This part of the area has always been a bit of a no man's land and the boundary has moved about although I never thought that this was in Erdington. However the occupants must have done.

As they considered themselves to be in Erdington they probably would have attended Erdington Parish church which was consecrated in 1824. However, at this time it was only a chapel of ease and although the clergy could perform baptisms and burials, a marriage as a lawful contract would have to be carried out at the parish church which was Aston as Erdington was still part of that parish until the early 20th century.

Thank you both for your input. I think 'Homelea' is a different property as Peter says as, as far as I can tell, the shops had been built by then. When I next go up Broadfields Road I'll see if there is still a house of that name. Hopefully I'll be able to look at the directories at Central Library to date the shops. 'Chester Road' does appear to be a district on some of the maps but seems to have disappeared now. I'm going to Sutton later but I think I've exhausted all the available material they have on the shelves at the moment but I want to check some information.

Off topic but concerned with the above:
The library has employed a team of archivists to go through the material stored at Sutton. The closure of the library recently, through flooding and the discovery of asbestos and then covid, hasn't helped the access situation. We met the team of archivists on Tuesday and they explained what they hoped to do in the time they have been given. Their first job was to assess what is in the archives and list it, then preserve it and make recommendations. We are all hoping that they will go for keeping it at Sutton and making it available to the research group. There may be other papers in store that would help with the above research but until I know what's there I can't request it. Fingers crossed!

1871 it just puts Sutton Road.
1891 it says Lichfield Road but calls the house Broadfield.
.1636729020207.png
William dies in 1893 the address on his probate is Ampton Road Edgbaston.

Thanks Janice. I have most of the censuses though and as far as I can see Joseph C lived at the house until his death in 1835. Paul Moore had the tenancy on the 1841 & 1851 censuses although his wife died in 1846. By 1861 William Cottrell (Joseph's grandson) was living there with his family and continued to do so until the 1891 census. Shortly after this he moved to Edgbaston where he died in 1893. I think this must be around the time that negotiations began for selling the property. By 1901 Samuel Lefevre was living there.

I haven't had any luck with discovering more about Joseph's early years only that his one daughter was born in Wolverhampton (1861 census but I can't read her married surname!) and in his will he leaves a property in Wednesfield to his son Samuel. Have found a possible Samuel's marriage but no censuses as yet. Joseph also owned Deritend Mill and house (also known as Heath Mill - is this the same as Cooper's Mill?). I was hoping to find a little more about Joseph's property so that I could look for background at Stafford Record Office.

I'm happy to send you any of the documents, including Joseph's will, if you message me your email address please.

Thanks

Janice, I must have been typing the above when you responded. Sorry! Yes, it's the same house - the road is called by several different names and it's the road to Lichfield.

The field the house was built on was called Broadfield (no 's') but the house is Broadfields as is the road. The name seems to apply to several fields adjoining.

From the probate records…

Paul Moore died on 22 Nov 1860, says formerly of Broadfield, Sutton Coldfield, but late of Bolton Lodge,
Arthur Road, Edgbaston.

I'm attaching a photo which isn't very good quality as I took it on my phone. However, it shows the boundary and how close it is to Broadfields. The triangle between Broadfields Road and the house is in Erdington and the house is definitely in Sutton. Joseph Cottrell owned the land opposite the house too. I think he would have bought all the land before road from Birmingham to Lichfield was turnpiked. Joseph thought he lived in Sutton as he's buried at Holy Trinity Church.
009.jpg

Back